Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: My (Wandering Teacake's, that is) X351 Ownership Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    Taking bumper off isn't too bad on the X351, the longest part is undoing the 10,000 screws holding the front undertray to the bumper.
    Yeah, I took one look at that and decided to make somebody else do it.

The car goes back on Tuesday for another attempt at fixing the parking brake.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

2. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea if my parking brake works. To be honest I can never figure out whether I press it down or pull it up, so I just don't bother.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    I have no idea if my parking brake works. To be honest I can never figure out whether I press it down or pull it up, so I just don't bother.
    Just to be serious for a bit. You want to try to use it regularly. I used to be of the mentality that its an auto, and has Park, thus doesn't need a handbrake. However:

1) If ever you have had an automatic gearbox in pieces, you will see how tiny and puny that parking lock is.
    2) One day it will fail an MOT because its seized through lack of use, and it becomes an expensive fix.

Ever since a real problem getting a car through an MOT because just about every part of the handbrake had seized through lack of use, I *ALWAYS* ensure I use it every time I park. Without fail.

So in an XJ (and most others), pull up is on, push down is off (so just like a normal handbrake lever, assuming you don't own an Aston)
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

5. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes #steve, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to be serious for a bit. You want to try to use it regularly. I used to be of the mentality that its an auto, and has Park, thus doesn't need a handbrake. However:

1) If ever you have had an automatic gearbox in pieces, you will see how tiny and puny that parking lock is.
    2) One day it will fail an MOT because its seized through lack of use, and it becomes an expensive fix.
    OK. I promise to try harder, mom.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever since a real problem getting a car through an MOT because just about every part of the handbrake had seized through lack of use, I *ALWAYS* ensure I use it every time I park. Without fail.

So in an XJ (and most others), pull up is on, push down is off (so just like a normal handbrake lever, assuming you don't own an Aston)
    Couldn't agree more - use it or lose it applies to lots of areas on a car.

And agree that the parking lock pin on an auto box is indeed puny, and has been known to fail - that failure combined with no handbrake ain't a good combination!!

XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio, Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi, '67 Triumph TR4A

8. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree and tend to use mine more often than not when parking up for all the reasons listed above

The use it or lose it does apply to some degree, similar to the powerfold mirrors that we see getting gummed up and seizing if not used.

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Non-working parking brake's an MOT failure item, isn't it?
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it is.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567