Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severn Bridge tolls end

Post Thanks / Like

Severn Bridge tolls end

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46539168

I rarely use this crossing and don't think I have ever used the second bridge but I bet there are a lot of drivers who use it regularly that were delighted to see this. We pay so much tax to use our cars in this country that I really object to having to pay tolls to use bridges & roads as well and avoid them when I can. When the new bridge to the Isle of Ske was built in the Western Highlands I think they charged about £5 to cross and that was quite a few years back, but at least they abolished that when the bridge had been paid for.

I know it is common place in Europe and the US but they don't pay the level of taxes we do.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been better to reduce the charge to say £2 and use the money to maintain the bridge.

I can see it dropping into disrepair the way things are.

What do you chaps think?

3. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always seemed odd to me that you had to pay to enter Wales,but escaping was free....

I forget just what the toll was at the time,but when I was still working I tipped the lorry at Ikea Bristol one evening with a reload at Meritor,Cymbran booked for the next morning.When I went shopping for my supper at the local Tesco I was jostled by an Eastern European lady with huge bristols and a low-cut top,whilst I was getting my eyefull a second person lifted my wallet.
    The store manager was full of sympathy and within a few minutes my wallet was found in the ladies loo,minus the cash but with my cards still present.
    My gov'ner and I worked out that the added cost in fuel for avoiding the bridge was a few pence less than the toll fee,the penalty was the increase in driving time...he refused to pay my 'night out' allowance for one night!

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

5. Likes Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    Always seemed odd to me that you had to pay to enter Wales,but escaping was free....

I forget just what the toll was at the time,but when I was still working I tipped the lorry at Ikea Bristol one evening with a reload at Meritor,Cymbran booked for the next morning.When I went shopping for my supper at the local Tesco I was jostled by an Eastern European lady with huge bristols and a low-cut top,whilst I was getting my eyefull a second person lifted my wallet.
    The store manager was full of sympathy and within a few minutes my wallet was found in the ladies loo,minus the cash but with my cards still present.
    My gov'ner and I worked out that the added cost in fuel for avoiding the bridge was a few pence less than the toll fee,the penalty was the increase in driving time...he refused to pay my 'night out' allowance for one night!

I hope you voted for Brexit, E30? Keep those big tits Out!?

7. Likes E30MW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ode to the (Original) Severn Bridge

Two lands at last connected

Across the waters wide

And all the tolls collected

...On the English side !!!!!!!!!!

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate

Post Thanks / Like

# (Blue text) Cost of providing, maintaining and running toll booths must be quite significant and since the vast majority of those crossing the Severn make both a forward and reverse trip it makes sense to double the toll and charge it on one direction only.

# (Brown text) It's not a penalty in the summertime. Leave the M4 at the Swindon junction and you can take a leisurely trip through Gloucester, Ross on Wye and along the A40, enjoy some delightful scenery and drop off at any one of the numerous first class eateries where that yukky motorway Costa muck is banned in favour of proper coffee. Of course if I don't bother to stop then my journey home is 15 miles shorter but takes 15 minutes longer.
    Harry
    2003 X Type 2.0D SE. Jaguar racing green. Champagne/Mocha interior. Getting old but still a serious contender that turns heads with that distinctive Jaguar styling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago when I used to drive HGV's for an agency the place I had to delivery in South Wales was an almost identical distance either going down through Wales avoiding the Bridge as it was going over the bridge so I used to take the route into Wales avoiding the bridge and claim the toll then come back out over the bridge used to be a nice little earner over the course of a month
    XF-S 3.0 V6 275bhp Portfolio with a few nice extras Polaris White 20" Draco black rims Tinted windows and a few interior LED's

Joint owner of Merc 64 plate SLK 250 CDI AMG Sportline 200bhp in polar white

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep isn’t it about time the toll was abolished at the Dartford Crossing, it was meant to be when the crossings were eventually paid for!
    Jaguar XFS 3.0 380bhp Supercharged 2015/16 with all the toys
    Previous Jags
    XE 2.0 Portfolio 2015/16 in Celestial Black and fully loaded
    XF Sportbrake 2.2 Portfolio 2014/15
    XF Premium Luxury 3.0 2013
    XF Premium Luxury 2.7 2008
    S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 2005
    X Type 2.5 V6 AWD Estate 2004
    S Type 3.0 SE V6 petrol 1999

also have Yamaha FJR1300

12. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's under Khan's control it won't be stopped unless something is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeballroy View Post
    Yep isn’t it about time the toll was abolished at the Dartford Crossing, it was meant to be when the crossings were eventually paid for!
    If you can time your crossing between midnight and 6am,it's free!

2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect!) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast