Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruise has gone missing

Post Thanks / Like
    Because pressing the cruise on or resume button creates no response or error message as in 'cruise not available' I am thinking it could be becuase actually that switch isn't working so the ECM has no input to react to. Have ordered a second hand cruise switch so will try that before it goes in for expensive diagnostic work. £11 for the brake switch and £13 for the cruise switch may be money down the drain but I'll spend more than that onpetrol just getting backwards and forwards twice to the Indy.
    2004 Jaguar XJ8 SE Pacific Blue /Ivory
    previous jags
    2010 Jaguar XK 5.0 Portfolio
    2005 Jaguar XJ 3.0 Sovereign

VW T 5 camper van
    1976 Suzuki GT750, 1986 Suzuki RG500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Pan Euro, BMW R1100GS, 1998 Yamaha R1

Making the most of internal combustion before we are both put out to pasture.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be the switch not working, but I am wondering if it is more likely there are broken connections in the 'clock spring' that carries the multiple circuits from the steering wheel systems to the main car looms. If your car has not had one fail so far then you would be lucky: the usual one to show it up is the steering wheel airbag fault. This causes the airbag symbol to flash repeatedly on startup. The only way to be sure is to check continuity from the switches into the main loom - not easy to do single handedly.
    2006 X350 XJ8 3.5 V8 Sport Premium (Midnight/Ivory)
    Previous XJs:
    2006 X350 XJ6 2.7 TDVi (Indigo Blue/Barley Straw)
    1999 X308 XJ8 4.0 V8 (Meteorite/Warm Charcoal)
    1996 X300 XJ6 3.2 Executive (Spruce green /cream)
    1994 XJ40 XJ6 3.2 Sport (Gunmetal/Saville grey)

3. Thanks fat controller, davidcumbria thanked for this post
    Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes that sounds plausible Brian. No messages or lights from air bag etc. It had a very eldery previous owner so one thought I had was that he may have had it disabled by JAG MD software but I can find no reference anywhere to suggest this is possible on the standard system. Apparently the ECM does it automatically if the car is in limp mode and it is NOT possible to disable the Adaptive element on those cars that have it (though many would like to). again mine is just the standard CC. hopefully some enlightenment on Monday - please don't let it be a faulty ECM.
    previous jags

VW T 5 camper van
    1976 Suzuki GT750, 1986 Suzuki RG500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Pan Euro, BMW R1100GS, 1998 Yamaha R1

Post Thanks / Like
    Now you mention it, on my previous XJ the cruise switch was a bit hit and miss - no error message but sometimes just wouldn't respond. So the switch idea could be a good one.
    Previous: 2006 X-Type 2.2d S- EBC Turbo Groove & Red Stuff
    2004 XJ Sport 4.2 Black with cream leather
    Current: 2004 XJ Super V8 SWB

"Speed and power solve many things" - JC

6. Thanks davidcumbria thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So tried a replacement cruise switch. No change. Noticed that the switches all light up with exterior lights on so at least some power getting to cruise switch through the clock spring. Fuse, brake inhibitor, wheel switch now all eliminated. Looking forward to hearing what JLR SDD system has to say on Monday. After driving for 3 hours on mway yesterday (35 mpg ) my ankle was getting sore so cruise is something I really want to get thevmost out of the car. On the upside third time I have had the steering wheel area to bits so getting good at this ! Also thinking time to invest in an icar soft tool. More news Monday.
    previous jags

VW T 5 camper van

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcumbria View Post
    ... Noticed that the switches all light up with exterior lights on so at least some power getting to cruise switch through the clock spring...
    'Fraid not. Looking at the wiring diagrams the supply to the switch lights within the steering wheel is completely independent of the 'function' wires to the switches themselves.

The cruise control switch has its own dedicated pair through the cassette/clock spring, completely independent of any lights.
    Last edited by Partick the Cat; 17-11-18 at 12:28.
    "The jaguar is a compact and well-muscled animal." (Wikipedia on Panthera Onca)
    2008 XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi,
    LWB, Sunroof, 19" Polaris, Botanical Green
    2008 Hyundai Getz 1.4
    Previous: 2004 Hyundai Getz; 1990 Merc 190E 2.6; 1987 Nissan Prairie ... 1954 Mk-C 197cc Bond Minicar

9. Thanks davidcumbria thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Partick that's good to know. If it turns out to be the clockspring that's fine by me, an easy fix and better than a problem with ECM or tricky problem with network.
    previous jags

VW T 5 camper van

Post Thanks / Like
    The wires going into the clock-spring at the car end (whatever the plug number is) are colour coded yellow-red and yellow-green. What the colours are inside the steering wheel isn't shown.

All the cruise buttons operate through the same pair of wires, they simply switch in different resistances between them.

'Disengage' seems to switch in the lowest resistance (zero ie a dead short) between them.
    Last edited by Partick the Cat; 18-11-18 at 15:26.
    "The jaguar is a compact and well-muscled animal." (Wikipedia on Panthera Onca)
    2008 XJ Sovereign 2.7 Tdvi,
    LWB, Sunroof, 19" Polaris, Botanical Green
    2008 Hyundai Getz 1.4
    Previous: 2004 Hyundai Getz; 1990 Merc 190E 2.6; 1987 Nissan Prairie ... 1954 Mk-C 197cc Bond Minicar

12. Thanks davidcumbria thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Twit

Ok Humble pie time. When replacing the cruise switch I noticed it was different to the one I took out and further research has revealed that my car does have Adaptive Cruise Control ( ACC) after all, not standard as I have been saying. It does seem as though very knowledgeable jag techs can disable the ACC and get the car electronic system converted to running standard, or just disable it period. This is what i think has happened because I can well imagine my very elderly PO not enjoying ACC interventions. Worse case it may have been disabled because of ACC module failure for which 2003/4 models have form but clearly it needs someone who knows what they are doing to get into depths of SDD. I will see what my local indy can advise and take it from there. My only excuse is that the XK i just owned had very obvious switches for ACC unlike the ones hidden behind the cruise switch on the X350. BTW the forward alert button in the foglight dash unit and system works fine - which I also didn't know I had !

here is a good link to the disabling gen

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...daptive+cruise
    Last edited by davidcumbria; 18-11-18 at 14:12.
    previous jags

VW T 5 camper van

Post Thanks / Like

Solved

SOLVED and nothing to do with ACC or standard in the end.

Preston Jag Centre diagnostics showed it up as broken connection to the switch and replaced the steering wheel clockspring cassette which is the only one of the three switches in the system i hadnt done. £50+vat for the used switch which seems ok compared to £160 for a new one from SNG Barratt. All working fine and enjoyed playing with the settings on the way home. ACC suits motorway wafting really well and I am delighted to get this solved after being exercised by it for the 2 months since purchase. Have seen no other reports of clockspring failure affecting cruise and again there were no error messages or the usual clockspring failure problem which affects the airbag. One final thing the clockspring is called the indicator cancelletion cassette by jaguar which makes it hard to find in the SNG Barratt parts list. well done Preston jag centre and hope this of some use to someone in future

David
    Last edited by davidcumbria; Today at 16:48.
    previous jags

VW T 5 camper van

15. Likes Partick the Cat liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12