Thread: Internal Boot Trim Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Internal Boot Trim Removal

I would be grateful for some advice.

I am planning to remove the internal boot trim so that I can check the condition of the lower inner wings and thought it best to ask how easy it is and if there is anything in particular that I should take particular care with. All advice and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    2003 4.2 XK8

Post Thanks / Like
    Floor and battery panels out, bulkhead panel out, remove rear light covers and then side panels last. Should be easy and quick to do, there are no traps for the unwary.
    2005 XKR Coupe
    1969 Daimler V8-250

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. Can the offside panel be removed without removing the CD player first (an amplifier is not fitted)?
    2003 4.2 XK8

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the trim fits around it.
    2005 XKR Coupe
    1969 Daimler V8-250

5. Thanks Doug Cooper thanked for this post
    Likes Doug Cooper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Removing the trim is the easy bit of what you're planning! Access to the lower inner wing on the offside is (virtually) impossible with the CD player and its support tower in place. A few nuts/bolts secure them and they can be removed, but then the wiring needs to be unplugged to get it out. I believe convertibles have an extra hurdle with the pump and pipework, but I could be mistaken on that bit.

When you do get down into the depths of the inner wing areas, check out the flap valves (one each inboard side) that allow air to flow through the whole car. One of mine had never been correctly located as a line of excess OEM sealant prevented its frame from seating in the panel. It clearly allowed water to get in. Since fixing it its been bone dry in there.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

7. Thanks Doug Cooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information.

Are the flap valves the black plastic rectangular objects, about 15cm in length, level with the top of the battery (I could not work how to attach a photo)? They did not seem to be vented to the outside.

I was planning to treat the box section each side with cavity wax, is there any reason why this would be a bad idea?
    2003 4.2 XK8

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you've identified the valves; the 'flap' bit is a very thin piece of rubber - almost like surgical rubber glove material! I could just put a finger through to feel/prove it working.

Treating any box sections with wax must be helpful, but best done when it's totally dry. I found the bottom of the space between the offside outer and inner wings was about 1/4 inch deep in fine, damp road debris that I loosened and vacuumed out and hair dryered before waxing. I blamed the badly fitting flap valve as the other side was clear and dry.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

10. Thanks Doug Cooper thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the confirmation. I have checked box section with an endoscope and there are no signs of moisture so I will give it a spray.
    2003 4.2 XK8