Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: C16 RKC's 2004 BMW E65 7 series 3.0 diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    ...Despite some of its wrinkles, I think the X350/X358 was one of Jaguar's finest cars ever produced.

So remind us all why you aren't sitting in another one? Surely one tree-parking incident doesn't put you off!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

2. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So quick update:

I picked the car back up last night, no noticeable difference after the service. The garage advise the car needs:

* New front tyres (I knew about this).
    * New Angel eye bulbs (I knew about this).
    * New disks and pads (I should have listened, as not sure which ones!)
    * New viscous fan.
    * 2 new suspension bushes (think it was top subframe and back subframe, something like that).
    * Repair to rectify EGR valve sticking (think it was valve or something).

I'll take care of the tyres and Angel eye bulbs myself, but the rest will come to around £700+VAT... so that will be eye watering!

Then I know of some of some other things I'd like to do:

* There is a Lego man trapped down the side of the drivers seat - requires rescue.
    * Passenger window goes up down, but there are strange noises - needs investigation + fix.
    * i-drive knob needs replacing as intermittently works.
    * Interior needs a jolly good clean!
    * Wheels need a serious clean and possible refurbish.
    * Windscreen has a crack in it, this is an MOT pass but it bugs me.
    * Leather seats and trim have odd spots that need colour touch up/scuffmaster treatment.
    * Headlights are clouded and need wet-sand/polish.
    * Entertainment system is old fashioned, needs new Android system!
    * Only one cigar lighter socket works, the other two do not (hopefully fuses?).
    * Engine bay needs a clean.
    * Steering wheel has minor wear, needs colour touch up.
    * OEM navigation does not work, despite brand new DVD. Perhaps new laser needed...

I think that's it.....
    Last edited by C16RKC; 08-01-19 at 09:51.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

4. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    So remind us all why you aren't sitting in another one? Surely one tree-parking incident doesn't put you off!
    That's a good point Chris!

No other reason that I'm just bored on them, I've had three now and I just cannot get any enthusiasm for another one. They are a fantastic car, but I just fancy a fresh change.
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

6. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "I think that's it....." unfortunately it never is with a BMW lol.
    2010 Jaguar XF 3.0 D

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That made me chuckle Jim; that is exactly what I feel like Jim - a permanent used car buyer!
    The problem is, I rely on my car so I need something reliable. But on the flip side, the 12 year old boy part of me wants a luxury barge to ride around in. So I am not very practical when it comes to choosing cars. I still don't really enjoy having to ride around in a Diesel; I cannot stand the noise they make. But needs must when you do 25K miles a year.

There is part of me that sort of guesses this car will only last a couple of years max, before I get bored of it, and move on. The shocking part is I'll sort out all the faults, probably upgrade the audio/visual system (already spotted something I like...), clean up the interior and wheels... then I'll sell it on and it will all be dead money... but everyone has their vice I suppose..?

The Mercedes I had before the Jag was bought in a similar rush (I had not intended to keep it), but I kept it for over 2 years. I don't like modifying cars to look differently so I pretty much just restore them. In those 2 years I had the wheels refurbished, sorted out the bodywork (there was lots of rust and dents), installed a special OEM look Android head unit, re-trimmed seats where leather was damaged, and fixed all sorts of other things, replacing trim etc. The car was tip top when I sold it and if I remember right I had spent around £10K on it when I sold it on. Lindsey's comment was that I could have bought a new car for the price of the upkeep and upgrades I had done to it, she was right. I'm aware this makes me a sort of car buying/upgrading prat, and I'll have to try to control myself with this one!

But I suppose considering all things, everyone needs a hobby, and I do enjoy it I suppose. I know other people who spend similar amounts of cash on other things, for example I know someone who spends much more than that on photography equipment every year; and its just his hobby.

The X358 was probably one of the best cars I'd owned, because it needed little repairs and I did not spend too much on it. Despite some of its wrinkles, I think the X350/X358 was one of Jaguar's finest cars ever produced.
    On the above in bold Chris....
    I laughed whilst nodding at this and totally get it, I guess I was the same with my X358 until I got her where I wanted her to be. I never got anywhere near the money back that I put into her, but, I enjoyed her for the time I had her and got an above average price when I sold her with a heavy heart.

I took pride in her and it was a hobby of sorts too I suppose, definitely one of Jaguars finest for me too.

So quick update:
    I picked the car back up last night, no noticeable difference after the service. The garage advise the car needs:

* New front tyres (I knew about this).
    * New Angel eye bulbs (I knew about this).
    * New disks and pads (I should have listened, as not sure which ones!)
    * New viscous fan.
    * 2 new suspension bushes (think it was top subframe and back subframe, something like that).
    * Repair to rectify EGR valve sticking (think it was valve or something).

I'll take care of the tyres and Angel eye bulbs myself, but the rest will come to around £700+VAT... so that will be eye watering!

Then I know of some of some other things I'd like to do:

* There is a Lego man trapped down the side of the drivers seat - requires rescue.
    * Passenger window goes up down, but there are strange noises - needs investigation + fix.
    * i-drive knob needs replacing as intermittently works.
    * Interior needs a jolly good clean!
    * Wheels need a serious clean and possible refurbish.
    * Windscreen has a crack in it, this is an MOT pass but it bugs me.
    * Leather seats and trim have odd spots that need colour touch up/scuffmaster treatment.
    * Headlights are clouded and need wet-sand/polish.
    * Entertainment system is old fashioned, needs new Android system!
    * Only one cigar lighter socket works, the other two do not (hopefully fuses?).
    * Engine bay needs a clean.
    * Steering wheel has minor wear, needs colour touch up.
    * OEM navigation does not work, despite brand new DVD. Perhaps new laser needed...

I think that's it.....
    The immediate list isn't too bad Chris, could be a whole lot worse, ask him for a cash price and save £140.00 though and then with 100k on the clock and EGR issues check out Terraclean for your car to possibly help with emissions and better mpg a little bit, cost around £130.00

Has it had a service? Engine oil / filter, air, fuel and pollen filters?
    Same ZF gearbox? Has it been serviced?
    Are the brake fluid / power steering fluid and coolant due for renewal or have they been done recently? All too often overlooked...

The little bits n bobs, cleaning etc and touch ups on the leather will all make a difference and keep you busy Chris

The difference in stepping up to a much newer vehicle at a much higher price is, I still have a little running around to do to fix a few issues but they're all under warranty and so cost nothing which is a bonus.
    I'll be renewing the warranty in a week or two for another year, makes sense

There's not much to do as regards the hobby side as she's more or less top of the range, so I'll add a bootlid spoiler at some point, illuminated tread plates and perhaps a remap but there's no rush. Other than keeping her clean and driving her to enjoy the ride, there's not a lot to do and so boring in that sense, but I'm coming to terms with it lol

Keeping my eyes on your threads ( of which there are many ) to keep up with the latest developments

Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

10. Likes #steve, C16RKC, Ashanti, FastEddie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    ...so I'll add a bootlid spoiler at some point, ...
    Why would anyone want to spoil their bootlid?
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

12. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    PS - what are you going to change your avatar to, Mr Clark?
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

14. Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris

I was browsing the forum last night and came across your various car threads on your recent experiences - what a nightmare! Sorry to hear about the demise of the XJ 358 -glad you were OK. I thought it always looked a lovely car which had clearly had a lot of TLC. The insurance claim sounds a right PITA - I thought we had problems last year when my wife's Audi TT got written off due to an attempted insurance scam by the other party but nothing compared to your recent issues! Are the insurance company still prevaricating over what model the XJ was? There seem to be quite a few stories about Jaguar's records of the cars they produce not being accurate. I had an X Type that was adriatic blue in colour but on the V5 it was recorded as green! seems Jaguar had sent the wrong paint identification number to DVLA although they never admitted it! Then there was the case of quite large number of later X Type's being recorded as the wrong spec - some Sovereign's were recorded as S.E's and vice versa. I wonder if this another of their little errors!?

I think you were fortunate that the dealer in Kidderminster agreed to take your Mercedes back kind of restores your faith in the used car trade.

Good luck with the BMW I am sure you could have done without a £700 bill to start the new year but on a car of that age & mileage some expenditure was going to be inevitable as long as it doesn't escalate too much it should see you right.
    Jaguar XF Luxury 3.0 V6 petrol, in Claret Red with barley leather, Venus alloys

previously Jaguar X Type 2.1 V6. Gone but not forgotton

16. Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post

Has it had a service? Engine oil / filter, air, fuel and pollen filters?
    Same ZF gearbox? Has it been serviced?
    Are the brake fluid / power steering fluid and coolant due for renewal or have they been done recently? All too often overlooked...
    Tut tut Jim.... only now, after all this time, do I finally understand what Rich was going on about. You really do just skim over our posts with no interest in the detail... It's this sort of "I don't have to read your posts properly because I'm a Laird of the highlands" behaviour that lets you down I am afraid. No doubt you will use the excuse that you were distracted by your LED adaptive headlights, or blind spot lamps or something?...

So, cough, cough, ahem... for Jim's benefit...

From yesterday

It's also having a full service
    From this morning:

So quick update:

I picked the car back up last night, no noticeable difference after the service.
    She had what they class as 'Full service' so as far as I can fathom that's Oil/Filter, Fuel filter, Air filter, (Not sure about Pollen filters?) then a good old inspection and necessary oiling/greasing etc. I'll double check exactly what's included on the bill.

Stuff like gearbox oil, brake fluid, coolant probably needs attending to when I have the car 'back on the straight and narrow'.

For the time being, next thing I need to sort are some tyres...
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

18. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, Ashanti, FastEddie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    PS - what are you going to change your avatar to, Mr Clark?
    I think I'd better play it safe and have a scrolling one?

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.X.T View Post
    Hi Chris

I was browsing the forum last night and came across your various car threads on your recent experiences - what a nightmare! Sorry to hear about the demise of the XJ 358 -glad you were OK. I thought it always looked a lovely car which had clearly had a lot of TLC. The insurance claim sounds a right PITA - I thought we had problems last year when my wife's Audi TT got written off due to an attempted insurance scam by the other party but nothing compared to your recent issues! Are the insurance company still prevaricating over what model the XJ was? There seem to be quite a few stories about Jaguar's records of the cars they produce not being accurate. I had an X Type that was adriatic blue in colour but on the V5 it was recorded as green! seems Jaguar had sent the wrong paint identification number to DVLA although they never admitted it! Then there was the case of quite large number of later X Type's being recorded as the wrong spec - some Sovereign's were recorded as S.E's and vice versa. I wonder if this another of their little errors!?

I think you were fortunate that the dealer in Kidderminster agreed to take your Mercedes back kind of restores your faith in the used car trade.

Good luck with the BMW I am sure you could have done without a £700 bill to start the new year but on a car of that age & mileage some expenditure was going to be inevitable as long as it doesn't escalate too much it should see you right.
    Many thanks for the works of encouragement!
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

20. Thanks J.J.X.T thanked for this post
    Likes Ashanti liked this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast