Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke from Exhaust

Post Thanks / Like

Smoke from Exhaust

Hi All. New the Jag ownership ranks and am a little concerned I've purchased a lemon! (2010 XF 3.0D 98000mls)

Started about a week after purchase. Was decelerating approaching a roundabout (60mph) which was clear. Accelerated (not heavily at all), and there was a large puff of what appeared to be blueish smoke left behind me. On my return from the 300 mile trip, I filled up and checked the oil level. This was reading overfull so was quite concerned. Drove it the short distance home and booked it into my mechanic the next day. Asked him to look for diesel in the oil and do an oil/filter change. He said there wasn't any noticeable diesel in the oil. I can only think that this may have been overfilled by the dealers mechanic when they serviced it prior to sale. Oil now filled to about 75% and will monitor and rise or fall in levels. Am still having the smoking issues after oil change.

I've also noticed a bit of black smoke from the exhaust under acceleration as well as a good buildup of soot around the pipes. I'm suspicious of the DPF here. I've not received any DPF warning lights and the car gets regular good lengthy motorway runs which probably means the system is regenerating. Just wondering why I would see so much soot if this was ok.

Any ideas with ways to troubleshoot this... comment would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still within the 30 day period from purchase which means I can return the vehicle if it has a serious fault and be either refunded of have the dealer fix it. I do love the car and would like nothing more than to have it repaired rather than refunded.

Cheers
    A

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience, the 3.0d doesn’t smoke. There are several reasons for smoke, some quite minor but all needing attention. EGR valve for example. As it’s in the 30 day period I’d contact the dealer and discuss it with them. At the end of the day you want a guarantee that the issue will be resolved, up to and including a full refund if that becomes necessary. It’s almost certainly resolvable but may take you outside the 30 day period so you need reassurance that this won’t be a problem. If not, return it.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    As above. These cars don't smoke. My tailpipes are very clean even inside the bore. If it was a one off id say dpf regen is what you saw ie the ash being ejected. But if youve since done long runs and its still doing it there is a fault. It could be hard to find if there are no eml codes stored. Id take it back and get a refund. There are lots more out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here I would get rid and start again. I don't even get the slightest discolouration in the tailpipe. Could it have had a DPF delete at sometime? I suspect that would have been picked up at MOT time though. Strange you should have a visible degree of smoke with the current emission tests that are carried out.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    There should be no smoke from a car with a DPF. I think the new MoT regs state that any visible smoke is an immediate fail. As others have commented, the tail pipes should be absolutely clean, if you have soot on the tail pipes, a previous owner may have had the DPF removed.
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

Post Thanks / Like
    As Jodel says about the MOT, any smoke is a fail. Sort it now or you're on borrowed time for the next test. I agree with the 'get rid' response - plenty of nice ones out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Return the car and get a refund, there are plenty on the market without problems.

The last car I had that emitted blue smoke on acceleration after slowing down had worn valve guides that were letting oil pass and enter the cylinder chamber.

As others have said it could have a deleted DPF and a current MOT certificate is no guarantee, it's still possible to buy forged ones or find a garage that will pass the car for a fee.
    2010 XF 3.0D Premium Luxury in Ebony Black with cream interior.. .

Post Thanks / Like
    at 98k its quite normal for a Turbo to be passing a little oil vapour into the system. It does seem that the DPF may have been removed. As for visable smoke on the MOT test, well theres no measurement, and is totaly down to the tester, at the time of the test, the vehicle that doesnt emit something hasnt been invented yet. If a Diesel passes the new lower emission tests, then thats prety much all the tester has to go on. A vehicle in reasonable condition will still pass the emission (particulate) test even without a DPF fitted. The presence of the monolith inside the box is very hard to prove or disprove, even if you can see a weld running around a patch on the bottom of the box, even then its a pass and advisory item.
    Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
    2002 S Type R with LPG
    Master vehicle technician. IMI Professional Advanced Tuner.
    Please check out my Facebook page: Snows Garage Ltd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your advice. I’ve spoken to the dealer and he has been pretty good about it. I’ll let you know what happens.
    2010 XF 3.0D Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Its worth noting that under Consumer Rights Act you can go back to the dealer any time during the first 6 months after purchase, they have to prove any fault wasn't there at the time of purchase, which is difficult to do. You must give them the chance to put it right, but if they can't you can reject it. Don't stand for any rubbish from them.
    3.0D 2012 (62) XF-S Premium Luxury IRR
    Previous: 3.0D 2009 (59) XF Luxury, 2002 (52) S Type 3.0 S

11. Likes kiksumaz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast