Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercharger coolant pump

Post Thanks / Like

Supercharger coolant pump

HI, getting ready to replace valley pipes this weekend, and while I'm replacing coolant, I also plan to replace water pump and thermostat, based on input on this forum. Preventive maintenance.

Reading the service manual I've now learned there's a separate coolant pump for the supercharger. Is that also known to cause problems on >100k km cars? Haven't read about it here yet I think.
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

2. Likes OCD-Jagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No the small electric pump is quite reliable. There was a possibility of an upgraded one on X100 cars for possible improved cooling. Not sure about the one on the 5.0
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, mine failed on my old 2008 4.2, I had about 90k miles showing at the time though. It's a pig to get to, the workshop manual doesn't tell you to take the front bumper off to change it but it'll be far easier if you do. There are some coolant pipes above it, going in and out of one of the radiators, you'll almost certainly have to undo those to get access to the securing bolt on top of the pump. The coolant hoses into and out of the pump are easiest accessed from underneath.

The electrical cable for the pump is a real pain; it runs in behind the radiators to a connector in front of the engine, assuming your car is LHD then it's just to the passenger side of the center line. Best way to find it is get the pump disconnected and unbolted so it's free apart from that connector, get under the car, see where the cable runs into, get a hand up to the other side of where the cable disappears and wiggle the cable on the pump until you find the connector. Installation is, as they say, the reverse of removal...

It took me several hours to change it but I'm by no means a skilled mechanic and I fought with it for some time before giving in and removing the bumper. I didn't find a lot of other people who'd had the same issue so I don't think it's a serious, known fault, but if you have to drop the coolant for something else anyway then it may be worth doing as preventative maintenance.
    Current: 2009 XKR 5.0
    Previous: 2008 XKR 4.2

I take photos of cars! Find me on Facebook, Instagram and Flickr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P700DEE View Post
    No the small electric pump is quite reliable. There was a possibility of an upgraded one on X100 cars for possible improved cooling. Not sure about the one on the 5.0
    The OP has a 4.2 but from what I can tell it's the same part on the 4.2 and 5.0 cars. It's not cheap though; retail price in GBP is £385.42. I tried one of the Bosch ones that people used to use as an upgrade on the X100 but it won't fit without some work - it's bigger so the standard rubber bracket won't hold it and the Bosch pump doesn't have the flylead with the connector, so you'd need to make up some sort of wiring adaptor to power it.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Yeah, mine failed on my old 2008 4.2", how did you know it failed? Could you still drive?
    2007 Jaguar XKR Convertible
    1978 DeTomaso Longchamp
    2009 Cadillac CTS-V 650HP
    Author of Tuning Made Easy:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-M...l-Hass/dp/8771144625

Post Thanks / Like
    First I knew about it was when I got a "restricted performance" warning on the dash. I checked for codes, saw one for a coolant pump issue but the coolant temp looked fine (checked with Torque Pro app and a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter). Noticed later that the intake air temperature was very high, like 85C. There's a fuse for the pump in the fuse box in the engine bay, it had blown so I changed it and went for a short drive, got the same warning and noticed the fuse was gone again and the fault code was back. I did some searching on here and other forums and found a couple of threads which all ended with the pump having to be replaced.

I managed to get a pump from a breaker from a 40k mile car, part number is C2C1314.

8. Thanks No Quarter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, to answer the question, "Could you still drive?" - yes but once the intake air temperature reached a certain value the car went into Restricted Performance mode. I believe that when that happens, the bypass valve for the supercharger opens and the engine RPM is limited to about 5000 or so, to prevent the intake air temps getting any hotter. I'd limit how much driving you do in those circumstances but yes, the car will let you know when there's a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    I tried one of the Bosch ones that people used to use as an upgrade on the X100 but it won't fit without some work - it's bigger so the standard rubber bracket won't hold it and the Bosch pump doesn't have the flylead with the connector, so you'd need to make up some sort of wiring adaptor to power it.
    I ordered one of those last night for my '10 XKR along with the appropriate connectors. I will hopefully get it fitted mid January and will be interested to see if it helps the inlet temperature. Mine seems to stabilize at around 50 deg but goes up to 70 or more when idling which is a killer for the drag strip. I am also going to try cooler spark plugs.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~600bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=121.89)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd have thought you'd want a higher fan speed to improve idle temps, the coolant will only cool down so quickly when there's no air moving over the radiator surely? Where did you get the connectors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    I'd have thought you'd want a higher fan speed to improve idle temps, the coolant will only cool down so quickly when there's no air moving over the radiator surely? Where did you get the connectors?
    I shall let you know if it makes any difference

This was my shopping list:

1x Pump: 0 392 022 010
    2x Cable: 000-540-24-05
    1x Coupling: 230-540-00-81

I have ordered the cables and coupling from a place in the US for $16 as I get stuff shipped from there quite regularly but I would assume that any Mercedes dealer could supply them.
    Current Jag: 2010 5.0 XKR (XKR-S X-Pipe, smaller S/C pulley and Tune ~600bhp - 11.925@120.59, max v=121.89)

Previous Jags: 2007 4.2 XKR | 2004 4.2 XJ8 | 1998 4.0 XJR | 1996 6.0 XJ12 | 1989 5.3 XJ-S | 1983 5.3 XJ-S | 1980 5.3 XJ-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast