Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door lock purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Door lock purchase

Okay so my driver side door is refusing to lock. Internet and YouTube research tells me it's the usual JLR problem requiring a new latch assembly. I can get a new one from main dealer for £115. Parts guy needed to know if I had passive entry (no) or double locking (yes). Or I can buy a new one on Ebay for as little as £38. The Ebay one states its suitable for all xf 2008-15. No mention of passive or double locking. Has anyone bought one off Ebay and it's worked properly? Don't want to spend a day fitting only to find its not right.
    Glenn B
    2011 XF 3.0d S

Ex X-type 2.2d Sport Premium Estate 2005
    Ex X-Type 2.5 Sport 2002
    Ex '95 XJR
    Ex '85 XJ6 4.2 Sov

Post Thanks / Like
    HI, unfortunately most ebay sellers do not realise there is a difference for keyless entry cars, unless you can confirm your particular part number with them be very careful. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Decided to buy the one from the dealer. Will keep be amused for a few hours trying to fit it I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I took one look at my meaty paws and the available space inside the door and got an auto electrician to do it! Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Job done. Took half a day in the end. Absolutely no room in the door and poor access. Couldn't withdraw the lock without first removing the window. Took some footage and will put on YouTube later for the benefit of others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the cold snap has finished off the motors in my dear ms door ,won't unlock . I have repaired the motors in the similar Volvo unit . Has anyone else cleaned or repaired the lock motors on their XF ?

I have taken a chance and bought an E-bay offering . the last bits I bought from this seller , a front hub was excellent value . Will update when it arrives and again when fitted .
    Last edited by Phil F; 12-01-19 at 19:27.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    I think buying a genuine Jag part is expensive but favourable. It is a pain in the arris fitting these latches so you need to be sure it is the correct part.
    I need to replace a rear door latch and having emailed the sellers on ebay none of them would say categorically that their latch was compatable, the best I got was "it should work" not good enough.
    The car is in for service tomorrow and my Jag Indy is going to do the job for me, they don't trust the ebay knock off parts either.
    Curiously several of the ebay sellers all have the same post code, makes you think that the latches all come from one source.
    2009 XF 5.0 V8 Portfolio. One of The 67
    2007 S Type SE Diesel (Sold)
    2002 X Type Sport 3.0 (Sold)

Post Thanks / Like
    I fitted the E- bay sourced rear nearside door latch today. Comparing the units they looked identical and of the same quality with crisp moldings and the same numbers cast on it The Fitting is a bit fiddly but not difficult and took about 1 1/2 hours. All works very well. Must say after stripping down the old unit that has a Made in Germany label on its a cheap and nasty bit of kit and not worth even tinkering with, not what you would expect from a German manufacturer. I have repaired the motors in a Volvo unit that's far more complex but better quality albeit similar motors . So saved about £80 on the Jaguar part.

Ps. A tip to make reassembly easier . Before starting the job lower the window a half inch or so before switching off ignition. This allows you to re-align the two window regulator mounting bolts easily. If you don't do this then it's very easy to damage the thread on the captive nut . Not good if you don't have any taps at hand.
    Last edited by Phil F; 19-01-19 at 11:28.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

9. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does your car have passive entry? The latches for passive have radio receivers inside I think. That's the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    The latches are different for keyless / non keyless. EBay sellers could not confirm compatibility so I got my indy to do the job while he had the car for service, I think he used the part from Brit spares.
    2009 XF 5.0 V8 Portfolio. One of The 67
    2007 S Type SE Diesel (Sold)
    2002 X Type Sport 3.0 (Sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast