Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet and taxed the S type 4.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Double post..
    Last edited by Henry_B; 11-12-18 at 18:00. Reason: Idiot.
    Radiance Red Jaguar S-Type 3.0 SE 2005MY - Remapped to 258hp & 325nm
    "High Luxury pack" Barley Leather (SEL) with Brown Piping (FX) - Full Burr Walnut INC wheel
    17" Antari' wheels.

Monte Carlo Blue ​Range Rover P38 2001 MY 4.6 Vogue. - 18" Comets

Post Thanks / Like
    The dipped beam bulbs have always been dim on the S Types.

+130% upgrade bulbs are a quick and easy fix for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have to say I'm less than impressed with the people of Peterborough.

Went into the Asda in the centre ish tonight. I pulled up, stuck my blue badges in the window, in a disabled bay.. I know, wouldn't have them unless I was entitled. Noticed I had a flat tyre as I walked away, visibly going down, so bought a can of tyre foam.

Went back out, decided the can of foam probably wouldn't do the job when I saw the screw sticking out of the tyre... And started to get the spare, the jack, the wheel brace out of the boot, it's not easy as my core strength isn't brilliant, but there you go.

Took me over half an hour because I was kind of not really trusting the car jack on a 19 year old car's sill jacking point, but it went up ok.

Not one person offered to help. I know not all disabilities are obvious, but I'm parked in the front entrance dizzy bay FFS.

Not impressed at all. Didn't need the help else I would have called out GEM, but an offer would have been nice?

So tomorrow I need to find somewhere that sells 225/55/16 Y rated tyres. The screw is too close to the edge to repair safely, besides which the tyre is rated ZR. Not that I plan trying to see if it will still do 155mph. I was thinking I'd look for some 4 season rubber anyway...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer View Post
    It isn't actually necessary to remove the wipers to change the blades. Granted, it's a bit fiddly - particularly the first time - due to lack of any significant lift of arm, but it can be done. Changed mine a few times and it gets easier each time!
    I tried but it would have meant bending the blade further than I wanted to.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Post Thanks / Like
    Bud haven't you realised from the attacks we've posted that our countrymen are not going to get involved even if some scumbag is beating you up?

Or killing you even!

It's a sad bunch, not worth saving from my CO2 nor my NOx nor any other form of pollution in my view.

In fact I sometimes think I want to poison more of them!

Despite 04str! Or maybe because of him!!

I just need to find a selective method that only attacks the bad and indifferent sods!

Gone are the days I got a thick ear from passers-by for fighting in the streets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    Have to say I'm less than impressed with the people of Peterborough.

Went into the Asda in the centre ish tonight. I pulled up, stuck my blue badges in the window, in a disabled bay.. I know, wouldn't have them unless I was entitled. Noticed I had a flat tyre as I walked away, visibly going down, so bought a can of tyre foam.

Went back out, decided the can of foam probably wouldn't do the job when I saw the screw sticking out of the tyre... And started to get the spare, the jack, the wheel brace out of the boot, it's not easy as my core strength isn't brilliant, but there you go.

Took me over half an hour because I was kind of not really trusting the car jack on a 19 year old car's sill jacking point, but it went up ok.

Not one person offered to help. I know not all disabilities are obvious, but I'm parked in the front entrance dizzy bay FFS.

Not impressed at all. Didn't need the help else I would have called out GEM, but an offer would have been nice?
    Reminds me of when I came out of K/L QE2 hospital after an opp on my back. Mrs O came to pick me up & parked in the 20 min pick up/drop off bays by the front main entrance. When we came out, me still a bit groggy, in a wheel chair & armed with a pair of crutches, I noticed we had a flat N/S/F tyre. Mrs O got the jack & spare out, & with a little guidance from me started to change the wheel. No sooner had she got the jack under the car, a parking warden in uniform came along & stated quite gruffly that we were only allowed to park there for pick up/drop off, & were only allowed to stay 20 min's max which we'd already had. He would give us 5 min's to get the wheel changed & move on or he'd issue a fine! I asked if he could help Mrs O, but he said no as he may get in trouble. There were plenty of spare spaces, so I didn't understand the urgency getting us moved, & there was a more or less constant stream of people walking past & having a look, but not one offered any help. In the end, I had to drag myself out of the wheel chair & help loosen the wheel nuts so Mrs O could change the wheel & we could be on our way. The parking warden stood there, along with a small crowd, just watching. Just as we were finishing though, a kind ambulance man did come over to see if there was anything he could do after dropping off a patient. He was shocked that all those people had stood there & watched while someone in a wheel chair & holding a pair of crutches had had to assist in a wheel change.
    I don't know if people are just afraid to ask if you need help, whether they are worried that if they do help & bugger something up you'll hold them responsible, or they're just bl**dy selfish.

Regards, OW
    1999 S Type 3.0L SE, A truly lovely old girl that's served me well. Probably the best car I've had. Now retired.
    02.5MY (X202) S Type 2.5L SE, 58,000 miles, full Jag s/h, all papers, MOT's, receipts etc from new when purchased.
    2006 X type SE 2.2 Diesel. Supposed to be Mrs O's economical commuter car.
    2004 (X202) 2.5L Sport plus, to replace the 3.0L

7. Likes Lost it liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by orsom weels View Post
    I don't know if people are just afraid to ask if you need help, whether they are worried that if they do help & bugger something up you'll hold them responsible, or they're just bl**dy selfish.

Regards, OW
    Probably a mixture of all. I stopped to help an old guy the other day who was driving a 1999 XKR until he had a blowout on the rear. Fortunately he was OK and dribbled off the A1(M) to a lay-by where I found him. During the operation of changing the wheel for him I did hope the jack didn't go through the sill in case he held me responsible later. Fortunately all was well and he went on his way, albeit very slowly on a rather under inflated skinny spare!
    We live in a very litigious era. Glad I'm no longer running a business.
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

9. Likes stanboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    The speedo is 4mph slow when it reads 70mph on the standard 225/55/16's. According to my Garmin.
    I expected it to be fast i.e. to over-read!

If it's really underreading that would suggest either the tyres are the wrong size or the ABS is picking the speed up wrongly. The latter issue, probably.

Post Thanks / Like
    When the car speedo reads 70 mph the Garmin says 66 mph, it's kind of within the 10%. Tyres are 225/55/16 as standard fit. I think my XJ is bang on, but none of my other ones are unless you tweak the aspect ratio one size up. It's amazing that we are so used to seeing stupidly wide tyres on small cars these days that 225 section tyres look positively skinny...

But you have got me thinking about the ABS now.

The car had a replacement drive shaft fitted on the n/s rear, or there's a receipt for one during it's previous ownership. I already know the cruise doesn't work although there are no fault codes, the traction control does work, I've not tried the ABS because, well if TRC works then ABS should too? I don't really want to test the ESP until I get a bit more used to the car.

But I'm wondering if a later drive shaft was put on, and if there's a difference between the number or slots on the relucter ring, or even a different size, and this is confusing something along the line..

I need to get under there with a marker pen and some calipers and have a count. Might be something that simple.

The other thing... There's a very small amount of "blancmange" under the engine filler cap, where I am the car is only driving about 6 miles during the very cold part of the day, the gauge is getting up to normal by about the time I get to where I'm staying, so do I need to worry? It is a bit extreme, not quite freezing, but very bitter wind.

Bear in kind the oil I took out was like treacle, and the oil I put in is Shell fully synth 5/30, and I plan changing it again when I've done a thousand miles just to give the motor a flush... Which will be the Xmas weekend, my missus will love me when I wander out on Xmas day to change the oil on the car... The oil filler cap makes it very difficult to top up the oil without spilling some, I'll have to figure that out... It's moved off from the top mark of the dipstick which is another reason to do a fairly rapid flush through.

And I've read on another forum about the engine having a tendency to carbon up? Well it's had a can of Oxy and a tank full of Shell Nitro so that should be sorted. It's definitely starting much better now. Lovely noise when it fires....

I've just put a pair of Kuhmo Solus HA31's on the rear after the flat tyre, I figured it's time to get rid of the ageing Pirelli P6000's. The tyre guy could only find one pair, I'll change the fronts as soon as he lets me know he has them in stock. A very reasonable £180 fitted, but only V rated.. I'm not expecting them to be as useful as the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons I'm running on my X type, and they are, well, kinda chinese ish tyres, but being Korean I thought I'd take a chance.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Solus-HA31.htm

First impressions are that they are a bit noisy, but they only have 12 miles on them up to now.

The more I drive the car, the more I keep wondering if I should start looking for either a 4.2 or an R... Only live once after all. But it's slowly winning me over.

Heated front screen doesn't work too well either, I'll have to pull the A pillar trims off and put the meter on the connectors. Fuses are all good. There are "threads" all the way through but it only seems to demist where the wipers are?
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Post Thanks / Like
    Condensation this time of year can cause the milky sludge on the oil filler cap too Lost One, so if the metal bits you can see through the hole don't have it then I wouldn't worry initially.

A funnel helps fills (and Phils?) without spills!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast