Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 175,000 mile 2001 Stype purchase - help

Post Thanks / Like

Cool 175,000 mile 2001 Stype purchase - help

I am new to Jaguars and find myself in a predicament. My wife owned a Daimler many years ago that looked a lot like the S-Type. On a lark I searched Craigslist for a Jaguar and found an S-type for only $1200. I was shocked at the low price and remarked (off hand) I would buy it just for fun at that price. The wife has quickly convinced herself she needs this Jaquar and is thrilled I am buying it for her for Christmas. Oh dear.

feel free to laugh at me....

She has driven it today and says it is fine, but she knows nothing except how to drive and enjoy a car. I'll see it tomorrow and have a mechanic look at it Monday. I am no mechanic but I can address non-drivetrain items.

Questions:

Does a 175,000 Jaguar, typically, have life left for her to drive it 20 miles without getting left on the side of the road?
    It's not a daily driver as she has a nice Camry for that.
    What problems should I look for, specific to this model?
    2001 JAGUAR S-TYPE
    SEDAN 4 DR
    4.0L V8 F DOHC 32V
    GASOLINE
    REAR WHEEL DRIVE

It seems to me wiser to get one with half the mileage for $5000 but she has fallen in love with it.

***new vehicle, an unrestored 70's VW Beetle would look nicer than the 2001 mentioned above. ***
    new Jaguar is a 2003 S-Type, Sedan 4dr Auto. 3.0 V6 gasoline RWD 75,639 miles
    condition truly looks brand new, even underneath.
    Last edited by gmac0518; 17-12-18 at 00:40. Reason: added specific details on car

Post Thanks / Like
    The first question is which year. Which motor.
    Then we will be able to tell you to look out for.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    added details on the car to the first post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi and welcome to our madhouse!

I'm not surprised you're both sorely tempted to adopt one, the S Types are a very good looking car among the same-o same-o personnel delivery vehicles!

And the price is peanuts but don't be misled, any 17 year old car is going to need another $1,000 or so spending on it to get it up to our own standards, since many owners don't fix everything when they are thinking to sell.

If you find something wrong that can be potentially serious, ask for a proportional price drop.

Ok, here we go on checks...

First, that model has the Ford 5R55N 5-speed automatic transmission (gearbox) if it's an automatic. It's a good box and uses cheap transmission fluid. So it's best to find out which fluid and replace all of it at this mileage.

Check that gearchanges are smooth without slippage or jerks, up and down the range. Check kickdown is good. If you feel anything rough it might still be cured by fluid replacement.

The 4.0-litre is also a good solid V8 engine.

But! Apparently the camchain tensioners are plastic and prone to fail, so you need to check and replace them if they are still the originals or the same as the originals.

One of our pals will tell you how to see which type it has, but check other stuff first, you may decide against this one for other reasons.

Of course check everything is working.

If the engine check light is on ask your mechie to read the codes (but not to reset them yet) and let us know what they are.

Check that the Climate Control works - cold on both driver and passenger sides when you set the temp on "Lo" (with the AC on "Auto"), and hot on both sides on "Hi" when the engine is warm, and blows to the correct zones when you set it to blow to the windshield (defrost), vents and floor.

Check the sills behind their plastic covers for rust, if they go really bad they will cost more than the value of the car to replace or repair them. It's hard to check when the covers are on, and most owners won't let you remove them of course. Ask your mechie to do his best.

Check the rear subframe mounting points for rust.

Check the wheel arches for rust.

Check the trunk (boot) and footwells for water.

The rear light clusters and the boot lid seal can leak.

Other stuff is routine for any car - tyres, steering sloppiness, worn suspension bushes, door seals, rubber ball joint bellows covers (gaiters), anti-roll bar ball joints & gaiters, shock absorbers for oil misting.

Press down hard on each corner and release abruptly to check the shock absorbers are working.

Headlamps lenses are plastic and may be fogged but that can be polished out in an hour per side.

Windshield washers, headlamp washers if the car has HID headlamps (look for projector lenses inside the headlamps). The headlamp washers operate with every 6th operation of the windshield washers.

This seems an awful lot but don't worry, some are minor!

Others will pick up on what I've not listed.

If you decide against this one there should be many others so just give your wifey an IOU in that case. The V8 S Types after 2002 ("x202") have the 4.2 litre engine and the ZF 6HP26 gearbox, and many improvements. The non-supercharged model is usually badged as a "Sport" or "SE" and is cheap.

The supercharged S Type R is a bit more expensive but will appreciate in price as they become rarer because buyers don't yet know what those are.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 16-12-18 at 00:37.

5. Thanks gmac0518 thanked for this post
    Likes payno, S-Type Owner, goshawk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks

thanks for the excellent information.

7. Thanks Jim_S-V6_2004 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After the tensioners. Check all of the rubber and plastic intake pipes and all of the coolant pipes especially the expansion bottle.

Get your mechanic to check the suspension

This way
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

9. Thanks Jim_S-V6_2004, gmac0518 thanked for this post
    Likes payno, S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    No chance it will be on the same tensioners at that mileage. So scratch that one.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

11. Thanks Jim_S-V6_2004 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    No chance it will be on the same tensioners at that mileage. So scratch that one.
    There may be a chance they were replaced but with similar weak ones Lost One?

Dunno!

Is there an easy way to tell?

Used to have: Superb Silver 2004 2.5-litre V6 petrol, ZF Auto box
    Don't believe anything I say - Alzheimer's is setting in!
    Links:
    The Coffee Shop Thread: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=65758
    S Type Stickies: http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all.

I went to see the 2001 S-Type today. This is the one she saw/drove and told me she loved and had to have. Oh my goodness. Paint was oxidized and flaking on all top surfaces. Leather seats all around were cracking and worn. No leaping Jaguar on the hood and a wire hanging out of the headlight to open the hood. Rims and tires were the only thing that looked good. Perhaps a parts car for someone.

It took a bit of convincing that it wasn't worth buying. We went to see another, 5 times the price. It truly looks brand new inside, outside and underneath. I would expect to see some rust here in NH but it is really really clean. Still need to check under the plastic rockers.

I have done the checks mentioned above, although did not have it on a lift to actually check the ball joints etc. as described. I detect no clunks or rattles etc. and I am very sensitive to such things.

Locking seems to not be working though:
    • smart locking seems to not be working as you can lock the drivers door with the lock switch near the door lever and shut the door. All doors including drivers is locked.
    • salesman said you can't lock the car with the remote, must use a key
    • central locking switch seems to unlock all doors for a second and then they go back to locked. or the opposite. the locks revert to their original state after just a second.
    • the only lock button that seems to function is the driver's side. you can lock or unlock all doors from that lever near the door latch.

Any advice on the locks? I am searching the forum as well. So much information, its wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    "salesman said you can't lock the car with the remote, must use a key "

re locking with remote …..the clue is in the name REMOTE the salesman is an idiot if he's lying about this what else is he lying about ?
    Jaguar XKR x150 Cabriolet 2010

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast