Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting petrol in the tank?

Post Thanks / Like

Getting petrol in the tank?

I have 2005 x type estate 2.5 awd petrol.
    And of late filling up is a nightmare I have to drip it in a bit at a time as the fuel backs up and cuts the pumps off has anybody got any ideas on what is the problem.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    They always did this - I remember it well from my saloon years back. The only thing I can suggest is to rotate the nozzle in the filler next by 90º as that seemed to relieve some of the blowback
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect that the evap system is blocked. Modern cars are designed not to allow times to be vented to the atmosphere and when you try to.fill the tank the nozzle registers that tank is full because the petrol.is unable to flow down the pipe quickly enough. Here is an explanation of the way it works.

The evaporative emissions (EVAP) system is used to prevent fuel vapors (hydrocarbons) from being released into the atmosphere. This is accomplished by trapping the fuel vapors in a charcoal canister when the engine is off. Once the engine is running, the vapors are purged from the canister into the engine and subsequently burned. The following components are used in the EVAP system:
    • Charcoal canister

This is the heart of the EVAP system – it traps and stores the fuel vapor. The chemical composition of charcoal allows it absorb the vapors then release them when fresh air passes over.
    • Fill Control Tube

This is the part of the system that shuts off the gas pump nozzle when you your tank is full. It is located along the top of the filler neck and provides an expansion space at the top of the tank for fuel vapors.
    • Gas Cap

This is the part of the system everyone is familiar with. What most people don’t know is that the cap contains a pressure relief valve, which allows the system to vent in the event of a malfunction.
    • Purge Solenoid

The purge solenoid controls the purge valve based on commands from the PCM. The PCM will typically command the solenoid on when the engine is warm. The vehicle also has to be traveling at a certain speed with the throttle open a specific amount.
    • Purge Valve

The Purge valve regulates the flow of fuel vapor from the canister into the engine.
    • Canister Vent Solenoid

On vehicles with enhanced EVAP systems, the vent solenoid is used to seal the system off from outside air. This allows the system to perform its self-test for leaks.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

4. Likes payno, Jag-Black liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtrout View Post
    I have 2005 x type estate 2.5 awd petrol.
    And of late filling up is a nightmare I have to drip it in a bit at a time as the fuel backs up and cuts the pumps off has anybody got any ideas on what is the problem.
    Thanks
    This happened to me at the same petrol station for weeks I reported it to them and they said it was a defective switch on their pump nozzle ....And they were waiting for it to be repaired ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try putting a bit of premium fuel in, most cheap supermarket fuels don't have all the additives in, the main one being Anti Foaming that causes pump shut off.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

7. Likes Lost it liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since your evap filter or vent pipe is blocked nothing will cure the prpblem until you unblock the vent pipe or change the filter chaps.

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 08-01-19 at 07:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even so Jim the lack of anti foaming in many supermarket fuels creates the same problem, the vapour pushes back to the fuel coming in. I have no problems with the likes of Ultra it fills as quick as the pump allows, the same applies to the V8 merc petrol. If I use the local Sainsbury's it's a nightmare as are a number of other cheap priced stations. Of course it could also be theorised that a denser antifoamed fuel deliver more fuel for the price.
    Last edited by Poundy; 08-01-19 at 12:39.
    64 Plate RSport 3.0D All Black, Ceramic coated, self healing front car wrap, 19" alloys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post
    Even so Jim the lack of anti foaming in many supermarket fuels creates the same problem, the vapour pushes back to the fuel coming in. I have no problems with the likes of Ultra it fills as quick as the pump allows, the same applies to the V8 merc petrol. If I use the local Sainsbury's it's a nightmare as are a number of other cheap priced stations. Of course it could also be theorised that a denser antifoamed fuel deliver more fuel for the price.
    I have used Sainsbury's 90% of the time for over 30 years and have never had a problem filling any car I have owned
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    I have used Sainsbury's 90% of the time for over 30 years and have never had a problem filling any car I have owned

But not my Sainsbury's

12. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Poundy View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast