Thread: Door Trim Removal

Post Thanks / Like

Door Trim Removal

I'm in the process of changing the wood trim including ash tray and gear surround to a dark birdseye maple and the only thing left is the door strips which I plan on vinyl wrapping. Does the wood door trim just prise off, or is it a door card off and release from the rear job? Strips on ebay look as though they should just prise off, but long experience of trim panel removal tells me there's often some hidden little screw, clip, fixing or tab just to tease and make the job harder.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Roadrunner.
    Yes you are right, the wood trims are held in place by metal "tags" which protrude from the back of the trims and fit through slots in the door card.
    If you try to prise them off you will pull the tag through the card and damage it.
    However, my car did not have the wood trims originally, and I purchased a set from E-bay. To save on removing the door cards, I simply fixed the trim in place using silicone.
    I know some purists might think this is not the way to go, but if you did not know how the trims were fixed, you would never guess, and, 2 years on they are still securely fixed.

Hope this has helped.

Alan in sunny Malta.
    2003 2.10 petrol 11,000 genuine miles from new. In unmarked Topaz paintwork, champagne leather interior, custom quilted headlining, fitted over-mats, retro fitted wood door trims. leaper, front & rear chrome light embellishers, retro fitted front and rear parking sensors, retro fitted sat-nav on consul.

Did you know 6 out of seven dwarfs' are not happy !!

3. Likes Roadrunner69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Alan, I think I know exactly which tags you mean, and I can see there's a good chance they'll pull through. I might try it with a forked spudger holding the tabs whilst prising the wood, I can get the positions from ebay pics. I'll try it on one of the back seats first.
    Why is nothing ever as straight forward as it should be?
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.