Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mot

Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of whether the garage created the fault, I would be inclined to report them because they tried to prevent the car from being driven away for repair. The failure due to non working washers is considered a 'Major' failure - not 'Dangerous' and as such the vehicle can be driven away for repair.

Washers must provide enough fluid for the wipers to clear the windscreen effectively.

Defect Category
    • Windscreen washers not working or not providing sufficient fluid to clear the windscreen
    Major
    MOT fails

Dangerous – Your vehicle fails if it has a dangerous fault. The vehicle cannot be driven until the fault has been repaired.
    Major – Your vehicle fails if it has a major fault. The repair needs to be made as soon as possible.
    (EX) '06 2.0D SE Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    an mot station can only advise you they cannot stop you from driving a car away
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Post Thanks / Like
    My XJ rightly failed its MOT recently on a shredded trackrod end gaiter, which was potentially dangerous. They never even suggested attempting to fix it themselves or retain the car, and simply gave me a fortnight to get it fixed and present it for a free re-test, which is what I did.
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"Life's too short for touchscreens - give me lots of nice buttons to press"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsb View Post
    an mot station can only advise you they cannot stop you from driving a car away
    Technically you're right, but! The new 2018 regs on the Gov.uk site state:

You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a ‘dangerous’ problem.

Full details here: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12