Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit the bullet and taxed the S type 4.0

Post Thanks / Like

Bit the bullet and taxed the S type 4.0

And just to make it more fun, I changed the aircon condensor rad too.

Recleaned the seats.

Changed the pollen filter.

And filled the tank up....

I've decided I'm going to leave the chinese tyres on for now, as I'm skint, and see how bad they are...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose if they're ditch finders, stay away from ditches...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine had almost new Chinese tyres on it when I bought the car 18 months ago and my thought was, they would be the first thing I would change. However I was quite impressed with their performance in the wet, and they were amazing in snow, so they have stayed in place! Obviously I have had nothing to compare them with, but I'm a fast driver and they have never given me any concern so far.
    Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 SE 2003 MY

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys,
    I mhave found the best place for tyres is www.blackcircles.com and they come to you at home or work. Lots of choice of tyres some cheap some expensive. I chose Kuhmo for 235/55 x 18 on my X350 XJ V8. 112 each in July 2017 and now just 105 each.

Supertrev.
    Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    It has some things called Farroad FR26 on it at the moment, but they are slightly out at 235/45/17, should be a 235/50/17 according to the plate on the car.

I gave them a bit of a test in yesterday's really heavy rain, and only managed to get them to slide once by turning off the ESP... But slip they did, and I was surprised how hard I had to push to make them let go, far harder than I would normally drive in heavy rain. Even the pointless crash stop in heavy rain the car pulled up reasonably well, not as good as my X type with it's Goodyears on, but not bad... Which could be down to the brakes not being used much? Stopped straight, ABS worked. And the screen immediately misted over... There must be some standing water in the bulkhead area... So I'll check the drains as well this morning.

Apparently Farroad have some input from Michelin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162672614977

I'd really like to put on some 4 season tyres, but money is an issue at the moment. And these tyres are definitely summer ones, broad grooves, not much tread, doubt they would be any good at all even in light snow.

I could fit the Goodyear Vector's off my X type.... I'd be going down to 225/50, still not quite the right size but the load rating would be bang on.

Only other "glitch" was that the oil light came on after a bit of enthusiastic acceleration, wheel spin type with ESP off... I know the oil level is not quite where it should be, it's slightly over filled, this light reset after I'd stopped the engine to check the oil level. And what I should have done was "sniff" tested the oil to see if it's petrol contaminated, I seem to recall ST04r mentioning bore wash once, when it wouldn't start but that turned out to be because the car was parked with the near side rear higher than the offside, and a low fuel level in the tank but I'll change it today anyway. I have the right filter now, the one with the bypass valve in it. It was subject to a lot of start, warm up, stop at the time to keep the battery lively. It doesn't like the battery voltage dropping below 12.3V...

I'm going to use it for a few weeks, see if I can either sort some decent 16's or save enough to put some more rugged 17's on.

The 16's I have that came with the car are fitted with Pirelli 6000 things, I don't like Pirelli, but I'd bet they are a better option than the Farroad things...
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Post Thanks / Like
    "And the screen immediately misted over... There must be some standing water in the bulkhead area... So I'll check the drains as well this morning."

Have a similar problem that after an extended run in the rain the windscreen mists over when I pull up. Can you explain where these drains are please, didn't notice any real plenium like chamber when I changed the pollen filter a couple of weeks ago? Certainly nothing like the VW Passat one that has 2 rubber bungs that fill with debris and cause the flooding of the interior of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some Farroads on a previous car of mine. They were pretty decent tyres!

You definitely notice the difference with Goodyears, Michelins, Pirellis et al, but Ive found the cheaper ones to do a brilliant job. Im more bothered about tyre condition than brand these days.

Ive got some Kumhos on my Daimler as other tyres are ridiculously expensive. They do a fantastic job! Got some steering wobble around 50mph though, rotating them would probably help that.

Post Thanks / Like
    The drains, all I found were the ones from the plastic scuttle below the wipers. Took it off completely and didn't find much except some leaf debris...

And I've put the original 16's back on with the Pirelli 6000's. 2 of them need replacing soon, a few cracks in the sidewalls. I really don't like chinese rubber, and couldn't settle with them fitted.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Post Thanks / Like
    And this morning... I should be getting the a/c recharged all being well. Then I can start the "drying out the car" process. Even this weather the drying part of the a/c will still do it's job if I set the climate control.

And I'm now looking at 4 season tyres for it. I just know it won't be as capable as the X type is should it snow, so I'll probably look at the full winter option as well, I have plenty of spare wheels...
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Post Thanks / Like
    Faffing this morning, I can get the ipod to work if I use the tape adapter device that plugs into the headphone socket... And I took the radio out yesterday as I was going to plug one of those radio wave adapter things in it.

Now over time I will replace the speakers, they are a bit naff, seem to be paper cones, but what options are there regarding radio? The unit doesn't appear to be double din sized. I mean it's adequate, but sticking a 6 disc changer in the glove box eats the space up in there and I'd prefer being able to have an option within the car. I don't want one of these modern flashy things that need you to study the menu intently to turn the blasted thing off... Lit up like an oil terminal... Just simple ability will do. Music from disc, memory card, ipod or MP3 disc will suit.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast