Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet and taxed the S type 4.0

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. Which clown at Jaguar thought it would be a good idea to design wipers that you have to pull off the spindles to change the blades? Luckily I have a puller..

And I now have working air con. Re gassed it, nothing. Then spotted that the power feed to the compressor wasn't connected.. I guess the guy who replaced the motor didn't bother to connect it? Anyway, put the meter on it, not shorted, power there when engine was running and a/c was calling, so plugged it back together and the compressor started to spin. Proper result, I was thinking another compressor...

Now all I need to get to the bottom of is why the cruise doesn't work. According to SDD it should...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    Faulty rear ABS sensor would stop the cruise from working bud.

Any codes?

My dumb ELM327 with Torque gave me a C1165, right rear ABS sensor. And it was right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh..

Wouldn't mind an early 4.0 to tinker with!

Whats the gearbox like?

Wouldn't mind having one just to have the simpler G'box
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - internally incontinent
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to SDD the sensors are fine. But when I was under it on Saturday it looked like it had a new sensor ring on the offside rear. I wondered after if it has the same number of "dents" as the near side one?

Hmm..

The seats are a bit unsupportive after the X type, but I think another feed of the leather will sort that out.
    It actually did an indicated 26.8mpg on it's first real run out.

Henry, I changed the gearbox oil. The stuff that came out was slightly gravy coloured. Put Dexron 3 in and it's still learning, but smooth enough. Kick down is still sluggish to engage, but it's still learning how I drive so that's ok.

The engine oil I took out was proper gloopy. I don't know if the previous owner had fed it with some kind of oil treatment but it was really thick, poured and then made a "syrup" tail when I stopped pouring it.

So I've fed it with 6.4l of Shell 5/30 and a decent filter, I'll do 1000 miles and then do another change. It used a bit during it's 170 mile steady run yesterday, still just under the top mark though.

The speedo is 4mph slow when it reads 70mph on the standard 225/55/16's. According to my Garmin.

I need to update the speakers, the radio if I can and the tyres... And the headlights are really crap... It may have some after market things in it, because the flip up is there but there's a huge hole just below the hot spot part.

I'm thinking look into LED's?
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

5. Thanks Henry_B thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    The seats are a bit unsupportive.
    Are they the standard SE seats?

It actually did an indicated 26.8mpg on it's first real run out.
    That is not bad. I get up to 34 mpg in my 2000 3.0 manual but usually under 30 mpg at German Autobahn speeds (75-90 mph).

Kick down is still sluggish to engage, but it's still learning how I drive so that's ok.
    That is how I remember them when I had loaners. They were so slow that by the time they changed down one gear they needed to change down again

The speedo is 4mph slow when it reads 70mph on the standard 225/55/16's. According to my Garmin.
    Exactly the same as mine.

I need to update the speakers
    If you just use 5x7s, it is an easy job. Use components up front with the tweeters higher up (I used the door mirror panel) and you get a better sound (clearer and better staging).

... the radio if I can ...
    It is possible but do the speakers first and see how it sounds. Mine has the Premium head unit and subwoofers. Just good speakers is fine.

... tyres...
    Yes, one needs them
    Mine quite likes Goodyear F1s and also needs replacements, mainly because they are getting on a bit. Not sure what I will take this time though as there are a lot of good tyres out there now.

And the headlights are really crap...
    The lenses go murky, so a clean and polish may be required. I use Night Breakers or X-tremesVision and align them as high as one is allowed so you get the 70-80m throw and they are fine.

Check if the alignment screws still work. They tend to go brittle and break and the headlight points too low. Some people have been known to bodge them with a long wood screw Replacements parts are available in the lagoon and the repair is only normal fiddly.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The seats are a bit unsupportive after the X type, but I think another feed of the leather will sort that out.
    I always found the seats in the early cars (X200) to be a bit unsupportive & much less comfortable than those in the X202's Those in our X type fall somewhere in between.

Henry, I changed the gearbox oil. The stuff that came out was slightly gravy coloured. Put Dexron 3 in and it's still learning, but smooth enough. Kick down is still sluggish to engage, but it's still learning how I drive so that's ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    That is how I remember them when I had loaners. They were so slow that by the time they changed down one gear they needed to change down again
    I always found the kick down to be very good on our old 3.0l, hit the loud pedal & it would drop down instantly to the appropriate gear & tear off like a scolded cat, neither of our ZF equipped cars are as good, they never seem quite sure what gear to drop down to, sometimes they'll drop one too many & the rev limiter kicks in & you end up not really getting anywhere, & other times they don't drop enough & they will bog down.
    Did you change the filter? If not it might be worth a try, they're not expensive for the Ford box, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-S-...gAAOSwxupa6vQZ, I'm sure it's the same filter for the 4.0l's.
    The Ford box doesn't have a TCM like the ZF, it's part of the ECM, it electronically controls the shift by using adaptive learning strategy to provide a more consistent shift feel over long term use. I don't think it has any great influence on kick down.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Exactly the same as mine.
    All of my S types seem to have flattering speedometers, they all seem to indicate about 70mph at a true 65/6mph on the sat nav

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

Post Thanks / Like
    The sports seats with lumbar support in the X200 seem fine. Even after a day at the wheel, I don't get out feeling like I have driven all day. But thankfully I don't do such long journeys very often.

Quote Originally Posted by orsom weels View Post
    All of my S types seem to have flattering speedometers, they all seem to indicate about 70mph at a true 65/6mph on the sat nav
    Isn't this the case for almost all speedos - they are designed to overread so that you cannot unknowingly be over the speed limit.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    The slightly dished seat backs in my 2004 left me slightly cramped but not too bad.

I don't know if it will help your kickdown or if it will do anything at all on your model but try the Throttle Pedal limits reset Lost One.

It will be good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. Which clown at Jaguar thought it would be a good idea to design wipers that you have to pull off the spindles to change the blades? Luckily I have a puller..
    It isn't actually necessary to remove the wipers to change the blades. Granted, it's a bit fiddly - particularly the first time - due to lack of any significant lift of arm, but it can be done. Changed mine a few times and it gets easier each time!
    Late 2004 2.7D. Owned from new. 250,000 miles on the clock!

Post Thanks / Like
    The seats in the S type give me bad back ache..

And my headlights are crap..

Sitting a candle on the dash is a safer/better bet..
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - internally incontinent
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast