Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoke from Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like
    Having had the oil changed on Monday of this week (12 Nov to 75% of electronic dipstick), I now have the Service Required! warning on the IC. I've seen the following post explaining why this warning might occur. (I had the warning with no mileage countdown)

From Poundy...

It appears Jaguar anticipate up to 7% fuel in oil dilution due to regens:

Engine Oil Dilution

Engine oil dilution can occur due to small amounts of fuel entering the engine crankcase during the post-injection phases. This has made it necessary to introduce a calculation based on driving style to reduce oil service intervals if necessary. The driver is alerted to the oil service by a message in the instrument cluster.The DPF software monitors the driving style and the frequency of the active regeneration and duration. Using this information a calculation can be made on the engine oildilution. When the DPF software calculates the engine oil dilution has reached a predetermined threshold (fuel being 7% ofengine oil volume) a service message is displayed in the IC.Depending on driving style, some vehicles may require an oil service before the designated interval. If a service message is displayed, the vehicle will be required have a full service and the service interval counter will be reset.

Two oil changes in one week! Car is parked up again, will need another oil change before it can be driven again. Next drive will be the two hundred miles to the dealer where I will hand over the keys and tell them to call me when it is fixed or my bank account has been topped up. Am looking now for another car as I think there might be more issues with this engine due blueish grey smoke. Anyone have any thoughts on the facelift XF 2.2 models. There are also a number of low mileage 2008-2010 XF 3.0 models available so I am quite spoilt for choice.
    2010 XF 3.0D Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    *UPDATE*
    Car was returned to the dealer 3 weeks ago. In good faith, I gave them the opportunity to look at the faults and repair. DPF and EGR cleaned. During test drive, coolant leak found and repaired. During test drive a knocking was coming from the top of the engine. Suspected tappet...
    I've called it quits on this car and the dealer has been very good and offered the refund. Mine was a 2010 3.0 Luxury with 97,000k. Dealer has a 2009 Premium Luxury 3.0 with 50,000k on the clock which he has reduced by £1000 and I've stumped up another £500. Taking the car for a good long test drive on Monday and will hopefully make the swap.
    2010 XF 3.0D Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    is this a franchised dealer? if it is an approved car they should offer 2 years warranty. If not then be very careful... What warranty are they offering?

At 50k miles I would ask for 1. full service 2. gearbox service with ZF or at least assurance of some sort.

Have you thought about AA/RAC inspection prior to purchase?
    XF MY15.5 3.0d S Portfolio Stratus Grey with Ivory interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought about buying from someone else, considering the state of the car they were happy to sell you initially. Doesn't say much about their inspection & preparation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinus View Post
    Have you thought about buying from someone else, considering the state of the car they were happy to sell you initially. Doesn't say much about their inspection & preparation.
    To be fair, I've bought a fair few used cars from main dealers and not one has ever been delivered fault free. The closest was also the worst. My first Merc was perfect for the first hour, then the ignition lock barrel failed and it went back on a breakdown truck.
    Everything else. I've usually noticed some issue or other in the first hour then built up a list for the first couple of weeks, after which it goes back in.
    My E240 had an interior light with a mind of its own, the 270 sounded like a B52 at idle (quiet inside tho) and had trim pieces missing.
    The Jag had bonnet alignment issues.
    Inspections are a bit of waste of time to be honest. Always expect some problem or other. Especially on higher mileage models.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarsmate View Post
    is this a franchised dealer? if it is an approved car they should offer 2 years warranty. If not then be very careful... What warranty are they offering?

At 50k miles I would ask for 1. full service 2. gearbox service with ZF or at least assurance of some sort.

Have you thought about AA/RAC inspection prior to purchase?
    Jaguar should not be selling approved cars over 5yrs old and my first "Approved XF" was a dog so I didn't even get out of the forecourt before getting a full refund. After some research I found out that Tamworth Jaguar were in fact advertising these trade cars as approved when they were not, they didn't word it as approved in the ad but had a approved sticker over the number plate so I assumed it was approved. If it is a Jag main dealer never think that they are not prepared to sell you a dog as my experience proved.
    When I die I want to go like my Granddad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like the people on the back seat.

XF V6 3L Diesel Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Am looking now for another car as I think there might be more issues with this engine due blueish grey smoke. Anyone have any thoughts on the facelift XF 2.2 models. There are also a number of low mileage 2008-2010 XF 3.0 models available so I am quite spoilt for choice.[/QUOTE]

I have the 2.2 sport Sportbrake. P!entry of power and economical . Would I like to change for the 3.0 L engine ? With the low road tax of the 2.2 and drivability I don't think I would.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    To be fair, I've bought a fair few used cars from main dealers and not one has ever been delivered fault free. The closest was also the worst. My first Merc was perfect for the first hour, then the ignition lock barrel failed and it went back on a breakdown truck.
    Everything else. I've usually noticed some issue or other in the first hour then built up a list for the first couple of weeks, after which it goes back in.
    My E240 had an interior light with a mind of its own, the 270 sounded like a B52 at idle (quiet inside tho) and had trim pieces missing.
    The Jag had bonnet alignment issues.
    Inspections are a bit of waste of time to be honest. Always expect some problem or other. Especially on higher mileage models.
    Blue smoke from exhausts & coolant leaks are very different things from bonnet latches & internal lighting. Inspections are not a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I treat every purchase with a buyer beware instinct. I must admit my dealer approved car has been faultless over the 2 years I have owned it. Rear pads last year 4 tyres and 1 wiper blade this year.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinus View Post
    Blue smoke from exhausts & coolant leaks are very different things from bonnet latches & internal lighting. Inspections are not a waste of time.
    My point is only that I've never seen a dealer inspection that's picked up much more than a bald tyre (and I have heard of cars being handed over with bald tyres).
    The Merc was delivered with a missing rear sill plate - minor thing but they'd actually washed and polished the paintwork under where the trim should have been.
    So, yes, they should pick things up but I suspect most are carried out so quickly they don't have time to find much.
    So a coolant leak won't be spotted for example if they inspect it just after its been washed and blue smoke may not be evident immediately or even at all during an inspection. Certainly the inspection won't include an hour's test drive which is the minimum that's needed to find many issues.

To be fair to the mechanics, unless something is blindingly obvious most faults are almost impossible to spot if you don't have a complaint or warning message to guide you as to what you're looking for. So worn parts are easy (tyres/brakes etc) but faults are not. The human brain isn't really geared for that sort of work.

I recently did a security training course, part of which was searching buildings. During a sweep of a room, I checked a glass cabinet and all was fine. It took a nudge from the examiner before I noticed the bomb sitting on the second shelf. We're really bad at spotting the obvious!
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

11. Likes t0m4ever liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12