Thread: N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated

Post Thanks / Like

N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated

Good morning,

Happy Friday all. I'm off to look at a 2003 4.2 SE, an a cursory glance at the last MOT tells me "N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated". My immediate question is, how much am I looking at to repair this (so I can negotiate a price discount), if it hasn't already been done?

Many thanks,
    Thomas
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    If it means the driveshaft boot then KwickFit will replace it for £80 from memory - or they do for the front driveshaft boots on other cars I've had. They cut the old one off, remove the driveshaft end from the hub and stretch a new one over the CV joint and reasemble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad advice re Kwikfit - see customer reviews - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/kwikfit.co.uk?page=4

Personally wouldn't trust their cowboys with a kids pedal car. Remember the old Kwikfit ad -"there's nothing worse than a Kwikfit fitter"

XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio, Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi, '67 Triumph TR4A

Post Thanks / Like
    Same old same response there. I don't generally advocate Kwikfit either but on a job that only consists of removing a couple of bolts and doing up again a there is little they can get wrong and if they do, you get them to sort it out - you will know within 3 seconds if your driveshaft bolt has not been refitted.

Regarding using social media to gauge if a multinational company with hundreds of garages up and down can do a simple job. It's a well known fact that many more people will complain than leave positive comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought,

But if this is something that seems as straightforward as suggested, is it not a DIY job?
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not easy without a special tool to stretch the boot over the CV joint. The boot opening is about 1inch across, you have to get it over a 3inch CV joint. You ideally need a compressed air boot spreader/stretcher.

7. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One for the Indy then, should mine ever need doing.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, I fell in love with the car on the test drive and bought it. So, that's two V8 cats I own now...

10. Likes Milowokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RimmerJag View Post
    Same old same response there. I don't generally advocate Kwikfit either but on a job that only consists of removing a couple of bolts and doing up again a there is little they can get wrong and if they do, you get them to sort it out - you will know within 3 seconds if your driveshaft bolt has not been refitted.

Regarding using social media to gauge if a multinational company with hundreds of garages up and down can do a simple job. It's a well known fact that many more people will complain than leave positive comments.
    Don't like to admit it, but a few years back, against my better judgement, used Kwikfit for two simple jobs - one recharge air con and other supply. fit and balance new tyre. They managed to f*** up both jobs. So I also can talk from personal experience.

To the OP good luck with your new purchase, enjoy - SWMBO still prefers my old X350 to my X351.

XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio, Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi, '67 Triumph TR4A

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several boots......

Driveshaft CV boots - in which case, but a Jaguar one and re-fit it properly, the stretch-over-the-top ones are a typical garage bodge to make it easy

Lower wishbone inner pivot bush boot - these have a separate cover boot - so you're looking at a lower wishbone

Upper wishbone inner or outer boot - same story, you're looking at a new wishbone

track control arm boot - one at both ends, but the new arm comes complete.

My advice would be to budget for £300 so you have the most expensive covered.

...... but then again, if its the lower wishbone, I would only replace in a pair