Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Eyed Monster or negative comments received on your X150

Post Thanks / Like

Green Eyed Monster or negative comments received on your X150

As a Jaguar owner (X100) since 2004 I have noticed that most are admiring of our cars.

Others are less so or can come out with quite negative comments

1) Neighbours

Having not become a father to two until 2007 my trusty SC'd MX-5 had to go, I'd already got rid of the DB7 and swapped for a XK8 in Antigua blue in Nov 04.

When the kids came along in 2007 (adopted at 3 & 4) I had the jag, the MX-5 and a new 7 seater Citroen Grand Picasso (specifically purchased for carting kids/wife/grandma and au-pair in). When I sold it in 2010 it only had 12k miles on it...as the kids wanted to go everywhere in the Jag (little posers). And being a short@arse at 5'6" there was no problems getting them in the back with child seats

However all of my neighbours with children had what I would call family cars and I could see the men looking at the jag with desire and the women with disgust

Last year when I had the C-HR delivered my neighbour (a 40something woman with a 5yr old) came out and asked/said:

Q) Mark, it's only Dylan and you that live there and you have 3 cars?
    A) Yes Rachel and my driveway will hold 8...so just another 5 to get!

NOT I'm thinking the reply she was hoping for!

2) Pensioners

Yesterday when having my X150 air-con regassed there was a retired man (who was into building mini steam engines) waiting for his Mitsubishi Outlander to have new tyres, when he saw my car he asked

Q) What type of mpg do you get?
    A) About 30 on a M'way run
    Q) Humff, Well it's a bit pretentious and ostentatious if you ask me?
    A) I didn't, but something that usually comes with age and experience is that someone doesn't criticise anyone else's choice, it after all their choice

He then huffed and left.

Now had I had an X/S-type, an XJ or even an F/E-Pace am sure I'd have not had the comments and think they would only apply to XK and F-Type ownership. And NOT crucially stateside where they are into multi-car ownership and no one seems to take any notice. It seems to be a fundamentally British thing.

I should add that I live in rural Somerset where the lifestyle seems quite sedentary and there are few 'flash cars' about. When I am visiting an area life Watford or St Albans there seems no shortage of Aston's, Ferrari's and Lambo's...so perhaps my humble XK just stands out a little more here?

Any stories that you guys can share to reflect the thread title...or indeed debunk it?

PS: As my car is invariably spotless everywhere I go I tend to get a crowd of octogenarian men in flat caps walking/limping around it and admiring, or else teenagers taking selfies. What I would would LIKE are some 30-40something female hotties leaving their phone numbers under my wipers (lipstick is a complete bugger to get off glass!) but am still waiting
    Last edited by MarkyM; 10-11-18 at 09:58. Reason: I should add - regional
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

2. Thanks Jodel thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, joc64, Ian D, Villanova27, t0m4ever and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I find mine gets mostly very positive reaction, when it gets any at all; Aberdeen is full of fairly unfriendly people and lots of nice cars so mine doesn't exactly stand out. If I go elsewhere i see people noticing the car far more than around here. Interestingly, one of our sets of next door neighbours largely stopped talking to me altogether when I got the first one, no great loss there though...

On the other side, a few folk at work were like "we must pay you too much", mostly from people who have things like RS3s and Golf R's on lease - don't get me started. Or the inevitable Q - "go on then, how many MPG does it do?" A - "very few" said with a big smile, sometimes followed with "anyway, when was the last time a tree hugged you back?"
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

4. Likes Jimbov8, joc64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say that I have had nothing but positive reactions to mine. I think it engenders a certain affection as well as admiration.
    When I ran Range Rovers I had quite a bit of adverse reaction: Never let it out at a junction etc. As soon as I switched to a Defender that all changed. Everyone let it out, lots of friendly waves.
    The XK and the Defender could not be more different, but I think that both are somehow emblems of what defines Britishness, and engender affection and a touch of nostalgia.
    2006 XK Indigo Blue with Caramel seats and Sable carpets

6. Likes Jimbov8, Ian D, Villanova27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All positive comments from the neighbours so far, even when starting first thing in the morning. My next door neighbour thought my previous car was louder.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Relatively few comments but all positive. I think because it is grey, it just blends in. Most of my neighbors drive huge SUV's, pick ups and mommie vans. But I have hope, my new next door neighbor. He has a small SUV and a motorcycle and she has a new Dodge Challenger.
    Jack

2007 Jaguar XKR
    2013 Cadillac SRX4
    2012 Honda GoldWing

9. Likes simpo3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only then conclude it must be me and not the car. As Ali G asked regularly 'Is it cos I is black'?

But seriously this is a weird place where my kids get regularly racially abused at school and my Mum (who's a retired vicar) won't visit as it's the only place she's been racially abused in the street...twice!

Suspicions confirmed
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    On the other side, a few folk at work were like "we must pay you too much"
    It's my pension (claimed last month) that allowed me to buy it. Had to claim it as if left any longer it would have made me a higher rate tax payer...and I ain't giving Mr HMIT anything at 40%

Now I manage a retirement complex and it's low paid, so on the odd occasion I've visited others in the southwest I will invariably get some oldster saying 'They must pay you too much'

Oh, HUGE congrats on the updated profile avatar and signature
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

12. Likes Jimbov8, joc64, 8bit, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the stress of people making negative statements gets a bit much, I'd be happy to take the XK off your hands and I'll suffer the comments for you

The XK is one of my favourite cars - to me it is the best looking Jaguar since the E-Type and I can assure you, you'd only get positive comments from me! I'd put any unwelcome comments down to envy and ignore them - as you seem to have done anyway.

I have a humble XF and I've had only positive comments from my neighbours etc. Interestingly, when I had E-Class Mercs, nobody remarked on them at all, but when the Jaguar appeared it triggered remarks from several people who thought of the Mercedes as 'just a car' whereas the Jaguar was seen as something a 'bit special'. An XK is definitely a bit special and I hope you continue to enjoy it.
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

14. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM, joc64, Jimbov8, Ian D, Daverichardson and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodel View Post
    If the stress of people making negative statements gets a bit much, I'd be happy to take the XK off your hands and I'll suffer the comments for you
    Erm...in a word NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jodel View Post
    I have a humble XF
    You're the first XF owner I've heard admit this, most think they own a rapid sports salon
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

16. Likes Jimbov8, Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three points:
    1. Negative comments in general: Never received one on the Jag. And never received any negative comments at home despite having 6 cars, most V8s, in a 1-to-2 4-cyl car neighborhood in Denmark where everybody is envious of anything. So lucky so far
    2. Non-car people reactions: Of my friends and family, some are interested in cars, and they've always liked my special cars, like Camaros, Pantera etc. The not so car interested people have just said "congratulations" when I got something new, and not really cared. The Jag is different, everybody drools over that. They all want rides in it, top down
    3. Women in the street: My previous special cars have not attracted very much female attention. The Jag does indeed. I think, besides its beauty, the women see a meal-ticket, they think I have money, owning a Jag in this car taxed country. What they can't see is it's 11 years old, because it looks like new
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

18. Likes Jimbov8, joc64, Villanova27 liked this post
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast