Thread: Heater Controls

Post Thanks / Like

Heater Controls

Help...?
    I got in my X-Type yesterday morning (a 2004 2.5 V6 SE) and the heater vent controls appear to have randomly stopped working...
    Air is blowing through the top windscreen vents, but when I use the control switches to change it to blow onto my feet or through the central dash vents, nothing changes!
    It doesn't matter which setting I use, it's only blowing onto the windscreen.
    I've had the car a year and this has never happened before.
    Any ideas please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a heater vent reset:
    Select full cooling (Lo)
    Select full heating (Hi)
    Back to full cooling
    Select face followed by floor
    Then select face again
    Finally select defrost

Battery disconnect will reset it too, but that means buggering about with the radio/windows and single/double locking afterwards.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your time Roadrunner, but it's a fail I'm afraid... Tried both the reset (twice) and battery disconnect (incidentally, how do I reset the windows to do one-touch closing again?).
    Happily blows through top vents, and through face vents, but just doesn't want to blow on my feet, just blows through windscreen vents instead...
    Ironic. I have poor circulation and suffer from cold toes all winter! Ahhh!!
    Looks like I'm at the whim of an overcharging local mechanic... Hey Ho.
    Thanks again though,
    Dean

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on which type you have, (Sat-nav/Climate control or manual A/C) it might be an idea to grab another control panel from eBay (usually around 20-25 quid) before ripping the dash apart to get to the vents and motors, it worked for me on an X-type where the vents didn't want to play ball a few years ago. Like an arse I didn't disconnect the battery before removing the A/C panel when playing with the radio and blew it.

To reset the one touch window closing just take each window in turn all the way down, hold for a few seconds then all the way up and hold a few seconds.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, I'll give that a go...
    Daft not to at that cost.