Thread: Manual gearbox (Getrag 290) and flywheel questions

Post Thanks / Like

Manual gearbox (Getrag 290) and flywheel questions

I'll soon be converting my X300 XJR from auto to manual box. I already have all the components, but I have a couple questions about the gearbox and flywheel:

1. I've heard that the 3.6L XJS flywheel is considered an "upgrade" from the original dual-mass flywheel used in the manual X300 cars, but I don't know why, nor do I know whether it should be a direct fit. Does anyone have more details on this?
    2. Searching for information on the Getrag 290 also yields results for the HM290, New Venture NV3500, GM 5LM60, and something referred to as the "G290/5" that was apparently used in the Alpina B10 BMW. Is the Getrag 290 used by Jaguar actually one of these variants? I know that some of them are for 4WD applications. What are the differences between them otherwise? I'd like to know so that I can order the appropriate rebuild kit when the time comes.

--Colin

Post Thanks / Like
    point 1
    A single mass flywheel is only an improvement in the eyes of the "simpler is better" brigade. A DMF is a great piece of kit and well worth having - it keeps the in-car noise down substantially.

point 2
    Getrag 290 is the transmission variant you're after - and you need only the Jaguar one. By then, it had an integral bellhousing and none of the other variants will fit. The BMW variant is a different bellhousing pattern and the engine is installed on an angle. The others (GM/NV, etc) are all for pick-up trucks and the shifter comes out the top of the box - you cannot move it.

You do also have the option of the Getrag 265 box from the earlier XJ-S Manual. These were available with a separate bellhousing.

3. Thanks cmb thanked for this post
    Likes rtcosic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! This is good information.

Do you happen to know if the baulk rings, bearings, and seals are interchangeable between the different variants? There are many affordable rebuild kits on US eBay with titles like "Chevy Getrag 290 3rd Design NV3500 5 Speed Transmission Rebuild Bearing Kit". I'm wondering if they would be useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess would be that they're not going to be completely compatible, no. Pick-up truck transmissions for example are more likely to have triple or kevlar first and second synchro assemblies