Thread: New car is here

Post Thanks / Like

New car is here

Hi all,
    I have got my new car today. As I mentioned, it's a ex-demo, first edition, almost all accessories and packs.
    From the dealer to home it took me ages because of the traffic and rain, so I can't say too much, but I have already a few first impressions.

The car I tried was the 300P and I feared that the 180D would have been a bit disappointing. I was completely wrong: as silent as the petrol, good acceleration (and I forgot that I was in ECO), very responsive.
    I had to drive through some of the lakes that form on British roads when it rains and the stability is very good. With my previous car I would have had some troubles in this situations, while with the E-Pace I could barely feel the water. Superb wipers, the windscreen got completely submerged by water while I was driving through one of those nice ponds and the rain sensor cleared it in one second. Previously I would have had to act manually.
    Lights seems very good, but I still have to try to auto high beam assist. I have to say that I could not see much on the road because of the rain and water...
    Comfort is just... wow. I can't understand while reviews are saying that the interior is disappointing. I really can't.
    I have started trying some of the features of the car, like remote app to monitor the car and these kind of things. They look promising, time will tell if they are just nice gadgets or if they are worth.
    About gadgets, the ambient light settings is nice, but I would not have paid for that
    And head-up display... ohh that is nice, very nice. I thought it might have been distracting, but it is actually very handy.
    Satnav indications are good, except for two things: it would be nice to know beforehand the next turn, so you can prepare yourself, and I really don't like the indication on the roundabout (just a circle with the exit number). Still, very responsive and accurate.

Well, I'll see how it goes. I confess I'm quite in love with this car. Tomorrow it will be the first trip to work... I'm just worried about parking. Jaguar could have invested a little bit more efforts in the mirror closure system and made them go more inside the car envelope.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181124_151837s.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	29117

2. Likes C16RKC, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the first day of commute to work, some more impression.
    Consumption has been 42mpg, very good considering that it has been all country roads.
    Car stability is amazing, it feels like it runs on tracks.
    The lane assist is very useful -ok, my case is a bit particular as I come from a LHD and I'm used to seat near the edge of the road. As I still have to get used to the size of the car, it tells me when I'm getting too close to the edge.
    The collision radar seems a little bit too sensitive, as it triggered the alarm twice on a couple of roundabouts even if I was slowing down and there was absolutely no risk of collision. But it's still a good thing to have.

The only not-completely-positive note is about the high beam assist. I have disabled it because I have the feeling it is going to disturb too much the other driver. The high beam goes off quickly as soon as the light of an incoming car is detected, but it seems that is not going off that quickly when you have a car in front of you going in the same direction (so you see the red lights instead of the headlights). Since being blinded by other cars is one of the things I hate most since I moved to UK, I prefer to use the high beam manually.

Everything else is just wonderful for now. The car had great success at work too

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking car, I think it's safe to say you're a tad happy with it.

Red with Black, probably the best colour combo there is in all manor of things, not just cars.

Keep the updates coming, your experiences will be useful to many who maybe considering one.

Even if they won't own up to it

Enjoy,

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I admit it, I'm in love with this car. For the first time I have been desiring to have a longer way to work to be able to drive it more
    My other car is a 28 years old Mercedes, where I have been sitting as a passenger for 13 years and as a driver for other 15 years. The E-Pace, of any car I have been trying so far, is the first car where I find the same level of comfort -plus all the benefits of modern technology of course.
    I'm really surprised that this car is sold in the same price range of other small SUV, because what you get is definitely one level above competitors.

edit: I forgot to mention, the car is unbelievably quiet. I can hear the noise of the road, the engine is just in the background.

6. Thanks Ek Thai thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice E Pace!

Post Thanks / Like
    Morning,

I see you've had the car a month, just wondering what your thoughts are now.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have been away for three weeks so it is still as it was before Christmas: extremely positive.
    I will travel to Netherlands by car next week, so I will have the chance to use it for a long drive -and on roads better than some Surrey hills country road...
    I have been driving an X3 in the past days and, despite the fact that the E-Pace is presented in the same group as X1 (and same price in UK), it's definitively closer to X3 (F25) in terms of comfort and drive than to the X1. I think the E-Pace is more comfortable (seats are better, in my opinion) and smoother to drive than the X3, while the X3 probably consumes a bit less. X3 engine is noisier and more "diesel", in my opinion. Everything else is roughly the same, but I find the interior of the E-Pace more elegant.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I have got the car back from the garage after a check. They have updated the on board computer with the latest version, I've got Phase 4 now. A lot of changes, it's more responsive. I still have to find a couple of things, but it looks nice. Android car works... decently. I have tried for a few minutes but I'm not too enthusiastic about it.
    They have updated also the seat module driver to see if it stops losing the memory.
    This is on the good side.
    On the bad side, they could not fix the read camera because they needed to order the part. I'll get it done another day.
    On the very bad side, when I drove the car this morning, after three weeks being parked, the AEB and collision alert were not working. It turned out that the front camera is broken and need to be replaced. Backordered, since it is not available. This really annoys me, since it broke with the car parked and not being used, and I'm leaving for two weeks with the car this weekend. Besides AEB and collision alert, speed limit recognition seems off and keep lane assist seems also not to be working any more. Of course, I never had them and I can drive without them, but it's a pity.
    I have got also a bit annoyed with the dealer. In 6 weeks I have not received the V5 yet, and it turned out this morning that they had not send it back to DVLA yet. Now I need to go abroad and I don't have any car documentation. Not good at all.

A question about going abroad with the car: there are a number of accessories mandatory on the continent. I already had the reflective vest (orange, safer to be used in France in these days ), EU sticker, triangle from my other car, etc., what I don't have are spare bulbs, obviously not provided with a British car. My E-Pace has LED lights and the dealer told me that LED lights are exempt from the need to have spare bulbs -obviously-, but I was wondering if there are any other lights in the car that would require a spare...

11. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After a couple of trips of 350+ miles each, I can say that my feeling with the car is still very good.
    The car is very comfortable for long drives, consumption has been ranging from 42mpg to 36mpg (which is a bit odd actually, I know that Netherlands are below sea level, but I don't think that coming back could be classified as going up hill and imply more fuel consumption ). The adaptive cruise control works like a charm and adds a lot of safety to the drive on motorways. I confirm it actually brakes, it's not just "lifting" the accelerator.
    Driving in EU is very nice, finally wide, straight roads , but while with my other (LHD) cars I could reach the other window (in UK) fairly easy, the E-Pace is just too wide and, if you don't have a passenger, it might be tricky entering a parking or paying a toll.

About my small technical issue, apparently the garage has not got yet the spare parts (how can a camera be out of stock for one month?).
    Interesting thing: according to the warnings, emergency braking system and forward alert should not be working. Adaptive cruise control should not be working either, as I get the yellow indicator when I enable it. But... they all work fine (ok, I haven't tried to emergency brake and I intend to stay far from it). Speed limit recognition and lane assist are not working, and there is not indication of that -apart from the obvious fact that they are not working...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear the dealers are being their usual awkward selves; but its great that you are enjoying the car!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com