Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X350 versus x308 driving experience

Post Thanks / Like

X350 versus x308 driving experience

Saw a few 308s when my car was in Preston jag centre recently and have to agree with many that it's the best looking XJ. Lots of discussions about that around. Also on fuel consumption, toys, structural rot, engine reliability, boot and passenger space issues the 350 wins hands down. What interests me and doesn't seem to be very much discussed is the difference in driving experience. I loaned a s type when my car was in and the weight, steering and suspension made it feel rather cumbersome and dated compared with my light touch, agile and floaty x350. Be interested to hear the view of people who have driven both 308 and 350 leaving the looks/ reliability issues to one side. How different are they and which is preferable for diffferent types of driving ? And no I'm not thinking of selling my 350
    2004 Jaguar XJ8 SE Pacific Blue /Ivory
    previous jags
    2010 Jaguar XK 5.0 Portfolio
    2005 Jaguar XJ 3.0 Sovereign

VW T 5 camper van
    1976 Suzuki GT750, 1986 Suzuki RG500, Ducati ST4s, Honda Pan Euro, BMW R1100GS, 1998 Yamaha R1

Making the most of internal combustion before we are both put out to pasture.

2. Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David.

I could bore for England (and have done) extolling the virtues of the X308.

I've had a dozen Jaguars and thoroughly enjoyed most.
    From a general viewpoint, the X308 LWB Sovereign I owned was the best.

The ride was superb, comfort in the driving seat, physical appearance and build quality.
    All those above were superior to either of the X350's I have recently owned.
    It was precise, light and although a LWB, manoevering the battleship wasn't tough.

Before I owned one, the talking point in favour of the X350 was the lightness due to the extensive use of alloys and plastics over good old mild steel. There were great claims about fuel economy and the absence of corrosion. Also, major improvements inside the cabin.

I distrust the media and so-called experts and always trust my instincts and experience.
    In the end, I tried the x350 and found it largely Jaguar of old, but not exactly the same.
    Sure, it was and is, slightly less sleek, almost akin to the 420 or even the Mk10 with the beer belly.
    Nevertheless, after owning an X Type briefly, it was good to get back in the full-size car again.

Unlike many contributors gracing these pages, I don't find this car much of an improvement over it's predecessor, in fact given the choice, I would trade mine tomorrow for the car I stupidly wrote off 4 years ago.
    One reason for the 'upgrade' to the X350 was price. When I was looking around, getting a 308 for sensible money was impossible compared to the deals generally offered on X350's. I just couldn't buy a 308 for anything like what I paid for my beauty back then.

I know I'm biased, but then again, to be truly impartial one must have experienced good and bad in both models.
    I've only had good experience with the X308, but definitely both in the X350.

Trouble is - this, like so many discussions here, the debate is all opinion based.
    Someone who had a bad X308 will think I've lost the plot. Especially if they own a good 350!
    Bear in mind, I used to drive a V12 XJ-S and called that the stupidest car I ever owned.
    That could give you some idea of the worth of my opinion.

Phil.
    Phil Dean.
    2005 V6 2.7 JRG / Ivory - 'Green Hornet'
    'Christine' is 'up north' learning the dialect

4. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, Ashanti, JimC64, davidcumbria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am lucky enough to have owned 3 X308's; Jag Sov 4.0, Daimler V8 and my current hobby car; a Daimler Super V8. I have also owned 3 X350/8 models; a 2003 Super v8 and two 2.7tdi X358 Sovs; one of which is my current daily driver.

I think both are incredible cars. The X350 is so reliable, comfortable and has a great balance of old/modern styling. The build quality is pretty similar in both as far as I can see, with a slight, and inevitable performance and economy benefit on the newer models.

I think the handling is league's ahead in the X350, although the ride quality has suffered slighty; and is a bit more wallowy and soft in the X308.

I actually prefer the X308 (personal taste). But... I think the X358 is the better car all round.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Currently awaiting verdict after accident)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car/Temporary work horse!)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the X308 is such a beautiful shape, the side profile is better than the X350/8. Very low and sleek design.
    If I was to buy another XJ, it possibly would be a late X308 XJR in black:

The ride quality is better on the X308, as Chris mentions. Ideally, the X350 should have had a switch for Comfort/Sport settings.

My take is that, though they look very similar, under the skin they are very different. The X308 is a old fashioned exerience, but the X350 is quite modern in reality- propably as the X308 is based on the XJ40 from the late 80s, whereas the X350 was built from the ground up early 2000s. Neither is a bad thing, just a matter of personal preferance.

It made me laugh a bit when my X350 gets called a classic car, due to its old fashioned styling. The alloy construction technology used is still considered cutting edge and the toys included are only now starting to be filtered down to cheaper, modern cars. That said, there should have been more options, like soft close doors, keyless, ect.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

7. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If i was to have another Jag it would have to be a late X308..

Or the 2008 Supersport
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - Retired.
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

9. Likes C16RKC, davidcumbria liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    2008 Supersport? You mean Super V8 ?
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

11. Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    2008 Supersport? You mean Super V8 ?
    Oh yes i got me years mucked up..

One of these would also do me well..

Minus the round headlights of course!
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - Retired.
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

13. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Henry, you no longer covet my Super V8, good cause you ain't getting it

I've not driven the 308, but have always admired its stance and looks.

Had I the money to become a typical 2 Jag Northerner, I would consider the 308, but then I'd start looking at the XJC.

In fact it's only today that I've driven a completely different model of Jaguar.

Still not got the brass to buy another, but the dealer ain't gonna know that when I turn up in the Super wearing the new waistcoat and brogues.

All because I now need to take an F Type V8 out for a blast to rid me of the XKR experience.

Sadly it is unlikely I will ever own either.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

15. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    In my opinion, the X308 is such a beautiful shape, the side profile is better than the X350/8. Very low and sleek design.
    If I was to buy another XJ, it possibly would be a late X308 XJR in black:

The ride quality is better on the X308, as Chris mentions. Ideally, the X350 should have had a switch for Comfort/Sport settings.

My take is that, though they look very similar, under the skin they are very different. The X308 is a old fashioned exerience, but the X350 is quite modern in reality- propably as the X308 is based on the XJ40 from the late 80s, whereas the X350 was built from the ground up early 2000s. Neither is a bad thing, just a matter of personal preferance.

It made me laugh a bit when my X350 gets called a classic car, due to its old fashioned styling. The alloy construction technology used is still considered cutting edge and the toys included are only now starting to be filtered down to cheaper, modern cars. That said, there should have been more options, like soft close doors, keyless, ect.
    Funny looking at that image Alec.

I do, deep down, love black shiny coachwork, except maintaining it of course .
    That said, I always feel that the natural beauty of the Jaguar saloon curves isn't enhanced by black.

That picture is undoubtedly a cracker, but it's just a shiny lump. Where's the definition?
    I don't profess to know the answer or which colour is really best, so I'm not trying to be critical.
    I bet white is the same and that IS my very favourite colour in a Jaguar.

Designers and Engineers sweat and agonize over minute details, yet there are times when the moment paint is applied, it all goes to hell in a handbasket. Just like everything that's a matter of opinion, we all know what looks best - that's why they make a range - to please everyone.....

As for the ride, I often wonder why something like the Citroen back in the 70's had adjustable suspension (of a fashion, albeit clumsy), yet our beloved cars lack that personal touch. We place far too much faith in computerized gizmos - IMHO.

Phil.
    Phil Dean.
    2005 V6 2.7 JRG / Ivory - 'Green Hornet'
    'Christine' is 'up north' learning the dialect

17. Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had the pleasure of driving an X308 (but would not refuse if anyone is offering!), however I did have an X305 which I loved dearly despite it financially raping me. Comparing my memories of the X305 to the current X358........ well, I would say that the X305 was slower, noisier, felt heavier and less reliable, but felt a bit more solid in a lot of areas; the X358 is much more modern, and is a much nicer place to be - the ride is firmer, yet still errs on the side of comfort, and of course it has much more in the way of creature comforts (the touches like the automatic switching on of heated screens when it is freezing, and indeed the heated front screen itself are just superb!)

To put a bit of perspective in as well - since parting ways with my X305, I have had four cars - a Mercedes C180 (10 years old), a VW Passat TDI (3 years old), an Audi A4 Avant (3 years old) and a Nissan Qashqai (6 months old); I have recently taken ownership of my X358 (10 years old), and it stands head and shoulders above any of the other cars in terms of ride, comfort and driving pleasure.

The one thing that seems to have carried over to some degree is the character traits that are all part and parcel of a Jaguar; those occasional electrical niggles, or the odd fault that drives you mad trying to find it. Those of us that love them, accept these as part of life, and we will eventually sort whatever niggle arises. We don't really own our Jaguars, we are merely their caretakers.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

19. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti, C16RKC, davidcumbria liked this post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast