Thread: Cheap(er) aux coolant pump replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap(er) aux coolant pump replacement

Thought I'd just drop this here for anyone who needs to do the same job in future. My 2003 XJ8 was suffering from a difference in heater temperature from the RH and LH sides of the cabin. As I gather is usual, the passenger side was warm and the drivers side lukewarm. I've seen various bits of info scattered over the internet but it may be handy to put it in one place along with part numbers.

I decided to change the aux coolant pump, as after 15 years and 150k miles it would do no harm even if it wasn't at fault. I couldn't see any coolant moving in the header tank with the ignition and climate control on, but engine off.

Jaguar part is C2C6517, and is around £180.

With these pumps the hose connector can be very easily unscrewed from the motor and swapped, the impeller in the pump is driven magnetically so there is no chance of causing a leak by doing this. This means that if the hose connector is wrong it's no bother provided your old one isn't damaged.

The Jaguar bracket to mount the pump is just a rubbery thing and can easily be pulled off your old pump.

Despite what I read online Bosch pump 0392020073 is NOT a direct swap for the Jaguar electric auxilliary coolant pump and would be a pain to adapt as it has a different wire connector and a different sized hose connector.

I have discovered that the widely available Bosch pump 0392020034 DOES have the right electrical connector, but the wrong hose connector. I swapped the end over from my dead pump and saved £120 over the Jaguar part. I have some concerns that the flow rate of the new pump might be different but cannot find this data to check.

Swapping the pump over, I now see coolant moving in the header tank with ignition and CC on but engine off. Heater is working fine now, after a while bleeding the system.

Changing the pump wasn't too bad, 90% of the difficulty was in removing those damned spring hose clips. If I was doing it again I'd probably take off the top rad hose, move the header tank over, and then swap the electric pump from the hose connector part without disconnecting the hoses themselves from the connector.

2. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work David, I replaced mine some time back with the same 0392020034 pump, but mine seemed to be an exact replacement so not quite sure why yours was different. It does seem like there are a lot of very similar pumps out there with slightly different code numbers, it mostly seemed to be variants in the electrical connector as far as I could see but the aforementioned pump fit my connector and hoses no problem.

For anyone else doing this I would recommend investing in a pair of these:
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/flexible-long-reach-hose-clamp-pliers/?da=1&TC=GS-040816201&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-tOJ-dS23wIV4bXtCh0sBQ7HEAQYAiABEgIdpPD_BwE
    Rather than struggling with pliers etc to get the hose clamps on and off this tool makes it a doddle.

Ben
    2004 XJ X350 Super V8 LWB - Custom 19" alloys, 4 zone climate control, rear business trays

JagDroid - Android upgrade to Jaguar Touchscreen for XJ X350/X358, S-Type and X-Type - forum thread HOWTO and website: http://www.jagdroid.org

Post Thanks / Like
    I second that recommendation. I used the Draper equivalent and even with it some were fiddly.