Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: My (Wandering Teacake's, that is) X351 Ownership Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pictures. Which loch(s)?

... I love that you left mrs. Teacake in the car on the ferry whilst you wandered off to get a picture! I'm paranoid about sitting in my XJ in places like that in case I run the battery down and we can't (e.g.) get off of the ferry!

2. Likes #steve, WanderingTeacake, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    500 miles from South Wales to the place we were staying near the Isle of Bute. With a full tank at the start, I'd earmarked a place to fill up again near the Erskine Bridge, around 430 miles in, which is a stretch for the V8's range, but in the even we managed easily. We got 29.7mpg on the run up, and more like 24mpg around the islands and on the way back, partly due to an M6 closure that had us queueing through Kendal on a Saturday morning.

The Jaguar performed perfectly. Near perfectly. At one point, in foul weather near the Gretna Green, the radar cruise control gave up the unequal struggle against the very heavy road spray, but other than that it was impossible to fault. Mrs Teacake and I were supposed to take 2 hour shifts on the driving, but on the way up she drove straight past the first changeover point. And then the second one, and only surrendered the wheel after about five hours, because she had been enjoying the drive so much. On the way back I returned the favour, doing Blackpool to South Wales in a single stint.

I couldn't think of a better motorised companion for the trip, frankly. It was serene on the motorway, docile in traffic, seemingly limitless in its stamina up steep hills, and sure-footed on the winding descents. We took some pretty challenging roads, some quite uneven and narrow, at times nearly scraping the mirrors on either side, and it took everything in its stride. We were a bit crammed in, with five of us and all our stuff, but the girls were happy with the rear screen entertainment, and I was happy with a stack of MP3s on a USB stick.

I think I only saw three other X351s the entire week. I fell in with a black XJ on the M6 for a while and did that diplomatic convoy thing you have to do when two black XJs are in line astern.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

4. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, mac_doctor, #steve, Ashanti, C16RKC and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Great pictures. Which loch(s)?

... I love that you left mrs. Teacake in the car on the ferry whilst you wandered off to get a picture! I'm paranoid about sitting in my XJ in places like that in case I run the battery down and we can't (e.g.) get off of the ferry!
    Funny you should say that, because I'd been having battery problems in the weeks leading up to the trip, and ended up taking charger and jumpleads with me (in the event not needed). Turned out the new battery I'd fitted in December was faulty. I've put the original back in, and it's been perfect since, but I was getting that "will it start" paranoia for a while.

The pictures would all be from around the Kyles of Bute, or thereabouts.

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6,

6. Likes Jimbov8, mac_doctor, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTeacake View Post
    ..., partly due to an M6 closure that had us queueing through Kendal on a Saturday morning. ...
    Probably better than staying on the M6, if my experience is anything to go by!

I am glad that you avoid the "Chris. T. memorial pot-hole" on the A814!

... the girls were happy with the rear screen entertainment, and I was happy with a stack of MP3s on a USB stick....
    I find this brilliant but a bit uncanny - kid(s) in the back watching DVDs, me and the mrs singing away to 1970's prog rock in the front! (... to be honest she doesn't really pull her weight with the singing)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am glad that you avoid the "Chris. T. memorial pot-hole" on the A814!
    I understand there's a visitor centre and a statue commemorating "The Unknown Wheel Rim" on the site now.

9. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes mac_doctor, Jimbov8, #steve, Ashanti, C16RKC and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    me and the mrs singing away to 1970's prog rock in the front! (... to be honest she doesn't really pull her weight with the singing)
    Likewise; you'd hope they'd put a bit more welly into their bit of "Great Gig in the Sky."

11. Likes #steve, mac_doctor, Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likewise; you'd hope they'd put a bit more welly into their bit of "Great Gig in the Sky."
    Yup. It's not that we are asking a lot or being unreasonable!

13. Likes WanderingTeacake, Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mrs Teacake and I were supposed to take 2 hour shifts on the driving, but on the way up she drove straight past the first changeover point. And then the second one, and only surrendered the wheel after about five hours, because she had been enjoying the drive so much. On the way back I returned the favour, doing Blackpool to South Wales in a single stint.
    I did Oban to Brackley in a single stint last year
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

15. Likes C16RKC, WanderingTeacake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you are having a great time, the MPG you are getting is very respectable for such a fast car, as is a 400+ mile range!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '04 BMW 730d

www.autosanity.com

17. Likes Jimbov8, WanderingTeacake, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the spreadsheet, it's been 24.3mpg over the first 10k miles, in case you're wondering.

In other exciting news, I've been fiddling around with the seat position. I tend to sit quite close to the wheel, probably a habit formed from an early driving career of being a very tall person driving very small cars, and being used to a cramped driving position. Anyway, in the Jaguar I've been finding my foot tends to foul the bottom of the steering column as I move across the pedals, so - nearly a year after buying the car - I finally tried fiddling around with the driving position to see if I could improve that. And I found that if I moved the seat quite a bit further back I not only improved the space for my foot, it also made throttle control much easier. Previously, I sometimes struggled to get away cleanly and quickly into gaps in traffic, but now it's much easier to modulate the pedal and avoid lighting up the rear wheels. Also, the new seat position results in a lower steering wheel, which feels sportier too.

It's the first time I've changed position for anything other than comfort reasons, and found that it markedly changed the driving experience as well. Might be of use in the unlikely event that somebody else out there is as dim as me about these things.

19. Likes mac_doctor, C16RKC liked this post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast