Thread: What size alloy wheel/tyre for 19" wheels

Post Thanks / Like

What size alloy wheel/tyre for 19" wheels

Hi all. A friend of mine has bought an XF 3.0D and he's very happy with it. The thing is, it doesn't have the alloy spare wheel and tool kit which he would like to buy at some point. Does anyone know what size tyre to look for when buying the wheel. It has 19 inch wheels but I'm thinking that the aspect ratio was probably different from say 18-19-20 inch wheels that may be fitted to the car.
    I have 20 inch wheels on mine and the tyre fitted is 135.80.R18. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm assuming you mean space saver rather than an alloy spare - which should of course match the originals but then wouldn't fit in the boot.
    Size wise I'd expect the space saver to be the same irrespective of what wheels are fitted to the car. So whatever you have will be fine for your friend too.
    Tyre sizes change as wheel size changes primarily to ensure that the overall diameter of the wheel/tyre combination always remains the same - hence you don't tell the speedo or ESP system what size wheels you have as from the car's perspective, they're all the same.
    So it stands to reason that the space saver is the same size across the wheel range.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was thinking completely along the same lines as you are but then I fell over spare that is advertised as a GENUINE JAGUAR XJ XE XF S-TYPE ALLOY SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL with JACK KIT 115/85/R18. (copy/past from add) and that got me thinking that perhaps we should be looking into it for a bit more detail!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have staggered 19 inch wheels on my Sportbrake and a skinny 19 space-saver spare. Aspect ratio is well different to running wheels . Dont worry what it looks like its just a get you home wheel, albeit at 55mph ish.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Phil. Are you saying that your alloy is a 19 inch? Only, so far, I've only found 18 inch skinny spare, but with either 115 or 135 tyres on them and the aspect rato was slightly different as well. I'm thinking that his best choice would be the 135.80.18 which isn't too far from the height of his 19 inch alloys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look on here & you should be able to work out what you need:
    https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, looking at the numbers, you have a choice of 135/80/18 (diameter 26.5") or 115/85/18 (diameter 25.7")
    my 255/35/20's come in at 27" diameter
    Other XF sizes :
    235/55/17 are 27.2"
    245/45/18 are 26.7"
    245/40/19 are 26.7"
    So I'd say Jaguar have kept within half an inch of 27" diameter range which puts it firmly in the 135/80 territory and excludes the 115 variety..
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steve308 View Post
    Hi Phil. Are you saying that your alloy is a 19 inch? Only, so far, I've only found 18 inch skinny spare, but with either 115 or 135 tyres on them and the aspect rato was slightly different as well. I'm thinking that his best choice would be the 135.80.18 which isn't too far from the height of his 19 inch alloys?
    I have to admit I haven't even checked the diameter ! I will check and let you know .
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red