Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: A New Twist On The Engine Temperature Problem

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Harleston Norfolk
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should pay for itself pretty soon then.
    2007 x type 2.2d S 6 speed, 128,000 and climbing.

  2. #12
    Member RF900R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely - makes you realize the importance of the correct operating temperature of an engine. Just the alternator pulley mod to do next and that should the engine (more or less) sorted.
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 122,000 miles and climbing!
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Lost it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hayling Island
    Posts
    7,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must admit I've never noticed an mpg improvement on my derv ones through getting them to run warmer. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

    Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

    Sure I took the Red pill....

  4. #14
    Senior Member Lost it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hayling Island
    Posts
    7,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've decided to order the parts I need to fit an independent 12v temp gauge in the top hose on my X type 2.2 to try and lay these low dashboard readings to rest for good. Top hose, downstream of the coolant thermostat. It's not going to be pretty as the dash design doesn't lend itself to extra gauges, but it's going to happen. And if it does show a higher reading than the dash one, I'll see if I can't feed the dash board and ECU from the same sensor. See if it does anything for the fuel consumption.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

    Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

    Sure I took the Red pill....

  5. #15
    Senior Member Flaktoaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind letting us know of the part number for the part you've used?
    I vaguely remember a previous thread where people have had trouble finding one that's correct for the car.
    Someone resorted to using one from Toyota if i remember correctly
    X-Type 2.0d Classic 04MY
    Well... 🎵 It's got a CD player! (Player player player player)

  6. #16
    Member RF900R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    I've decided to order the parts I need to fit an independent 12v temp gauge in the top hose on my X type 2.2 to try and lay these low dashboard readings to rest for good. Top hose, downstream of the coolant thermostat. It's not going to be pretty as the dash design doesn't lend itself to extra gauges, but it's going to happen. And if it does show a higher reading than the dash one, I'll see if I can't feed the dash board and ECU from the same sensor. See if it does anything for the fuel consumption.
    Keep us posted, it would be interesting to see the results you get.
    2006 X-Type 2.0 SE Diesel Estate: 122,000 miles and climbing!
    Heart of Gold, Nerves of Steel, Knob of Butter.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaktoaster View Post
    Would you mind letting us know of the part number for the part you've used?
    I vaguely remember a previous thread where people have had trouble finding one that's correct for the car.
    Someone resorted to using one from Toyota if i remember correctly
    i followed that thread had bought the toyota one you just have to change over the rubber seal was thinking of fitting it today but way too cold to play with water
    if you need the part number i can find it
    2005 x type 2.0D estate sport in black

  8. #18
    Member Roadrunner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used an ELM327 ODBII with the Torque App to test mine, there's a very narrow band on the gauge, 83 deg is just on the blue, 88 (where it should be) is slightly below centre. Changed both thermostats and it now reads exactly as it should at centre and 88-90 deg.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Lost it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hayling Island
    Posts
    7,843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RF900R View Post
    Keep us posted, it would be interesting to see the results you get.
    Certainly will. It's been circa 1 degree external temp up here, after about 6 miles the a/c just starts to lift the blower speed to put some warm air into the car. But if I use the defrost feature, I get warm air onto the screen very quickly. Which is strange. I generally use the electrically heated screen function.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

    Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

    Sure I took the Red pill....

  10. #20
    Senior Member RageMonkey1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    1,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    Certainly will. It's been circa 1 degree external temp up here, after about 6 miles the a/c just starts to lift the blower speed to put some warm air into the car. But if I use the defrost feature, I get warm air onto the screen very quickly. Which is strange. I generally use the electrically heated screen function.
    you get the instant warm air from the electric heaters althought i think it was only exports that had them fitted.

    EDIT: take it back some UK ones have it fitted too part number C2S48695
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •