Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: C16 RKC's 2004 BMW E65 7 series 3.0 diesel

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    I wouldn't be keen to try the Landsails myself, no personal experience but have heard they're not the best as you can imagine I'm sure

I'd probably aim towards the Falkens myself, no personal experience but heard / read so many positive reviews from car enthusiasts / forum members on various sites. Barums / Avons or Kumho would be other decent options if available in that size

Cheers
    Jim
    That settles it, I was a bit on the fence. For the sake of a measly £20 a corner (actually a bit less) it's just not worth it. I'll go for the Falkens as I have tried that brand and had a good experience. To my surprise no-where I have searched have come up with Barums, Avons or Kuhmo's. I have often found Avon ZZ5 a good value choice in the past.

Thanks for your much appreciated help Laird Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry_B View Post
    You bought an E65

May the BMW gods have mercy on your soul
    Too many people are saying that to me lately... it almost feels like I have adopted a problem teenager or something!

I did google the E65 quite a bit first, and the only real recurring problem I could find was blowing turbo's, which seems to plague the BMW 3.0 litre engines like it does the 2.7 Jags. Other than that people just complain about the electrics, but nothing specific I could find.

Have you heard of anything specific I should be worried about or look into?

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    I do enjoy reading your posts Chris. Always full of good content and more than anything else , very open and honest.

At least now I comfortable with the fact of knowing who to contact , if or when I decide to put any of my vehicles out to pasture

You must surely miss the XJ a little , although these little mishaps in life always affect us in different ways .......
    Thanks for the kind words Eddie, I think I'd gladly take your Bentley or 760i off your hands!!...

I do miss the beauty of the X358, I certainly do. But just the same it is nice to have something different.

I looked through the adverts for X358s and nothing really took my fancy though, none of them are like mine was; I'd done lots of little things to it, and I also loved the colour combination and wheels. Unlike this BMW, I actually took my time selecting the XJ, it was the only Black LWB with the Magnolia/Black trim I could find - that also had all the options; Cooled seats, Rear screens, Rear blind, side blinds, electric/heated/memory rear seats. It was exactly what I wanted, on little over 42K miles. Finding another like it would be near to impossible. I had a Mercedes S class to ride around in while we carefully looked for the XJ, so there was no rush, we sold the S-class when I had purchased the XJ.... that's the right way to do it!!

The idea of finding/buying another XJ and starting again feels kind of daunting, and I think that's one of the reasons I fancied a change.

If I could rewind time, miss the tree and have my car back I certainly would though!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1991 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, 1993 BMW 520i, 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

2. Likes FastEddie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another quick update to the list:

First step (reporting acceleration problem to garage at same time, to investigate):

* Full service and check over of car. DONE 07-01-19 £255.60

After service, the garage advise the car needs:

* New front tyres. Ordering 2x Falken to be fitted on Saturday (£91.50 each fitted!). Would love to have done all four... but they are not just yet needed and I'm penny pinching...
    * New Angel eye bulbs Ordered 2x while LED superbright bulbs, hope to fit at weekend? £34.99 posted
    * New disks and pads (I should have listened, as not sure which ones!) Getting done Tue at garage
    * New viscous fan. Getting done Tue at garage
    * 2 new suspension bushes (think it was top subframe and back subframe, something like that). Getting done Tue at garage
    * Repair to rectify EGR valve sticking (think it was valve or something). Getting done Tue at garage

Other things I'd like to do:

* There is a Lego man trapped down the side of the drivers seat - requires rescue. To be planned in ASAP, Lego man's condition seems stable
    * Passenger window goes up down, but there are strange noises - needs investigation + fix.
    * i-drive knob needs replacing as intermittently works.Replacement I-drive knob arrived (£21.58 posted, Ebay)... but it does not match mine... drat!!... plan to pull it apart and see if I can swap the components when I get a few hours
    * Interior needs a jolly good clean!
    * Wheels need a serious clean and possible refurbish.
    * Windscreen has a crack in it, this is an MOT pass but it bugs me.
    * Leather seats and trim have odd spots that need colour touch up/scuffmaster treatment.
    * Headlights are clouded and need wet-sand/polish.
    * Entertainment system is old fashioned, needs new Android system!
    * Only one cigar lighter socket works, the other two do not (hopefully fuses?).
    * Engine bay needs a clean.
    * Steering wheel has minor wear, needs colour touch up.
    * OEM navigation does not work, despite brand new 2019 DVD (£12.95 posted, Ebay). Perhaps new laser needed...
    * Wiper blades appear to be made of wood (or they sound like it going across the windscreen) - Replacement Bosch 814S ordered £29.50 posted!
    * Diagnostics cable and software, for future use. Received cable and software (£33.98 posted, Ebay) but yet to try it

I think that's it.....
    Last edited by C16RKC; 09-01-19 at 16:05. Reason: Added prices
    Regards
    Chris Clark

Previous cars: 1991 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, 1993 BMW 520i, 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

4. Likes #steve, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made tiny progress today - fitted my Angel eye bulbs.

When I bought the car and these were both gone, I assumed there must be some sort of module out. It seemed to make no sense that someone had not just replaced the bulbs (despite the owner saying that's all it needed).

It turns out, Angel eye bulbs are a complete pain in the backside to fit...

A dealer will tell you to take the front bumper off, which is a 2-man job in my opinion. Certainly not something to do in the semi-dark, on a concrete car park. But thankfully I found this amazing thread on how to do it without removing the bumper:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...ighlight=angel

So armed with this I ordered my bulbs, and they arrived yesterday. Smart looking box with gold writing on it. Very comprehensive set (adapters must be for other models).

So I managed to free the lights one at a time, just like in the thread. I was surprised to see the bulbs I removed were already LED ones? But first test of the new ones looked great (that's the old one sat beside the new one). My goodness are they bright!

So put it all back together and hey presto - 45 mins good work!

Before left hand site:

and after:

Before right hand side:

and after:

But best of all, it clears the two faults on the dash computer... so now I am fault free!
    Last edited by C16RKC; 15-01-19 at 13:34.
    Regards
    Chris Clark

www.autosanity.com

6. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Chris but will be even brighter if you can get the lenses clear, they do look a tad cloudy.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

8. Likes Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Chris, Jimbo's right, time to break out the wet and dry a bit sooner than you'd factored is in order.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

10. Thanks Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbov8 View Post
    Looks good Chris but will be even brighter if you can get the lenses clear, they do look a tad cloudy.
    Chris, me ole china, I'm with Jimbo on this too

Either those lights are just plain filthy or time to break out the wet n dry and get to work

Some difference though AND clears lights on the dash, a 2 for 1 job

Nice one
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

12. Likes Jimbov8, Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    He’s probably out there doing it now Jim, ashamed of himself he is.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

14. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too little too late Jim, really and truthfully they should've been done AFTER he took the before pic and installed the new lights to show the difference in a much clearer light (pun intended)

I'm underwhelmed
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

16. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, Ashanti, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    Too little too late Jim, really and truthfully they should've been done AFTER he took the before pic and installed the new lights to show the difference in a much clearer light (pun intended)

I'm underwhelmed
    Jim
    Just plain cruel,

Jim'd our Chris has been
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

18. Thanks Jimbov8, JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It’s still a BMW.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

20. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC, Ashanti liked this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast