Thread: Tyre choices - Just fitted Michelin PS4S, what do you have fitted to your XKR?

Post Thanks / Like

Tyre choices - Just fitted Michelin PS4S, what do you have fitted to your XKR?

When I purchased my XKR six months ago, it had part worn Pirelli P Zero on the back and Uniroyal Rainsport 3 on the front. This combination never gave me much confidence, the front end especially felt very vague on turn-in to the corner and was very imprecise around the rest of the corner. Overall very unsatisfactory handling, but I was sure the XKR should feel better than that, so set about finding some tyres that would suit the car better.

After reading the Evo 2018 tyre test, I decided to try the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I have never fitted Michelin tyres to any car previously, so it was with some trepidation that I ordered a set at almost £850 fitted, through Blackcircles. I have only covered around 100 miles since they were fitted, but immediately I can feel that the turn-in is much sharper, so I am pleased with that. The tyres also grip very well in the rain, which is just as well, as that's all we have had since Friday! The tyres feel like they are biting into the road, which is a feeling I have never had before, even with the Goodyear Eagle F1's I have fitted to my cars in the past, and which until now have been my personal performance tyre benchmark. After I have covered a few more miles on these tyres I will write a more detailed review.

I'm interested in any other opinions on the Michelin PS4S, as well as opinions on other tyres for the XKR, both good and bad.

Thanks,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 4s's on the rear of my '10 XKR and the difference between them and the Sport Maxx's that were on the car before is like night and day.

Their grip is phenomenal and makes it a lot safer to use the extra horsepower my car has. The Sport Maxx's would break traction at the slightest provocation even when the car was running the factory tune and also had a habit of slipping sideways quite sharply if I pulled out of a junction in the wet.

I basically had no confidence about putting my foot down especially in the wet.

I have also just gone through the winter here with the 4s's with temperatures occasionally down to 0 deg and didn't notice much of a drop in performance.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~600bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=121.89)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

3. Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like you I got the same deal from blackcircles on a set of PS4S's 295 rear/255 fronts

Having had MPSS's on my old X100 they were always going to be the tyres I fitted when I got my XKR

A very very accomplished tyre and even at zero this morning on the way to the gym they felt compliant...so much so I've put off fitting my winter rubber!
    2014 XK Dynamic R
    Audi A6/C6 quattro
    Toyota C-HR Hybrid

5. Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my car last year, it had 20" Michelin Pilot Super Sports front and rear. The set was very old however, 2011-2012, so while there was tread and grip seemed still good, they were noisy and terrifyingly prone to tramlining. Thus, upon switching to winter tires this autumn, I had them thrown away.

For a replacement set, I was torn between PS4S and Goodyear Eagle F1. I've no doubt the Michelins are better in terms of performance, but I'm not exactly a fast driver, and the Goodyears are supposedly quite a bit quieter, and have more rounded shoulders which should mean less tramlining.

Somewhat incredibly, I stumbled upon a very nice guy who had had an accident with his BMW M6, and sold me an unused 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 set for £490; about half of what the set would cost new in Finland (or if delivered from abroad, I checked)!

Only problem is, this guy really liked yellow, so I'm going to have to figure out how to remove the paint.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 05-12-18 at 10:05.
    2007 XK 4.2 - Liquid Silver & Charcoal (pre-production; VIN 00031)
    Ex:
    2001 X-Type 2.5 SE - Platinum, Dove & Granite

7. Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had Pilot sport 4 fitted on the front and Pilot Sport 4S on the rear on Friday of last week as Michelin don't do 4S in 245/40/19.
    The ride feels softer but as I've only done about 20 miles so far, I can't really compare them to the P Zero's that came off.
    Will be watching this thread with interest and update my findings when I've done a few more miles.
    2007 Slate Grey 4.2 XK-R Convertible
    Jagwrangler one touch roof and rear windows mod. Rear spoiler antenna and boot lid amplifier upgrade. Fuse 19 switch installed discretely below dash/steering wheel. Red stuff brake pads. Replacement white "R" caliper decals.

9. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pzeros currently, will be on MPS4s this Friday
    Found the Pzeros liveable (but still not the most confidence inspiring) in the summer, but when the temperature dropped below 15 deg then they were very poor, add the wet weather & they just had to go...
    Also had Pzeros on both my XFs, found them similar but the XKr magnifies the lack of grip.

I've had Michelins on several previous cars & found them consistantly good, especially in the wet.
    2014 XKR in Italian racing red with speed & black packs, 20" Vortex wheels & charcoal interior

11. Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I swapped from Dunlops to MPS4S on my XFR and the difference was definitely like night and day, a massive improvement in both wet and dry conditions.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

13. Thanks MarkyM thanked for this post
    Likes bass2rez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minor update on my Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tyres, more to do with the tyre itself, rather than the performance.

I have noticed that the tyres have "Extra load" written on the sidewall. Is this a cause for concern?

Further, the rear tyres are "Made in USA" and the front tyres are "Made in France". Again, any cause for concern with this?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited by bass2rez; 06-12-18 at 13:51. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,
    My PS4S on the rears were also made in the USA while my front PS4 tyres were made in Spain.
    Both sets have the "extra load" markings on them so I take it it's normal.
    As an aside, I did contact Michelin about my front size (19 inch) being available in Europe/UK but there's no intention of them being made available, I guess there's not enough call here but there is in America. HEY HO !
    Nick
    2007 Slate Grey 4.2 XK-R Convertible
    Jagwrangler one touch roof and rear windows mod. Rear spoiler antenna and boot lid amplifier upgrade. Fuse 19 switch installed discretely below dash/steering wheel. Red stuff brake pads. Replacement white "R" caliper decals.

16. Thanks bass2rez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by u102768 View Post
    Their grip is phenomenal and makes it a lot safer to use the extra horsepower my car has. The Sport Maxx's would break traction at the slightest provocation even when the car was running the factory tune and also had a habit of slipping sideways quite sharply if I pulled out of a junction in the wet.

I basically had no confidence about putting my foot down especially in the wet.
    As an update I too had the MP4S fitted last Friday. The differance is night & day. Having only had the Pzeros on the XKr I really didn't appreciate just how poor these are compared to the Michelins. Like others I can now use full throttle in the belief the car won't fly off into the hedgerows .
    2014 XKR in Italian racing red with speed & black packs, 20" Vortex wheels & charcoal interior

18. Likes bass2rez, u102768, MarkyM liked this post