Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park Brake Behavior ?

Post Thanks / Like

Park Brake Behavior ?

My own S type is the only one I have driven. My park brake holds no problem BUT it will not apply if you are on the move say above 5 mph Pulling the park brake on the move does not illuminate the red p brake. Is this normal ? My drive has a slight slope & if I leave it run back in neutral Park brake works fine.
    I ask as I saw a couple of vids on youtube where they were trying to do hand brake turns using electric park brake cars at high speed & all the late model cars (not jags) tested did attempet to apply the brakes but not always locking the wheels.

So is the Park Brake inhibted from being applied above a certain speed?
    Jaguar S type 3ltr se 2004 82,000 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    "All vehicles: Inadvertent operation of the parkbrake whilst the vehicle is in motion will cause the message ‘PARKBRAKE ON’ to be displayed on the message centre, the warning light in the instrument cluster will be illuminated and a warning chime will sound.

If the parkbrake is applied whilst the vehicle is moving, releasing the switch will disengage the parkbrake. The parkbrake cannot be applied whilst the vehicle is moving and the throttle pressed.

Note: If the vehicle is in motion, the parkbrake should only be used as an emergency brake.

The parkbrake is automatically applied when the key is removed from the ignition switch. If you wish to keep the parkbrake off, press and hold the parkbrake switch down and, at the same time, remove the key"

Maybe that is where you are going wrong? It should apply while moving though.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok seems I have a fault then The rolling road at mot time does not turn fast enough to stop it applying. Will leave it untill the weather is better Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    have to repeatedly pull the switch to apply when moving.
    Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
    2002 S Type R with LPG
    Master vehicle technician. IMI Professional Advanced Tuner.
    Please check out my Facebook page: Snows Garage Ltd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by martin.rowe View Post
    have to repeatedly pull the switch to apply when moving.
    Yep.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Have tried that it does not work

Post Thanks / Like
    what about holding the switch up?

Certainly landrovers are intersting pulling the park brake. It does a very quick emergency stop! Even uses the front brakes too I believe
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know the park brake will not apply when the car is moving unless it is in neutral and with no pressure on the throttle.
    You then have to hold the switch up to keep it on and there is a delay when it is applied.
    If still moving after the park brake is on if the car is put into drive, reverse, the throttle is pressed or the switch allowed to go down to its normal position the park brake will release.
    I have never tried this and I can see no reason for trying it.
    It should be noted that this is just a parking brake, it is intended to hold the car in place when it is stationary. It is not intended to stop the car when it is already moving, that is what the foot brake is for!

There was a time when the hand brakes on cars was classed as the 'secondary brake' but these days all the car braking systems have at least two hydraulic circuits that satisfy this requirement. The hand brake is now just a parking brake. The parking brake only needs a 16% efficiency when both sides are added together, but both sides must work to some extent. A locked wheel is 100% efficient, the 16 % depends on the weight of the car.

Mellow
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

9. Likes Lost it liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To get the park (emergency) brake to apply when you are moving do the following.
    Take foot off accelerator
    pull up switch,
    the longer you hold it up (or multiple applications) the more the brake applies.
    let go of the switch and what ever brake application is applied will remain.
    to release the brake either press the accelerator or push the switch down.

Doing this will illuminate the Park Brake light along with warning beeps, beeps stop when car comes to full stop.
    Last edited by V8Steve; 06-12-18 at 13:50.
    2002.5 4.2 SE 14th year of S Type ownership. Full Jaguar Paint, Navigation, Music Player, Steering Wheel & Seats that move by themselves,Wheels, Screen, Colour changing Mirrors, OEM Bright Lights, Opening & Closing Doors & Windows. Bluetooth Phone & Voice. Beeps at the back. Now on second with additional useless TV , warm seats & windscreen, first one died at 190,000.

11. Thanks Andy K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok not tried to apply the park brake on the move AFTER shifting to neutral.Will try when next out in the car.

I assume my park brake switch works ok. Is it normal for the switch to be weighted to the down or off position? Ie it has to be held in the up position it does not click like a wall light switch If I apply it at traffic lights & I can see the park brake illuminated in red When I move off in drive I can here the park brake release.
    As I say I never gave it any thought that it is supposed to work as would a cable handbrake at any speed within reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast