Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Buyer - Bootlind rust, rear suspension clonk, battery on its way out?

Post Thanks / Like

New Buyer - Bootlind rust, rear suspension clonk, battery on its way out?

Morning all. Looking for some advice.....

Very close to buying a low lilage 59 plate 3.0d Premium Luxury in the UK. Car is in good condition (no marks on body, very very few stone chips, clean paint etc etc apart from the rust mentioned in the title). Up with a smaller indy dealer.

I keep my cars for long time and want them to be reliable (journeys to france in the summer towing a caravan) and do about 10k miles a year.

Car has 40k miles and a full jag service history - last serviced approx 4000 miles ago and has a long MOT. It has had 4 owners (I would be the 5th) and is up for £9.5k although I would want to be paying a bit less if I bought it.

I've done lots of reading about these cars and done my homework on this particular one (phoned main dealers to make sure history matches etc) all seems well.

However there are a couple of things which are making me pause for thought....

1. I noticed two small bubbles of rust just below the silver boot lid trim. - What's the damage to get this rectified and are they likely to be other spots where it appears (I read the thread about the sound deadening panels rusting on the door by Jag75but this seems to be a one off as far as I can tell)
    2. On test drive heard a small clonking noise from rear nearside back wheel when going over speed bumps. - Understand this is a common issue but what are we talking to fix this? Dealer says they can't hear anything (of course) but it definitely exists.
    3. Battery was flat when I first went to view it - started first time with one of these emergency batteries that dealers have. Seems to be a bit sluggish to start when I've been to look at the car subsequently.
    4. CAm belt - hasn't been done. Realise it's 10 (7 yrs revised) or 105k - should I be looking to get this done immediatly of do you think it has a year or so's life left in it?

Otherwise I am happy with the car and the condition.

As I keep my cars for a long time and do not have unlimited funds I want to make sure any potential purchase is sound and not going to bankrupt me so would appreciate some advice.

I am fussy about the appearance of my cars and look after them so rust issues are a big turn off.

I've looked at all the usual suspects (BMW 5, Audi A6 quattro, MB E Class) and as I want a rear drive or 4 drive car these seem to fit the bill and look like very very good value when comparing to beemers, MB etc plus they look amazing.

Any help appreciated.

TA
    Last edited by Beany; 29-12-18 at 11:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beany View Post
    Morning all. Looking for some advice.....

Very close to buying a low lilage 59 plate 3.0d Premium Luxury in the UK. Car is in good condition (no marks on body, very very few stone chips, clean paint etc etc apart from the rust mentioned in the title). Up with a smaller indy dealer.

I keep my cars for long time and want them to be reliable (journeys to france in the summer towing a caravan) and do about 10k miles a year.

Car has 40k miles and a full jag service history - last serviced approx 4000 miles ago and has a long MOT. It has had 4 owners (I would be the 5th) and is up for £9.5k although I would want to be paying a bit less if I bought it.

I've done lots of reading about these cars and done my homework on this particular one (phoned main dealers to make sure history matches etc) all seems well.

However there are a couple of things which are making me pause for thought....

1. I noticed two small bubbles of rust just below the silver boot lid trim. - What's the damage to get this rectified and are they likely to be other spots where it appears (I read the thread about the sound deadening panels rusting on the door by Jag75but this seems to be a one off as far as I can tell)
    2. On test drive heard a small clonking noise from rear nearside back wheel when going over speed bumps. - Understand this is a common issue but what are we talking to fix this? Dealer says they can't hear anything (of course) but it definitely exists.
    3. Battery was flat when I first went to view it - started first time with one of these emergency batteries that dealers have. Seems to be a bit sluggish to start when I've been to look at the car subsequently.
    4. CAm belt - hasn't been done. Realise it's 10 (7 yrs revised) or 105k - should I be looking to get this done immediatly of do you think it has a year or so's life left in it?

Otherwise I am happy with the car and the condition.

As I keep my cars for a long time and do not have unlimited funds I want to make sure any potential purchase is sound and not going to bankrupt me so would appreciate some advice.

I am fussy about the appearance of my cars and look after them so rust issues are a big turn off.

I've looked at all the usual suspects (BMW 5, Audi A6 quattro, MB E Class) and as I want a rear drive or 4 drive car these seem to fit the bill and look like very very good value when comparing to beemers, MB etc plus they look amazing.

Any help appreciated.

TA
    Not much help I know, but for me I would walk away because you have listed enough things to get you thinking/worrying and I would be put off straight away with the rust, sure you can get it sorted but is it going to pop up again if previous owners did not get it sorted out, why didn't they (Were not lookng after it). It's had a fair few owners so that would put me off and the noise from the rear is also a worry.

My point is that there are so many good XF's out there you are spoilt for choice so don't rush into it and maybe think about travelling to get the right one.

Your call but I wouldn't touch it.
    When I die I want to go like my Granddad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like the people on the back seat.

XF V6 3L Diesel Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a conversation with the dealer - I could get it for 9k which is kind of what I was thinking of.

Re:
    The rust issue, how common is this - if I bought a different car how likely is it to suffer from the same thing....?
    Battery is easy to replace.
    Suspension, no idea how serious or costly to fix......sounds like it's fairly common for the bushes to go though?

It's had a few private plates on it so think the number of owners is down to it being swapped every few years for a newer model as they can afford it - there is nothing in the history (paperwork or when phoning dealers) to suggest it hasn't been looked after, it looks very clean inside & out apart from the boot rust (which are very very small - approx the size of quarter of a pea) and has been serviced on the dot plus has low miles. It drove very well apart from the noise...

Sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into it doesn't it......

Decisions, decisions.....

Post Thanks / Like
    No, it's a nightmare buying a car I was stressed right out getting my XF and rejected my first one at a main dealer when I went to pick it up because i missed so many faults but it looked good on paper and at first look simply because I was excited and was just looking at the car I wanted to own. I got a refund but on reflection I should have taken someone with me to get a second opinion. My concerns would be the rust issue, mine is 9yrs old and has no rust whatsoever not even under the car, it has no noises yet and it clearly was looked after, I also was able to speak to the last owner as the dealer gave me his contact details. I am sure your guy is OK but he is already lying about the noise which he says he can't hear but you clearly can.

I hope you can come back hear after owning it for a couple of months and say (Told you it was a good car) and call me out but don't do what I did and say to yourself, it's just abit of rust, it's only a slight noise and just a new battery when really these are the things that you don't want, like me your abit fussy and truth is you can afford to be give the amount of XF's on the market.

Perhaps get him to sort out the noise and rust spots and if he refuses walk away.
    When I die I want to go like my Granddad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like the people on the back seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I've had a think and discussed with my wife.

Think I am going to leave this particular car as although it has low milage (which appealed) the other issues are probably something that I shouldn't be worrying about on a 9yr old car, especially for 9k.

As you say there are a number of these about so it's not like I will be struggling to find one. No massive rush to get rid of my existing car either as it's running fine at the moment.

Guess I need to be patient although I've spend so much time researching cars over the last 2 months it's becoming tiring!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't looked at prices lately but 9k seems a bit pricey to me for a 2009 model 3.0D regardless of condition.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beany View Post
    Well, I've had a think and discussed with my wife.

Think I am going to leave this particular car as although it has low milage (which appealed) the other issues are probably something that I shouldn't be worrying about on a 9yr old car, especially for 9k.

As you say there are a number of these about so it's not like I will be struggling to find one. No massive rush to get rid of my existing car either as it's running fine at the moment.

Guess I need to be patient although I've spend so much time researching cars over the last 2 months it's becoming tiring!
    Your getting tired of researching means it's time to be cautious and patient, I knows it's not easy but just take your time. OK it had only 40,000mls but what sort of mile were they ? and given the faults I would say you have made the right choice at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't buy any car where you have doubts your gut instinct will tell you which is the right car.
    Try to get one with a reversing camera as they are a godsend.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

Post Thanks / Like
    Always worth having a look here, this is where I got mine and im happy.
    https://www.westwelljones.co.uk/jagu...pshire-6377679

Not sure where your from but might be worth a visit

Post Thanks / Like
    Walk away Low mileage cars are not always bargains There are plenty around . If rust is bubbling through then its a major job or boot lid replacement would be easier. Surface rust is bad enough but rot through is a nono . The rear suspension may be a simple job but could also be very expensive . Good luck with your search
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast