Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lack of power, Black Smoke, Poor MPG

Post Thanks / Like

Lack of power, Black Smoke, Poor MPG

HI, Newbie here,
    I have a 2.2 X Type Estate, (no DPF).
    bellows black smoke, poor performance and bad MPG,
    have tried all the usual suspects, cleaned EGR and fitted blanking plate wit 8mm hole, replaced majority of hoses for turbo, cleaned intake manifold.

At a loss of what to try next????

Post Thanks / Like
    Try carrying out a pressure test on the inter-cooler, remove both hoses block one side and let in air at low pressure in the other. If there is a leak you're be able to hear it.
    2007 x type 2.2d S 6 speed, 132 ,000 and climbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps turbo actuator is not operating well. That might not give it enough air to mix with the diesel.

Or the turbo vanes are stiff with dirt and not opening fully. A tin or two of turbo cleaner up the air intake can flush that out.
    2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, tried the intercooler, heard no leaks.
    Actuator is working as it should.
    Which intake should I be spraying the turbo cleaner into?

The car has done 152000 miles, it also has the vibration, (possibly drive shafts) but I have seen some threads that suggest vibration could be injector issues.
    Could all my problems be linked to the injectors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does seem typical of an intercooler pipe leak. They can be hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Step Dads 2.0 did that to me once, it was one of the bottom hoses that had come off, due to a corroded hose clip, the one located underneath.
    2009 (09) X-Type 2.2d SE Auto, Barbados Alloys Trim: Leather Ivory St Oyster Upr R/Wood 09 Paint: Tektite 2063 Grey. The longer I own it, the more I love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil1970 View Post
    T
    Which intake should I be spraying the turbo cleaner into?
    There is a pipe fixed with a metal clip from the back of the filter box. Squeeze the clip to expand it with some pipe grips and remove. The other end goes into the turbo. Spray straight into there.

The engine will make some horrible noises while you spray but don't worry, it's normal.
    2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, will give that a go tomorrow, and have another check on the hoses.

I used to have an X Type 2.0d Sport a few years ago, had no issues with that, was nice and torque through every gear even when cruising in 6th it would pull when i put my foot down, and used to easily get mid 50's to the gallon. This estate has a lot less torque and currently lucky to get mid 30's to the gallon, as well as the torture of the billowing black smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil1970 View Post
    Thanks, will give that a go tomorrow, and have another check on the hoses.

I used to have an X Type 2.0d Sport a few years ago, had no issues with that, was nice and torque through every gear even when cruising in 6th it would pull when i put my foot down, and used to easily get mid 50's to the gallon. This estate has a lot less torque and currently lucky to get mid 30's to the gallon, as well as the torture of the billowing black smoke
    I have the 2.2d and it has hunks of power. 6th gear from 40-70 mph in a flash. It does about 40 mpg. Don't listen to them telling you they get 60 mpg, I reckon they're quoting what the computer says at best.

It's easier with two people to find a hose leak, one to rev, the other to listen at the engine end. For safety reasons the listener should keep his hands in his pockets while the engine is running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag-Black View Post
    Don't listen to them telling you they get 60 mpg, I reckon they're quoting what the computer says at
    bang it in 6th doing 55 on the motorway you'll get 60+, best i've acheived is 68mpg on a 500 mile trip.

have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor as well, that can cause poor mpg and smoke.
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast