Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Pilot Sports 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Michelin Pilot Sports 4S

Looking for these and there are two types XL and XL MFS (MaxFlange Shield). The MFS is better wet rated and fuel rated but is around £11 less??

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...0/?m[4]=on
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - B&W 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - CAT Suspension - TPMS - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with DRG and TIS - ACC - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the more expensive one is the BMW spec one; the other the standard one.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks

Odd that the standard one has better performance rating
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - B&W 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - CAT Suspension - TPMS - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with DRG and TIS - ACC - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by santer View Post
    Thanks

And we're often told there's no difference between OEM and Standard model tyres. It's all just a quagmire.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be often the case that to get a particular characteristic, other compromises are made. The generic version that tries to get the best balance they can across the board is often the best choice. One of the bigger car mags out here tested a few of the specific versions of a test-winning tyre against the standard one on the cars they were supposed to match and found that the tuned tyre was worse than the standard one. For most of us, under normal circumstances, there is probably so little difference, it makes no difference.

Actually, when you compare tests, there is so little difference between the top tyres, it is hard to buy a bad one. Comparing and old, worn, hardened tyre with a new one is certainly going to favour the new one except maybe when it is bone dry and warm. All tyres will have a slightly different set of characteristics. We probably focus on the one we think is weak on our current tyres and strangely find that the new one is so much better, whether that be traction or steering response, etc.

Most of us don't have the test track, measuring equipment or the consistency in at-the-limit driving ability to really say if one tyre is really all-round better than another, nor do we even have two sets of new tyres to compare. So relying on measured test results that suggest a tyre is consistently a good performer are our only comparatively reliable sources of information. The Michelin seems to be such a tyre, but it has been beaten by other tyres, also suggesting that the difference overall is rather small.
    Last edited by Neilr; 07-12-18 at 10:09.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.

6. Likes jberks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Black circles say 285/35/20

Tyre leader says 285/30/20

Tyre leader is better price and they do have both sizes, front are 255/35/20

Which ones to get please?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is true. In reality when you look at reviews, the difference between the mid range brands and top brands like Michelin are actually relatively small and for your average driver, inperceptible. Often the cheaper brands are actually better in some areas though of course not overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Black circles say 285/35/20
    These cars with the staggered 20" wheels have: Front - 255/35/20 Rear - 285/30/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Rang black circles and they confirmed rears are 285/35/20 for the registration so ordered those

Will the extra 5mm be an issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rang black circles and they confirmed rears are 285/35/20 for the registration so ordered those

Will the extra 5mm be an issue?
    Yes in a word - not much but the tyre sidewall will be taller than spec. May look a little odd and will have a tiny effect on the speedo. Either way, better to keep to spec.
    I was chasing tyres a couple of weeks ago and actually found Costco dramatically cheaper than anyone else for Goodyear. The also stock Michelin if you have a card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast