Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: ZX1 Extralube Micro Oil Metal Treatment - The story so far

  1. #1
    Senior Member set4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Havant, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like

    ZX1 Extralube Micro Oil Metal Treatment - The story so far

    First of, huge thanks to Jag-Black for putting me on to ZX1 after I posted a thread inquiring about oil additives for high mileage X-Types. That thread sparked some debate, the general consensus being that PTFE additives were bad and the rest were probably snake oil. Having never heard of ZX1 before I decided to research a little further and the initial findings were interesting, to say the least.

    So I've taken the plunge and ordered up 500ml of ZX1, the product details can be found here. Over the coming weeks I'll be adding it to the engine oil (recently changed (about 500 miles ago)), gearbox oil (it's due to be changed this coming weekend), cooling system, power steering fluid (again, due to be changed this coming weekend) and then I'll be adding it to the fuel.

    I'll be adding the ZX1 to each of the aforementioned one at a time and noting via this thread the results and observations etc. I'll try to be as subjective and accurate as possible bearing in mind that I don't have access to expensive measuring equipment and the such like. I do, however, have a db meter app on my mobile and also a GPS 0-60 app. This combined with taking mpg readings from the car and from the tank (i.e. fill up, drive a set route, fill up) should yield reasonable results.

    This whole exercise may take a few weeks but it'll be interesting to see what ZX1 can actually achieve in the eyes of a real-world driver.

    Are there any other observations etc that you think I should be looking out for? I'm open to suggestions but please keep in mind this isn't going to be conducted under lab conditions.

    Just to add, I emailed Team ZX1 Ltd yesterday via their website circa 17:25 and received a reply about 20 minutes later. That ain't bad at all. Stuart from Team ZX1 Ltd confirmed the recommended application of ZX1 so I'll be working with these figures:

    Engine oil (for a 2.2TD) = 225ml of ZX1
    Gearbox oil = 5%
    Cooling system = 25ml
    Power steering = 25ml
    1st fuel treatment = 1ml per 1ltr of diesel
    2nd fuel treatment (every 1000 miles) = .5ml per 1ltr diesel

    I'll update this thread as and when so stick with me on this one. Me thinks it's going to be an interesting ride.

    Cheers,

    Rich
    Jaguar X-Type 2.2 SE Diesel (2006)

    It'll all be alright in the end. If it's not alright then it's not the end.

    I'm dyslexic so please forgive me if I get my mucking words fixed up. Fully paid up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

  2. Likes Jag-Black liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Sean O''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Bingley West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be surprised if it makes any difference to your cooling system, how are you going to measure that? How are you going to measure the power steering effects, like wise the gearbox?

    You say you are changing PAS oil and Gear oil, these will have a noted effect on how the system feels, so will feel improved just from this action alone.

    Are you aware that Diesel engines run better the warmer they are (not overheated obviously)

    However I'm not a nay sayer, so good luck with your testing I hope it works for you.
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

    2011 Mini Clubman Cooper D Hampton.

    20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

  4. #3
    Senior Member set4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Havant, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O' View Post
    I'll be surprised if it makes any difference to your cooling system, how are you going to measure that? How are you going to measure the power steering effects, like wise the gearbox?

    You say you are changing PAS oil and Gear oil, these will have a noted effect on how the system feels, so will feel improved just from this action alone.

    Are you aware that Diesel engines run better the warmer they are (not overheated obviously)

    However I'm not a nay sayer, so good luck with your testing I hope it works for you.
    Ah ha!!! You've spotted my glaring omission! What I should have added was that I'm going to change each fluid in turn, run it for a couple of hundred miles and THEN add the ZX1. The engine oil was changed about 500 miles ago (the first oil change the car has had since I acquired it a few weeks ago so the ZX1 will be going in soon. Then I'll change the PS fluid, run it for a bit, note any differences (subjective granted) and then add the ZX1. Temperatures will be measured using my OBDII reader. Gearbox and power steering will solely be based on the 'does it feel better' principle.

    And yes, I was aware that diesel engines run better when hotter. This isn't about making the engine cooler, it's about lubricating and prolonging the life of the component parts. Now if a side effect of that is increased mpg then it's bonuses all round.

    Thanks for the points, keep them coming

    Cheers,

    Rich
    Jaguar X-Type 2.2 SE Diesel (2006)

    It'll all be alright in the end. If it's not alright then it's not the end.

    I'm dyslexic so please forgive me if I get my mucking words fixed up. Fully paid up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

  5. #4
    Senior Member RageMonkey1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    1,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    the best way to prolong the components IMHO isn't additives it just to change the fluids often. i change my engine oil every 6000 miles or 6 months along with all the filters, i do the gearbox oil every 2 years (which i know is overkill), break fluid every year, PAS Fluid i do when i do the gearbox oil so every 2 years. I've done the coolant once, but will be doing it again in the summer, as im replacing the manky old radiator with a new one, so which means it'll have been 3 years, so will probably make that an interval.

    yes what i do is overkill, and a lot of people will say its a waste of money, but from other threads on here , i seem to get more MPG out of my car then most on here, which could be coincidental, or could be down to changing everything so often.

    i just feel if the components needed extra lube then they would have come with it from the factory.
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

  6. Likes Lost it, Mr Squirrel liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member Sean O''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Bingley West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    I over service my own cars too RageMonkey, I even use genuine filters and replace all, except the air filter which I do yearly (its only £12) Whilst I'm not doubting any additives, I just can't see how one additive can work so well in a variety of different environments.
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

    2011 Mini Clubman Cooper D Hampton.

    20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

  8. Likes Mr Squirrel liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member RageMonkey1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    1,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O' View Post
    I over service my own cars too RageMonkey, I even use genuine filters and replace all, except the air filter which I do yearly (its only £12) Whilst I'm not doubting any additives, I just can't see how one additive can work so well in a variety of different environments.

    lubricating additives are Homeopathy for cars IMHO. the only benefits I've ever had from any additive are cetane boosting ones and obviously biocide additives (although i dont really store the fuel long enough to require these)
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

  10. #7
    Senior Member set4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Havant, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageMonkey1989 View Post
    the best way to prolong the components IMHO isn't additives it just to change the fluids often. i change my engine oil every 6000 miles or 6 months along with all the filters, i do the gearbox oil every 2 years (which i know is overkill), break fluid every year, PAS Fluid i do when i do the gearbox oil so every 2 years. I've done the coolant once, but will be doing it again in the summer, as im replacing the manky old radiator with a new one, so which means it'll have been 3 years, so will probably make that an interval.

    yes what i do is overkill, and a lot of people will say its a waste of money, but from other threads on here , i seem to get more MPG out of my car then most on here, which could be coincidental, or could be down to changing everything so often.

    i just feel if the components needed extra lube then they would have come with it from the factory.
    You make a very good point there. I intend to service my X-Type ever 6k to 7.5k miles as I think that's the best thing to do given the high mileage of the car. I am, however, intrigued by this ZX1 as it seems to be the first 'additive' that makes sense to me. Time has taught me that the vast majority of additives are a waste of time and money and I recall trying most when I started driving twenty-odd years ago. The only one I've really stuck with is RedEx.

    Let's see how this little ZX1 experiment goes. It could show no positive benefits, it might blow my mind. At this point in time, who knows?
    Jaguar X-Type 2.2 SE Diesel (2006)

    It'll all be alright in the end. If it's not alright then it's not the end.

    I'm dyslexic so please forgive me if I get my mucking words fixed up. Fully paid up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

  11. #8
    Senior Member Sean O''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Bingley West Yorkshire.
    Posts
    1,012
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does the company have any independant scientific evidence the product works?
    2007 X-Type Saloon sport 2.5 AWD in Black.

    2011 Mini Clubman Cooper D Hampton.

    20 years experience with motor vehicle engineering.

  12. #9
    Senior Member FastEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Premium quality oils and changed regularly surely has to be the best option throughout a vehicles life.

    I'm sure if any of the oil additives were any good , the developers and products would be swallowed up by the giants.

    Moving metal parts need a thin layer of oil between them for lubrication and heat transfer , not a ptfe insulator.

    Slick 50 / ZX1 - Premium snake oil in my opinion , but obviously only my opinion.

    Additives are like non believers turning to God , they normally have hope in their pocket when something is wrong !
    2009 , X358 LWB , 2.7 TtcrdiV6 , Liquid Silver



  13. Likes Sean O' liked this post
    Dislikes set4d disliked this post
  14. #10
    Senior Member set4d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Havant, Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean O' View Post
    Does the company have any independant scientific evidence the product works?
    Have you asked them?
    Jaguar X-Type 2.2 SE Diesel (2006)

    It'll all be alright in the end. If it's not alright then it's not the end.

    I'm dyslexic so please forgive me if I get my mucking words fixed up. Fully paid up member of DNA (National Dyslexics Association)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •