Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misfire

Post Thanks / Like

Misfire

Hi ,my v6 3 litre S type has been laid up for the winter,but today I decided to give it a run all was well for about five miles when it developed an intermittent misfire
    Engine management light is on solid at tick over and flashing rapidly at higher revs
    Coil pack? Spark plug? Any other ideas I don't have a code reader mate does but he is thirty miles away, save to drive carefully to him?

Post Thanks / Like
    Flashing = severe misfire causing catalyst damage

I wouldn't drive it unless you fancy buying cat(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask him to drive to you because you will probably need new Catylists or buy your own elm327 and use an app on your phone to read the codes.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys going to be costly then, not cost effective to get him to come to me he is a one man operation so would need to shut up.his workshop and travel to.me as I live in the sticks, will probably need.get it trailered to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    get a code reader and find out which cylinder ...easy job to change if it's not one where the manifold has to come off . Be careful they changed the numbering of cylinders at some point .left hand bank was 1 2 3 up to 2002.5 then changed to 1 3 5 . You could disconnect the leads you can get at one at a time . If it makes the running worse that plug/coil pack is ok ,if not that's the one faulty
    Jaguar XKR x150 Cabriolet 2007

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David, I am aware of that if its a plug or coil pack miss seems to be intermittent , probably only a coincidence but it.only started to miss fire after filling up with fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine had a misfire on collection. I sorted it by getting a £15 generic OBDII reader from Eurocarparts. It picked up a code as coil pack cylinder 1.

The coil pack was delivered within 2 hours from Eurocarparts for around £30 and took literally 5 minutes to fit. On my 2001 V6 3.0, cylinders 1,2 and 3 are accessible without having to remove the intake manifold. It was literally popping off the plastic cover on the rocker cover, undoing one 8mm nut, unplugging the electrical plug from the coil pack, sliding a new one on the plug, reconnecting the electrical plug, doing up the 8mm nut and putting the cover back on.

I then reset the EML with the £15 code reader. I have since bought a Mongoose clone and SSD software, but if you need a quick diagnosis, those Eurocarparts readers work fine for this sort of fault.
    Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport 2001.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks mine is the same as yours , early 2002 have disconnected each coil pack on the left bank and the problem does not seem to be there, just my luck
    will buy a code reader before removing the manifold just to be certain , hard to be sure as the misfire is not constant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice not to drive it

Last year after 2 weeks away picked the car up from the airport & it was not firing on all cylinders. Decided to push on to Jag dealership and struggled to get up to 30mph. Left the car & they took us home. Jag replaced all 6 coils next day (bit of an overkill). 2 days later engine management light came back on. Back to dealer. Estimated cost 2-3 grand. Took it to my indy & they fixed it for 1 grand but had to replace the cats & 4 lamda sensors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Denser View Post
    Thanks David, I am aware of that if its a plug or coil pack miss seems to be intermittent , probably only a coincidence but it.only started to miss fire after filling up with fuel.

I had something similar once when I used a supermarket petrol station. The petrol was all right in my other car but not in my Jaguar but I would buy a scan tool like this to see what is going on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trimming-Sh...eywords=Elm327
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast