Thread: Too cool for cool?

Post Thanks / Like

Too cool for cool?

Was testing my Climate Control the other day up and down the temp range as i do from time to time since the problems i've had in the past.
    Outside temp was showing 8 C so i wound the CC down to low but got nothing more than a comfortable temperature ...no ice cold.

Is there an outside cut off temperature below which the CC won't cool does anybody know? i seem to remember reading this somewhere on a post but could be wrong.
    If not its another chapter in the ongoing CC problems I've had for over 2 years.
    Jaguar XFR 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't the lowest setting around 16? if you had it on auto at 8 outside it would warm the car up to 16 instead of adding more cooling.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    There will be a low temp cut out for the air con to prevent the evaporator from freezing solid and blocking with ice.

Post Thanks / Like
    AC should switch off when outside temp gets to 3 or 4 deg C
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    AC should switch off when outside temp gets to 3 or 4 deg C
    Hmmm...outside temp showing 14C today.

Switched up and down the range, heat works fine.

Compressor works fine can switch on and off from computer and hear rev change.

Setting the temp down to 16 or Lo...fan speeds up but no icy cool ...just a normal temp roughly the same as outside i assume.

CC would appear to work though, i set it to about 21 on auto and I'm getting nice clear windows and no misting up.

but this seems wrong i would expect to be able to switch the CC down to icy cold at 14C outside ...I haven't checked pressures since summer when it was working fine but i can assume it's back to a leak somewhere that appears impossible to detect despite being looked at by 3 different garages and approximately 10 refill/dye - diagnostic sessions.
    Jaguar XFR 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    You could warm up the interior of the car with a fan heater and then test.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it demists quick the air con is probably working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah it appears to be working just not chilling
    Jaguar XFR 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VNC View Post
    Yeah it appears to be working just not chilling
    My air con still gets cold if I turn it down so suspect yours may be a bit low on gas or other fault . When gas gets too low it will not switch on and clutch will not engage on compressor
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil F View Post
    My air con still gets cold if I turn it down so suspect yours may be a bit low on gas or other fault . When gas gets too low it will not switch on and clutch will not engage on compressor
    It could be low on gas although I've had the same problem some time back and pressures were fine. I suspected it was the DPSV (a common problem) so had that replaced.
    Note the compressor works and switches in and off via the control panel, There is no clutch in the compressor It's of the constant displacement type.
    Jaguar XFR 2011