Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On replacing the MAF will the engine check light reset itself

Post Thanks / Like

On replacing the MAF will the engine check light reset itself

Merry Christmas all;

Last week while down in Dudley the engine check light came on P0174 & 5 code (running lean). Had these same codes about 5 years ago and the fault was diagnosed to be the MAF which was replaced and the fault cleared. On this occasion i took the MAF out cleaned with MAF cleaner let it dry, re-inserted and cleared the codes with the code reader all good for 20 miles or so and then the check light came back on. Rang Eurojags got a MAF the next day. Today i replaced the MAF but as an experiment i didn't plug in the code reader and reset the engine check light as i wanted to see if the fault is now cleared with the new MAF and if the system will reset itself after a few cycles and clear the engine check light.
    Does anyone know if this will happen or do i need to reset using the code reader and wait to see if the fault is fixed.

All the best Gos
    56 plate S type R

Post Thanks / Like
    i would reset with a code reader if you have one.

makes it much happier with the fuel trim
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

3. Thanks goshawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it can tell the MAF is now OK then after 3-4 warm ups it should turn the MIL off.

If the code isn't due to the MAF then it's unlikely to clear!

5. Thanks goshawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get all the OBD Code Reference Guides from www.jagrepair.com and look up the error codes in the Workshop Manual to see the interpretation and causes and the isolation diagnostic actions in sequence, Gos.

The MAF and some other sensors aren't expensive but there's no guarantee the MAF caused it this time.

Have you checked the fuel trims?

Some of the codes are in the SCP network Reference Guide and some are in the OBDII Reference Guide.

Check them and ask anything so we can do our best to save you spending more unnecessarily.

7. Thanks goshawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Get all the OBD Code Reference Guides from www.jagrepair.com and look up the error codes in the Workshop Manual to see the interpretation and causes and the isolation diagnostic actions in sequence, Gos.

The MAF and some other sensors aren't expensive but there's no guarantee the MAF caused it this time.

Have you checked the fuel trims?

Some of the codes are in the SCP network Reference Guide and some are in the OBDII Reference Guide.

Check them and ask anything so we can do our best to save you spending more unnecessarily.

Thanks Jim and all the best, no i haven't checked the fuel trims as i only have a basic code reader, the codes P0171 and 4 came up 5 years ago and my local Indie with their software diagnosed it to be the MAF to be at fault so i sourced one from EuroJags £40 and changed it. With the advice from Andy K i reset it and luckily it hasn't appeared since
    i am led to believe your suppose to clean them every 6 months with a MAF cleaner. Jim i could probably do with upgrading my code reader and if you have any suggestions on what to get it would be greatly appreciated i have a windows 10 laptop,, Gos
    56 plate S type R

Post Thanks / Like
    An elm327 will do fuel trims. Cost from about £5.

10. Thanks goshawk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I search elm327 on eBay I get at least 3 models. Which is the one to go for.
    With it work on iPhone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    An elm327 will do fuel trims. Cost from about £5.
    Thanks 04str will look into it have a good Christmas....Gos
    56 plate S type R

Post Thanks / Like
    My ELM327 with the Torque app on my Android phone showed the fuel trims.

I had both a Bluetooth and a WiFi ELMs, both worked fine although it could take 3 to 4 tries to connect sometimes. Both only cost about £12 each.

The WiFi version said it could connect to iPhone too. So look for one of those if you have the iPhone, and someone will advise what app to get.

But if you're keeping the car, get the iCarSoft LR V2 for about £140. It's the latest tool and will read everything in the Jags including the diesels.

Some of our members have the iCarSoft i930 or the LR V2 and can tell you more.

I've just received the Delphi 2015 R3 Dealer Diag tool and software but I don't have time to install it yet, it's family time.

Turkey is in the oven and the ham is cooked.

So...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Android: BT or wifi elm327
    Apple: wifi
    PC: usb
    laptop: usb (or maybe BT if you fancy it)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast