Thread: N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated

Post Thanks / Like

N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated

Good morning,

Happy Friday all. I'm off to look at a 2003 4.2 SE, an a cursory glance at the last MOT tells me "N/S rear suspension arm boot deteriorated". My immediate question is, how much am I looking at to repair this (so I can negotiate a price discount), if it hasn't already been done?

Many thanks,
    Thomas
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    If it means the driveshaft boot then KwickFit will replace it for £80 from memory - or they do for the front driveshaft boots on other cars I've had. They cut the old one off, remove the driveshaft end from the hub and stretch a new one over the CV joint and reasemble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bad advice re Kwikfit - see customer reviews - https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/kwikfit.co.uk?page=4

Personally wouldn't trust their cowboys with a kids pedal car. Remember the old Kwikfit ad -"there's nothing worse than a Kwikfit fitter"

XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio, Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi, '67 Triumph TR4A

Post Thanks / Like
    Same old same response there. I don't generally advocate Kwikfit either but on a job that only consists of removing a couple of bolts and doing up again a there is little they can get wrong and if they do, you get them to sort it out - you will know within 3 seconds if your driveshaft bolt has not been refitted.

Regarding using social media to gauge if a multinational company with hundreds of garages up and down can do a simple job. It's a well known fact that many more people will complain than leave positive comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a thought,

But if this is something that seems as straightforward as suggested, is it not a DIY job?
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not easy without a special tool to stretch the boot over the CV joint. The boot opening is about 1inch across, you have to get it over a 3inch CV joint. You ideally need a compressed air boot spreader/stretcher.

7. Thanks Ashanti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    One for the Indy then, should mine ever need doing.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca
    Nextbase Duo Dashcam

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, I fell in love with the car on the test drive and bought it. So, that's two V8 cats I own now...

10. Likes Milowokie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RimmerJag View Post
    Same old same response there. I don't generally advocate Kwikfit either but on a job that only consists of removing a couple of bolts and doing up again a there is little they can get wrong and if they do, you get them to sort it out - you will know within 3 seconds if your driveshaft bolt has not been refitted.

Regarding using social media to gauge if a multinational company with hundreds of garages up and down can do a simple job. It's a well known fact that many more people will complain than leave positive comments.
    Don't like to admit it, but a few years back, against my better judgement, used Kwikfit for two simple jobs - one recharge air con and other supply. fit and balance new tyre. They managed to f*** up both jobs. So I also can talk from personal experience.

To the OP good luck with your new purchase, enjoy - SWMBO still prefers my old X350 to my X351.

XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio, Mondeo Estate 2.0TDCi, '67 Triumph TR4A

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several boots......

Driveshaft CV boots - in which case, but a Jaguar one and re-fit it properly, the stretch-over-the-top ones are a typical garage bodge to make it easy

Lower wishbone inner pivot bush boot - these have a separate cover boot - so you're looking at a lower wishbone

Upper wishbone inner or outer boot - same story, you're looking at a new wishbone

track control arm boot - one at both ends, but the new arm comes complete.

My advice would be to budget for £300 so you have the most expensive covered.

...... but then again, if its the lower wishbone, I would only replace in a pair