Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Ummmm... I got £158 9' and 8d.

So I redid it another 3 times and got the same.

Adding the £2 2' gives £160 11' and 8d.

Am I wrong?

Ah, yes, we used to get 1 sweet for a farthing, which had a wren on it, and 4 sweets for a penny, at the sweet shop on our street corner. Red and black liquorice too ("liquorish")

And those sherbet "fountains", wonderful zingy sherbet in a tapered blue paper bag with a straw stuck in it. And sherbet love hearts.

Pez sweet dispensers.

What else do you remember?

Gold Star Award

Yes, you are this year's recipient of the official mathmatical society's Gold Star for correctly adding a column of figures in pounds, shillings and pence (who said we shouldn't have gone decimal?).

The previously announced winner who made an incorrect calculation has failed to claim the prize so the 1981 2p piece with the words "New Pence" can now be awarded to the correct winner. Please send me a stamp-addressed-envelope and the prize is yours!

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...worth-700.html

2p! That'll teach you!
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Decimal went bad when we joined the EU in 1975. 6 pence dropped to 2.5 pence in value almost over night.

I look forward to March when we do a Brexit and get our money back.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing I remember the most that the price of my sweets doubled over night, my parents complained about he price of bread but that was unimportant to me it was the price my wine gums that worried me the most.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    We could only afford 1 gobstopper after decimalization.

We took it in turns sucking it, I hated following the kid with the snotty nose.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post

Gold Star Award

Yes, you are this year's recipient of the official mathmatical society's Gold Star for correctly adding a column of figures in pounds, shillings and pence (who said we shouldn't have gone decimal?).

The previously announced winner who made an incorrect calculation has failed to claim the prize so the 1981 2p piece with the words "New Pence" can now be awarded to the correct winner. Please send me a stamp-addressed-envelope and the prize is yours!

2p! That'll teach you!
    Because it's a spelling thread I called it 6p instead of 8d, well done Jim for picking it up. You deserve the Zero trophy, which I'm sure looks more like you than me
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

6. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero123 View Post

Gold Star Award

2p! That'll teach you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Because it's a spelling thread I called it 6p instead of 8d, well done Jim for picking it up. You deserve the Zero trophy, which I'm sure looks more like you than me
    Well it's kinda cute despite being a tiny step for mankind...

Does it ship to Cyprus or should I wait until we come back to the UK again?

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember before decimilisation day Feb 14th 1971 IIRC (Day I went into hospital for the first time) that everything changed.

Before that I could get my 9d pocket money, go down the shop, get all my chocolate, a Lucky bag, some Wriggly's, go to the pictures, get some chips on the way home, no bother.

Can't do that now, there's camera's everywhere.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

9. Likes Poundy, Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    I remember before decimilisation day Feb 14th 1971 IIRC (Day I went into hospital for the first time) that everything changed.

Before that I could get my 9d pocket money, go down the shop, get all my chocolate, a Lucky bag, some Wriggly's, go to the pictures, get some chips on the way home, no bother.

What????
    I can still remember the landlord of the local putting beer up to 1s 10d a pint. I thought this getting legless was going to cost a fortune. Though it must be said that beer was 3%, so you drink a 4 or 5 flagons and still remember what happened.

Signed. 10 feet from the next camera to be repaired and/or serviced.
    Got ST brakes on the ST, not the X type
    2009 X Type 2.2D Sovereign Estate
    2008 Focus ST2 CR285 plus some interesting mods, only driven on dry Sundays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post

You had 9d wow you were lucky I only got sixpence from my parents but I still felt like Jake the lad as I went to the shop and bought my copy of Dandy and some sweets for the week.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    My first pint of beer bought by my dad, Mild & Bitter, cost 11d

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast