Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vandalism

Post Thanks / Like

Vandalism

As some of you know I live in a small German village. We are now having a spate of vandalism to cars. It is happening to people who are relatively new commers. Two cars opposite to my house have been keyed and I have had the air let out two of my tyres on the Jaguar.

I am considering buying a security camera which will be focused on my cars on my drive. The problem is I suspect that it is one of my neighbours child who is out of control and forever doing stupid things.

Can anybody recommend a good value camera which does not have to be wired permanently to the house.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheap cameras are rubbish, I changed mine to a 4 camera HD system made by Swann.
    The images are crystal clear and the whole house is covered as well as the car.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

3. Likes fat controller, ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got to agree - Swann are up there in terms of quality, and cheaping out on cameras is a false economy - you want the images as clear as possible, even if it is only to knock on a neighbours door and show them their little brat lining himself up for a fall.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking outside of the box here - I have a 'Little Acorn' wildlife camera set up in my garden, and it records nightly visits from the local foxes and occasional badgers.
    It records to an SD card and I take that out every morning for a viewing.

They are small, easily concealed and you can set them up for stills or video - mine takes 60 seconds of action every time it's triggered, and it runs of off AA batteries, which will last about a week if you get as many hits as I do (about 20 to 30 a night). I've now got mine rigged to a solar charging device and use the batteries as a back-up.

https://www.ukwildlifecameras.co.uk/...210a_P629.html
    2007 XJ diesel Sovereign
    KTM 1290 SuperDuke R
    Ducati Supersport S

6. Thanks ducmon thanked for this post
    Likes ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going with owl's idea, a dashcam with a USB power supply and a chunky capacity SD card - the problem would be concealing it, keeping it dry, and checking regularly enough to catch anything.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Going with owl's idea, a dashcam with a USB power supply and a chunky capacity SD card - the problem would be concealing it, keeping it dry, and checking regularly enough to catch anything.
    The nextbase and many other dash cams have a motion sensor park setting, it triggers the cam if movement is detected within the visual range of the cam and will run to the predetermined time you set it for then switch off and save. Then repeat again later if they come back, so a normal 32g sd is usually plenty and not a constant drain on the battery. Plus you also have the advantage of using it in the event of a road accident for insurance purposes. Fit it to the car and reverse on the drive lol!
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

9. Likes fat controller, ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a whole range of these cams out there. Two things you need most. Clarity. Perhaps put up a bright light triggered by motion? Position. Its great having the little brat walking up to your car as clear as day but if he disappears behind your car you cannot actually claim you saw him damage your car. So perhaps park very close to the fence so he cannot do that side? I too am in favour of the wildlife cams. or perhaps a tiny cam, good quality, hidden in a birdbox? Or a convincing dummy cam mounted high up and obvious?

For instance https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JUSTOP-So...5:razz:f:0&var

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLOUREON-...kAAOSwypZb4uDu
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few motorcycle camera's that can easily handle 100 mph water washes. They are designed to be exposed. Take one of those into consideration?
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

12. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just bought on fleabay a netbase 412gw for 55 pounds but I will also but an animal camera.
    Thanks for all your ideas.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    put up a couple of dummy Cameras but let you Neighbours know they are state of the Art add some outside lights too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast