Thread: Seven Of The Strangest New Engines In The Industry

Post Thanks / Like

Seven Of The Strangest New Engines In The Industry

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/vide...n-the-industry

The Achates diesel engine is essentially a Boxer engine turned inside-out. The two-stroke, two-piston-per-cylinder design is unique with intake and exhaust ports on opposite ends of the cylinders, “controlled” by different pistons

XF SV8 A - USB 2 - Bowers & Wilkins 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - Computer Active Technology Suspension - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with Dynamic Route Guidance and Traffic Information System - Adaptive Cruise Control - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    Santer,
    I'm not sure but I believe that this type of engine has been around for a while as fitted to the Chieftan tank.
    It was a horizontally opposed two stroke multi fuel engine.
    2007 Slate Grey 4.2 XK-R Convertible
    Jagwrangler one touch roof and rear windows mod. Rear spoiler antenna and boot lid amplifier upgrade. Fuse 19 switch installed discretely below dash/steering wheel. Red stuff brake pads. Replacement white "R" caliper decals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Only ever had a water tank
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - Bowers & Wilkins 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - Computer Active Technology Suspension - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with Dynamic Route Guidance and Traffic Information System - Adaptive Cruise Control - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    I was reading about the new Mazda Skyactiv X engine the other day. Petrol engine that runs compression ignition (without a spark or with just a control spark) under certain conditions. Will debut in the 2019 Mazda3, I believe.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Achates diesel looks like an update on the Commer TS3 'knocker'. I can remember them in the 1960's and thought they sounded great.

Rhyl46 - think you're right about the Chieftain tank. I think that engine was also a two stroke opposed piston design - although it was a six cylinder layout. It also sounded pretty good too from what I can remember,
    2014 XF 3.0D Portfolio / 2006 Kia Picanto 1.1LX

Post Thanks / Like
    They should bring back and modernise the Deltic engine Imagine having a T9 instead of a V8 under the bonnet.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Santer,

Commer had this configuration engine in the 1960s, supercharged two stroke, they sounded wonderful. Also the Deltic railway engines ah the same opposed piston but in a triangle formation viewed end on, i.e. three crankshafts.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.