Thread: Tie Rod Axle Joint

Post Thanks / Like

Tie Rod Axle Joint

Having recently purchased a 1999 Jaguar XJ8 3.2L (X308 model) I am in the process of undertaking a rolling restoration. Not a lot needs doing as it has only cover 57k miles. However, I got the car running and had it MOT'ed. It was picked up that the Inner Tie Rod Axle Joint had slight play in the bearings. Not a failure but it was an advisory. Wanting to get everything 'tip top' I decided to change the Inner Tie Rod. However, when checking Jaguar parts for this item, I discovered that Jaguar do not sell this part separately, you have to purchase the whole Steering Rack and Pinion assembly!!! Checking all independent suppliers, i.e. SNG Barratts, Martin Robey, David Manners, etc., etc., all do not sell the front inner tie rod.

On searching the internet, I found various websites that in fact do proport to sell this item. Buy Car Parts (In Germany!!) were one of those said suppliers. They had a variety of makes ranging from as little as £8.00 to just over £41.00. On completing their requirements for the registration, vin number, engine size, etc., on my car, I ordered one recommended by them. However, when it arrived it wasn't the same fitting. See attached photo.
    Obviously I contacted them and returned the item for a refund.

I then found another one from a UK company called Simply Car Parts. Their advertised picture of the item on the website was exactly how mine looked, so I ordered one. On its arrival, I was dismayed to find that it was exactly the same as the one order from Germany. The excuse used by the firm was that they didn't upload the photo of the item, Amazon did!! Hence this too was sent back.

I then did some more 'surfing' on the internet and found the item at our local Europarts Store, although far more expensive than the other two suppliers, I managed to obtain a reasonable discount and was able to see the item before purchasing it. This time it was the exact Tie Rod Axle Joint that was on my car.

It would appear that at some stage throughout the X300 & X308 history the joint appears to have been changed and no one knows which of the two types of Inner Tie Rods are applicable to any XJ8 model.

Fitting was easy and now pleased that this part of the restoration is complete.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2005 XK8 Convertible
    Seafrost & Ivory leather plus
    1999 XJ8 V8 Seafrost & Biege leather
    Both a Gem!!!

2. Thanks Andy K thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks for the info regarding the inner tie rod.
    The one in your photo looks like the ones they use in the XJS and Series lll,Part No JLM409.
    https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/JLM409
    Was there a Part No on your replacement one?
    Anyway have a good Xmas and New Year.
    Take Care.
    Armond
    Enjoy The Luxury Which Is The X308
    Jaguar XJ8 4.0 Sovereign LWB

Colour:Emerald Green (HGG code)
    Year 2000
    120000 Miles and Rising
    J.E.C. Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Armond. No the only part number was the manufacturers part number which was Product Code: 606630055. The one you are suggesting was shown at over £90, with the weekend discount from Europarts, I was able to obtain this part for £49. A big saving.
    2005 XK8 Convertible
    Seafrost & Ivory leather plus
    1999 XJ8 V8 Seafrost & Biege leather
    Both a Gem!!!