Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights suddenly stopped working

Post Thanks / Like

Lights suddenly stopped working

My lights have suddenly stopped working. Nothing happens when I turn the switch to position I or II - unless I pull it out to the foglight position when they come on in position II. The main beam on the stalk works OK. Surely this can't be related to my recent key fob change? It started happening after that...
    2002, 2.1 Manual Sport, 58,000, BRG... Retrofit: 18' Proteus wheels/Avon ZZ5's, Brembo pads & discs, braided hoses. Parrot Asteroid Smart. Electric rear windows, powerfold mirrors, premium speakers, hardwired Nextbase dash cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like switch problem to me. Try removing the switch and liberally spraying switch cleaner in it and toggle back and forward a few times. Dirt can build up between the switch components.
    I would not think for a moment that it has anything to do with a fob change.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

3. Likes Mr Squirrel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiv View Post
    Sounds like switch problem to me. Try removing the switch and liberally spraying switch cleaner in it and toggle back and forward a few times. Dirt can build up between the switch components.
    I would not think for a moment that it has anything to do with a fob change.

Roger
    Hi Roger, thanks for that - I gave it a try but the problem persists. It's odd because the dash lights up, as does the switch, in fact, everything is as normal - except the lights don't work!
    2002, 2.1 Manual Sport, 58,000, BRG... Retrofit: 18' Proteus wheels/Avon ZZ5's, Brembo pads & discs, braided hoses. Parrot Asteroid Smart. Electric rear windows, powerfold mirrors, premium speakers, hardwired Nextbase dash cam.

Post Thanks / Like
    This sounds like it could be your backup alarm sounder is faulty and blowing fuse f67 or f75. The sounder has an internal rechargeable battery it's known for it to blow the fuse which causes various symptoms (dependant on year/model of x-type) like no headlights.

If the fuse is replaced and it blows again, then unplug sounder and replace the fuse again. This should prove the point.

The sounder and plug location is behind the liner under the left front wing and can be seen in this post:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post613205
    (EX) '06 2.0D SE Estate

Post Thanks / Like
    The OP says that they come on when he selects the fog lights so the fuse cannot have blown.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

7. Likes jimbo20 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fuse F67 (or f75 on some models) is only ( I think) 5A. It doesn't directly supply the power to the headlights, but to various other support items, eg relays etc. I remember seeing here that depending on the exact year and options fitted certain functions won't work in certain circumstances when that fuse is blown.

You are right in that the problem could also be caused simply by a faulty switch though.
    (EX) '06 2.0D SE Estate

9. Likes rchiv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo20 View Post
    This sounds like it could be your backup alarm sounder is faulty and blowing fuse f67 or f75. The sounder has an internal rechargeable battery it's known for it to blow the fuse which causes various symptoms (dependant on year/model of x-type) like no headlights.

If the fuse is replaced and it blows again, then unplug sounder and replace the fuse again. This should prove the point.

The sounder and plug location is behind the liner under the left front wing and can be seen in this post:

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...l=1#post613205
    So, I may well have caused this while messing about with my key perhaps? Unlocking/locking the car using the fob without a transponder in it...It seems an unusual coincidence that the problem started after the key fob change

Post Thanks / Like
    what about the earth point behind the nearside light , had a similar but not exact problem once, to check i fixed a length of wire from the earth point on the light to a bright part of chassis or negative lead on the battery and lights worked. i think there's two maybe three earth points behind that light that can cause problems
    x type 3.0 auto sovereign and kawasaki zx10r

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo20 View Post
    The fuse F67 (or f75 on some models) is only ( I think) 5A. It doesn't directly supply the power to the headlights, but to various other support items, eg relays etc. I remember seeing here that depending on the exact year and options fitted certain functions won't work in certain circumstances when that fuse is blown.

You are right in that the problem could also be caused simply by a faulty switch though.
    Where is the fuse located? Glovebox or engine compartment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse F67 5A is located in the central junction fuse box though if that has blown you would have lost quite a few other circuits.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast