Thread: Brake Disc Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Disc Advice

Hi All.

My beloved S-Type failed it's mot. I suspected it needed rear suspension work (it does) but I was surprised (and disappointed) to learn that it also requires rear brake pads and discs. I thought it had been treated to new pads and discs all round before I bought it but I've checked the paperwork and can see it was front discs only.

Essentially it looks like my Rear Brake Caliper has seized on one of the discs and excessively worn the pads and disc on one side.

I'd like to source the parts myself (it makes it easier for me to pay to buy parts separately and just then pay for the fitting and I'm trying to tie down the right size discs to purchase.

I've put my Registration into a number of sites and am being offered a selection of discs either 288mm or 326mm. Is there any way to check which are the right pads short of taking the wheel off and measuring the discs themselves? This seems like a bit of a pain to be doing at this time in the evening so I can get the right parts.

I've also spotted that one of the rear brake calipers seized in this way 2 years ago and had to be stripped, have pads replaced etc etc. Should I consider getting a replacement caliper too?

Thank you in advance for your advice !
    2005 Jaguar S-Type D Sport Automatic. Grey/Black interior

Post Thanks / Like
    Ello!

Have a look at this info in our S Type Stickies, Andy and Neil have done a lot of research on this: https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=82753

3. Thanks isquish thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim

That's perfect, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Good afternoon Guys,
    The last time I purchased brake discs and pads I bought Mintex brand off Fleabay. Many sellers to choose from with free p&p.
    Great price and good quality.

Supertrev.

Truly immaculate 2004 XJ 350 - V8 in Jaguar Racing Green which sparkles in the strong sunshine.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it helps these people, BigRed4U, do rear caliper repair kits with piston on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAGUAR-S-...item41f10c03e3

They also do very reasonable priced new front calipers but not rear unfortunately.
    Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 SE 2003 MY

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I think I've got the right bits ordered. They're arriving tomorrow so I should know.