Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tyres fitted, now brakes judder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joc64 View Post
    I know what you mean about working on our cars in the past. What I was younger (and earning less and with less reliable cars) I used to do almost everything on my MGs and Minis. In fact I spent more time under my MGB than in it! I leave such things to the professionals nowadays; but since Ive had the XK Ive enjoyed tinkering with it.

Im sure our shudders are not related to the tyres, but the coincidence just seemed too remarkable!
    Mine gives a sort of creaking groan as I release the parking brake on a hill, similarly if I'm holding the car back with a very light foot brake application. To me it feels like pad chatter & general flexing of the suspension bushes. I'lll be replacing the pads this Friday after the tyre changes so I'll have a dig around while its up on the ramp.
    Like others my days of crawling around on the floor beneath cars are over, if I work on any car now it's got to be on a ramp in a heated garage, with Tea on tap
    2014 XKR in Italian racing red with speed & black packs, 20" Vortex wheels & charcoal interior

2. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Theory: Could discs be put on flat but not centered if they're only held by wheel? Or slightly "not-flat" so they go side to side when turning? Is it front (steering wheel shaking) or rear? If you can determine front or rear, can you take off 2 wheels to look?
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

4. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The discs should be held in position by two washers that grip the stud thread.
    If you are able to raise the wheels and spin them, you will hear the pads lightly touching the disc making a shhhh sound. If one wheel makes a schhh schhh schhh sound equal to every revolution of the wheel, thats the one to check if the disc has been misaligned. It which will create brake shudder.
    Probably a badly balanced wheel or the fitter left his spanner inside the tyre!
    Good luck.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

6. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Likes MarkyM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
    Mine gives a sort of creaking groan as I release the parking brake on a hill, similarly if I'm holding the car back with a very light foot brake application. To me it feels like pad chatter & general flexing of the suspension bushes.
    My car also does this if I hold the car on the brakes in a queue and slightly let the brakes off so the car starts to creep. It has done this since I bought the car, so I assumed this was normal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    Theory: Could discs be put on flat but not centered if they're only held by wheel? Or slightly "not-flat" so they go side to side when turning? Is it front (steering wheel shaking) or rear? If you can determine front or rear, can you take off 2 wheels to look?
    This is a good point and well worth investigating along these lines. As far as I can determine, the shaking comes from the front, I feel it through the steering wheel, which slightly oscillates left / right very rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    If you are able to raise the wheels and spin them, you will hear the pads lightly touching the disc making a shhhh sound. If one wheel makes a schhh schhh schhh sound equal to every revolution of the wheel, thats the one to check if the disc has been misaligned. It which will create brake shudder.
    Probably a badly balanced wheel or the fitter left his spanner inside the tyre!
    Good luck.
    I may well try this at the weekend, that is a very good way to determine where the issue lays.

I have also called the garage that fitted the tyres and I will take the car back there tomorrow afternoon. Let's see if they can determine the cause..

Many thanks for all the replies, very useful information.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by No Quarter View Post
    If bolts are tightened unevenly, the discs can be warped. Tried that years ago with another car. Most don't use torque wrenches, they use power tools to speed up so they have no clue
    The disks were not warped prior to the new tyres being fitted, and indeed, these are new disks as I requested a new set when I purchased the car 6 months ago, so these front disks have only covered about 2,500 miles.

If the bolts were tightened unevenly a week ago, could this have permanently and irretrievably warped the disks, or would this situation rectify itself if the bolts are removed then tightened properly? I will add that the garage fitting sheet does specify the torque used to tighten the nuts, along with the air pressure in the tyres, but nothing proves that is what really happened, of course.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagnite View Post
    Not absolutely. The washers are there to help hold the disc more-or-less in place while trying to lift the wheel onto the studs. You don't really need them but they are nice to have. Like the wheel, the disc is also centred on the hub. However, the mating faces of the hub and the disc should be completely clean or the disc does not sit flat.

The most common reason for brakes to judder is uneven disc surface due to corrosion or pad material transfer. A few repeated hard braking might clear this. If already too bad, it can make it worse as deep corrosion seems to create high-spots that, one, cause the judder and two, heat and harden making the high-spots permanent. New discs are then the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by bass2rez View Post
    My car also does this if I hold the car on the brakes in a queue and slightly let the brakes off so the car starts to creep. It has done this since I bought the car, so I assumed this was normal?
    Mine started doing this when I changed from stock pads to aftermarket (TRW) pads. After seeing how weak these pads measure on the TV tester, I went back to the stock pads and the creaking on stopping or very light use has almost vanished. I feel that the comparatively low friction aftermarket pads are the cause. What pads are you using?
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update to my juddering brakes issue. I took the car back to the tyre fitters and they took the car out for a test drive. They felt the brake judder, but as the car is smooth between 50 - 70 MPH they have eliminated it being out of balance wheels and said that they believe the brake judder starting after the new tyres were fitted is a coincidence.

So, I'm on my own with getting the brake judder rectified. I have yet to decide on the best way forward from here.

Many thanks for all the useful advice on this thread, it is much appreciated and I'm sure will prove useful once my initial disappointment at this issue having occurred has subsided.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bass2rez View Post
    I have yet to decide on the best way forward from here.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    First job is to raise the wheel off the ground, spin and listen, as per my post above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast