Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mot

Post Thanks / Like

Mot

So the wife took her Jag for its test yesterday, after a thourough checking over by myself, everything working fine. It failed, windscreen washers inoperative. I found it strange because they were checked the morning of the test.

However after working in the industry long enough I know parts can fail at any point, even though the pump was fitted in July this year.

Man at the garage informed the wife it was a pump failure and only a Jaguar part was available and the work was going to cost the price of the MOT £45, two hours labour £90 and the price of the pump at £92 so a pricely sum of £207, not bad some may say for an 11 year old car to get through it's mot. I'd agree, The pump price I was quoted from KG Motaquip was £23 all in.

I told her to bring it home and I would fix it, to which the MOT centre went on to tell her that as it had failed on a dangerous fault she couldn't remove it from the garage.

At this point I phoned them, I collected the car and brought it home. I removed the inner shield to check for voltage at the pump (basic test which the garage had apparently done to establish pump failure) only to find the multi plug disconnected from the pump, but placed back on top if that makes sense? I plugged the pump back in and guess what! it worked as it should.

Now whilst I can't say that the garage did this on purpose its very convenient that the plug that has been attached since July should come loose on the time of the MOT test?

I took it back for the re-test today and mentioned that the problem was that the pump was actually unplugged and not a fault, to which the garage said "oh we never looked that far just assumed it was the pump" Even though they had told Sarah they had tested all the wiring to the pump to check it out for free for her as a goodwill gesture. Gee thanks guys

Practice like this lowers confidence in garages and makes people wary of their practice. They certainly won't be used again for MOT time, it's a shame because its next to the wifes workplace so made things convenient. Thankfully we now have 12 months of shiny MOT with no advisories.
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

2011 Mini Clubman Cooper D Hampton.

20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

2. Likes Trooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you consider reporting it. How can a working pump decide to push its plug out and place it on top, did it know it was being tested

You can take your own action against an MOT test centre through Trading Standards, personal legal proceedings or reporting the centre to the police.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/pr...ur-test-result
    XF SV8 A - USB 2 - Bowers & Wilkins 440W - Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera - Computer Active Technology Suspension - Tyre Pressure Monitoring System - 20" Volans - Headlamp Powerwash - Rain Sensitive Wipers - Xenon Headlights - Heated Windscreen - Intrusion Sensing - Navigation with Dynamic Route Guidance and Traffic Information System - Adaptive Cruise Control - Forward Alert - Memory Function - Blind Spot Monitor - Bluetooth Connectivity - Automatic Headlamp Leveling - JaguarVoice

4. Likes Sean O' liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    + one on what Santer said.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've let VOSA know about it.

7. Likes Ashanti, santer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice one Sean,

Can't have that sort of thing going on in God's County.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we will all agree that it sounds suspicious. Just as well you had the ability to fix it.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be hard to prove dishonesty, but maybe if VOSA get several similar 'issues' with the same testing station they might take an interest.

This is one of the reasons I've tended to use a testing station which doesn't do repairs - obviously there's no vested interest in failing cars for bogus defects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 280E View Post
    It would be hard to prove dishonesty, but maybe if VOSA get several similar 'issues' with the same testing station they might take an interest.

This is one of the reasons I've tended to use a testing station which doesn't do repairs - obviously there's no vested interest in failing cars for bogus defects.
    That's the big problem I have reported it, but it is realistically impossible to prove.

Post Thanks / Like
    ( went on to tell her that as it had failed on a dangerous fault she couldn't remove it from the garage. )
    yea thats so bad it may blow up while driving ,
    i am lucky in 30 years i have x2 trusted mot stations i use they evan go over the top for me and point out anything that will need looking at over the next year not just for an mot
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

Post Thanks / Like
    As everyone has said i would report it, if it a trend VOSA will take notice. I had an issue with Land Rover, in my county, clearly they were trying to rip me off. What i did was wrote a long honest review on Trust pilot, Google reviews and there own website and facebook page, and linked the site to several forums i was in. Reputation is everything, and its easy to for people to check there reviews. Why not check the reviews of the garage your wife took her car too, might be interesting.
    Jaguar XJ Portfolio 2017 & Triumph Bonneville T120
    Utinque Paratus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast