Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X350 XJ6 to S Type R. Should I ?

Post Thanks / Like

X350 XJ6 to S Type R. Should I ?

Had to use a new account as I couldn't remember my old log-in.

As nice as my XJ is, being the V6 it's lacking a little something, (two cylinders mainly). I had looked at a couple of £5000 X350 XJRs, but they seem to be a bit rough at that price range.
    S-Type R's however, seem to be considerably cheaper. I guess £4000 Should get one half alright ?

So, what are they like ? The thing that impresses me the most about my X350 is it's sublime ride and handling. What do the STRs drive like ? Do they waft along as nicely ?

Are they on shocks & coils or airbags like the XJ ? I'm guessing there are the same gearbox woes to look out for, (the lurch!). Is there anything else I need to be aware of ? Where do they like to rust ? What is servicing like on them ? Are they as easy to work on as the XJ's ? Are the Brembo brakes expensive to replace ?

And finally, is anyone on here selling a nice STR in the New Year ?

In advance, cheers fellas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an S Type R and really enjoyed it but could not get the gearbox sorted even after a service - think it needed a torque converter so I sold it. To my mind the X350 is a better car overall - what made the S Type R for me was the engine and I lived with the rest of the car. It didn't feel as special inside as the X350 - not sure why really as they are quite similar but the XJ just has some nicer finishing touches. The big issue with the S type though was the rust. Sills, wheel arches I had and I have seen rear valance as well. I was looking for the X350 as being aluminium structural rust is less of an issue. I drove an XJ8 but found the ride too wafty for me after having had the S Type R so it may be a little hard for you? Maintenance was not a problem at all - I did all of mine and prices for brakes / suspension etc seemed reasonable although I did not use genuine brembo pads for the front as they were too expensive. If it was me I would go for the Super V8 or XJR in that order over the S type R but as always opinions vary!
    2018 XF 25T Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say the STR is more of a (sporty) driver's car - you're more in touch with the road conditions.
    If you want a soft wafty car then almost no cars on the road will suit you (but there are some).

DIY is easy enough except getting to some things in the engine bay is awkward as it's so full.

Rust can be an issue as above.

Mine's had no lurch I'm relieved to say.

I wouldn't have wanted 19" rims. It's good on 18".

The Brembos are not terrible on price but I DIY (and they're very easy). They stop very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find my STR very comfortable and "wafty" most of the time. It doesn't absorb the imperfections of the wonderful Buckinghamshire roads completely, but it is set up for performance over comfort. However, on motorways and good road surfaces I find it very comfortable. I have driven it almost all day and never once felt uncomforable.

The handling is very good as far as I am concerned, tonnes of grip - you'd have to be pushing it very hard to lose confidence in the corners. Obviously it is a heavy car, but the S-Type is meant to have 50/50 weight distribution so is well balanced.

Rear legroom is significantly smaller than the XJ, so if you have regular passengers it might be something to consider.

Servicing isn't expensive, the valley pipe is usually the most difficult job - but that's the same on all 4.2s.
    2005 Jaguar S-Type R in Ebony Black

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect you will be very disappointed with the S Type sport suspension.

I had a sport model as a loan car (when they were new) and was not comfortable!

I'm sure they are value for money though. I was thinking of one a few months ago!
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    The S-Type R doesn't have sports suspension, it has "R Suspension with CATS"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your opinions.

It would seem then that rust is going to be the biggest problem. Iíve had enough Ďfuní over the years out in the garage late at night with the angle grinder and mig welder to last a lifetime. Thatíll teach me to buy Land Rovers and TVRs !

I guess that all the usual rust spots are hidden behind plastic panels held in place by fragile plastic clips, thus making it difficult to inspect on any car youíre wishing to buy ?

Where are the exact places to look for rust on these ? And Iím guessing they rust from the inside out ?

Post Thanks / Like

Sills and occasionally around the rear wheel arch. You can see the bottom of the sill if you don't mind laying on the floor, so you should be able to get a feel of how rusty they are likely to be from that.

The later models are meant to suffer from it less, whether that is the reality I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I bought my S-type R over 3 years ago and its never misbehaved
    its been 100% but its was a very low mileage car with only 30k on the clocks
    mine is still like new, but the places to look is sills, behind those cover, no matter what year it is, the worse one ive seen have been post 2005 cars
    rear arches, if there starting to bubble, then sills are gone
    also some start to rust on the inside of the doors, front and rear, on the front and rear inside edge, where the seam sealer is, you will see spider like patterns under the paint, thats rust, front edge of front door is hidden with a plastic strip, which just slides up once its unclipped.
    check suspension should be silky smooth and so should be gearbox
    also check history if its had the valley pipe, water hose deep in the vee, under the supercharger, £ 20 hose, garages can charge up to £800 to replace
    find a good one and there great, love mine, allways put a massive grin on my face
    cheers
    Joe
    JOE, 2004, JAGUAR, STR, ZIRCON BLUE, STAFFORDSHIRE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isnít the valley pipe a DIY job ? Granted, I can imagine it taking a full day, but that must save at least £700, (Iím assuming other gaskets get replaced at the same time ?).

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast