Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: led bulbs for my x-type

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, just as Lostit pointed out that "contact lens" headlight design is such a bad design especially for the X-Type as the headlights are smallish by standards. I would love to have seen a form-fitting HELLA design with flush lenses instead on the X-Type.
    2002 X-Type 2.5 V6
    Mina Inserts HID+LED+DRL Chrome Mirror Caps/Petrol Flap/Sleeves Clear Markers/Repeaters REMIN/RVINYL Carbon-Fiber Trim Facelift Plinth NGK Red Tail Tips H&R SS Sports Edition F10 17x8 Hankook 225x45ZR17 Ventus V12 Silver Calipers w/Decal Drilled/Slotted Rotors EBC/Red Stuff K&N 2-Tone GL Steering Wheel Cover Sheepskin Inserts Alum/Dead Pedals HR Leaper SP Lights Infotainment: iSimple TranzIt BLU HF Sony XDP-MU110 DSP 8-Speaker+JBL BassPro SL WiFi Dash-Cam Laser Radar Detector

Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh heh.... The headlight question has been of constant discussion almost since the start of the X-Type pages... I'm not a great fan of HID headlights... great for the driver of the vehicle so fitted, but effing awful for everyone else on the road... It may be because I learnt to drive in an old 1964 VW beetle with its 6v headlamps...in danger of blowing out in a strong headwind... but I get on just fine with the standard headlights... though I have fitted a better standard bulb.

The real issue I have concerns the 'blowing' of left hand low beam bulbs... On both my X types (consecutive not concurrent) this has been an issue... I've always thought of putting a better earth lead may improve matters. The logic being it may ease the voltage shock when the headlights are first switched on.
    "A Vodka Martini."
    'Shaken or stirred?'
    "Do I look like I give a damn?"

X-Type SE 3.0L Auto silver, SE 2500 Auto, Adriatic Blue, deceased

3. Thanks Lost it thanked for this post
    Likes Lost it, RWD3M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    It may be because I learnt to drive in an old 1964 VW beetle with its 6v headlamps...in danger of blowing out in a strong headwind...
    Best chuckle of the day so far...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

5. Thanks Mike S thanked for this post
    Likes Mike S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Mike, extremely bright HIDs and LEDS might be great for the driver, for everyone else they range from annoying to downright dangerous on unlit roads in the rain. Philips XtremeVision +130 Halogens are just fine with good clean and clear lenses.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

7. Thanks Mike S thanked for this post
    Likes Mike S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was 1947 (a carried over pre-war model) but had 12V electrics (albeit positive earth) and hydraulic brakes which were both cutting edge. T'was a Morris Ten Series M and the headlights had the solenoid operated dipping system common in those dark days. It went to main beam properly and brought on the nearside headlight (dipped was o/s only) but to dip again I had to pull over and get out and thump the o/s lamp to make the reflector flip down again. The semaphore 'trafficators' were also solenoid operated and also needed a thump get them to come out. The saving grace of the car was the huge rear leg room and the 'ankle straps' on the 'B' posts...

9. Likes Roadrunner69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first car was a 58 Ford Consul, complete with vacuum windscreen wipers that ground to a halt going uphill. Youngsters of today don't know how lucky they are Motco
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by motco View Post
    headlights had the solenoid operated dipping system common in those dark days.
    Ironically that's how my current car's HID system dips now, - a solenoid drops a mask in front of the bulb.....
    (EX) '06 2.0D SE Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner69 View Post
    My first car was a 58 Ford Consul, complete with vacuum windscreen wipers that ground to a halt going uphill. Youngsters of today don't know how lucky they are Motco
    You had vacuum windscreen wipers? You were lucky.............
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

13. Likes Roadrunner69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Morris Ten had electric wipers but they had to be engaged in the drive manually to work by way of the downward tilted knobs either side of the centre. The passenger side would remain static if it wasn't engaged after the main one. The windscreen opened by way of a crank (centre) mechanism, and there was a driver operated blind on the rear window instead of dipping mirror. A chum's Vauxhall Ten had wiper driven off the cam or crankshaft so that unlike the vacuum type, the faster you drove the faster they went. It was early days in the development of secondary features. The major stuff like pedal positions was standardised but little else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs_1947_morris_10m_dashboard.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	29374

Post Thanks / Like
    My Morris Ten had electric wipers but they had to be engaged in the drive manually to work. The passenger side would remain static if it wasn't engaged after the main one. The windscreen opened by way of a crank mechanism, and there was a driver operated blind on the rear window instead of dipping mirror. It would do sixty on three quarters throttle and if you floored it the noise level would rise but not the speed!

A chum's Vauxhall Ten had wiper driven off the cam or crankshaft so that unlike the vacuum type, the faster you drove the faster they went. It was early days in the development of secondary features. The major stuff like pedal positions was standardised but little else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fs_1947_morris_10m_dashboard.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	29374

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast