Thread: Electrochromatic rear view mirror

Post Thanks / Like

Electrochromatic rear view mirror

My interior rear view mirror is failing fast so I'm looking for a fix.

I don't fancy paying £90 for a second hand one that may in itself fail in the not too distant future so I'm happy to fit an non electrochromatic mirror. I tend not to use my car after dark so I'm happy to accept the manual dipping.

Has anyone on the forum gone down this path and if so are they willing to share tips etc.

Thanks a lot.
    1997 4.0 XK8 Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    If you mean the liquid leak / cloudy appearance this is very common. You need to remove the mirror as soon as possible - the liquid is corrosive and will drip onto your gear lever surround and ruin it.

I removed the mirror and dismantled it. The front and back halves can be separated by carefully prying apart, be patient they are stuck solid but will give in. You can then remove the glass which is two layers with the liquid sandwiched between. A sharp knife all the way round the joint will eventually let you separate the glass. Clean off all the liquid and reassemble.

You now have a perfectly clear mirror with no dimming of course. In my case I actually prefer it as it matches the door mirrors and I have never had any problems with glare at night. A simple fix with some diy skills.

3. Likes frankc, wey_aye_man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfernandez View Post
    If you mean the liquid leak / cloudy appearance this is very common. You need to remove the mirror as soon as possible - the liquid is corrosive and will drip onto your gear lever surround and ruin it.

I removed the mirror and dismantled it. The front and back halves can be separated by carefully prying apart, be patient they are stuck solid but will give in. You can then remove the glass which is two layers with the liquid sandwiched between. A sharp knife all the way round the joint will eventually let you separate the glass. Clean off all the liquid and reassemble.

You now have a perfectly clear mirror with no dimming of course. In my case I actually prefer it as it matches the door mirrors and I have never had any problems with glare at night. A simple fix with some diy skills.
    Excellent advice. I did not know you could do that.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.
    [SIZE=4]

For a list of most topics written in this 'Story' Please click here.

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosfernandez View Post

Posted on here and the xkec I did similar but swapped in the electrochromic glass from a later car with a broken bracket. No chance of the fluid leaking out of my old one, it still sits near my desk looking brown You can pinch the glass from any other electrochromic mirror that's the same size from Donnelly as they just use a standard PCB connector its the additional parts like the circuit board and the bracket/cables that change within the Jaguar models and range.
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    Now the question of the century. on a 1999 xk8 how does the mirror come off the windscreen. Half say push up, half say push down, which is it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update.
    I removed my mirror over the weekend (you push it up following the plane of the window, a little squirt of WD40 helped)and cleared the remaining gel from between the mirror and the glass then reassembled the mirror and now job's a gudin.

A little toothpaste on a piece of kitchen towel helped to remove the stubborn areas of where the gel had dried.

OK so I don't have a dipping mirror now but boys in their Corsas driving on my tail with their headlights on isn't generally a problem.

Thanks to carlosfernandez for the initial advice.
    1997 4.0 XK8 Convertible