Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 S Type CATS fault: where is SCP diagnostic connector FC001 located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by muskox3437 View Post
    You are hovering on the edge of my competence with computer analysis and the differences between English terminology and Canadian terminology. I read that you are saying pin 2 is positive and pin ten is negative, which is what I am taking from the manual And that FC1 might be part of the OBD II socket. Trying to learn here!

Bob
    My main point was that you probably should not be testing the SCP at all unless you have a specific fault pointing to it. Do you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the system is not working and that the car is always on 'firm'. When I first bought it I was getting a CATS SYSTEM FAULT message and a flashing symbol. Now I only get the flashing symbol [it looks a bit like a wheel hitting pavement]. I have no fault codes that I can report to date. Hitting the CATS button brings no response and no change.

Post Thanks / Like
    That doesn't sound like a fault with the SCP.

There's no harm in checking except for the time & effort spent doing so.

If you don't have a tool that can read codes from the various modules then maybe get one...

BTW have a look at the elec guide and you'll see vast amounts of your car are on the SCP so if it's not working you can expect a LOT of faults!! (Conclusion: at most there could be a fault only at the module you suspect, if there. This is what a suitable tool can reveal instantly.)
    Last edited by 04str; 12-01-19 at 10:21.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by muskox3437 View Post
    I think that the system is not working and that the car is always on 'firm'. When I first bought it I was getting a CATS SYSTEM FAULT message and a flashing symbol. Now I only get the flashing symbol [it looks a bit like a wheel hitting pavement]. I have no fault codes that I can report to date. Hitting the CATS button brings no response and no change.
    Interesting difference between your car and mine, I have no CATS button and AFAIK no flashing symbol as you describe - I had to check just in case I had missed them !

Most likely you have a failed module or suspension unit(s) - the SCP is really only a collection of wires, comms function in the modules, and terminator resistors, if the wiring is intact (likely, but corrosion isd not impossible) then any fault will be with the electronics. If your CATS module is in the same place as mine - in the boot - then damp could be an issue.

Again, a good code reader will give a better idea of where to look - assuming codes are available.
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/
    Wireless Phone Charger under Instrument Surround.
    Pictures of technical stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    The cars had a major redesign in creating the 4.2 (etc) - yours has some CAN, a lot less SCP, and many other changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    The cars had a major redesign in creating the 4.2 (etc) - yours has some CAN, a lot less SCP, and many other changes.
    Absolutely right.

Just had a look at the two electrical manuals for 1999/2002.5 and the CATS parts are almost identical, the 1999 CATS module actually has an additional serial network connection along with the SCP that both have.

From looking at the diagrams there was no obvious CATS switch in the system though, which makes sense as it is meant to have automatic operation, something supported by the presence of the accelerometers.

muskox3437 Just wondering if the switch you mention is for DSC/traction control instead ?
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point - it probably is the TC switch (in which case nothing to do with CATS).

Post Thanks / Like
    Prediction.

As the CATS warning has gone it is probably working fine, maybe the battery was flat ?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be high up my list of suspects.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the results using icarsoft i930

1, All Data stream of page
    2. Damper firm-error
    3. Damper firm - stay firm velocity threshold
    4. Damper firm - lateral acceleration.

So I now checked #2, DAMPER FIRM-ERROR instead of number one, which led to:

1. Damper firm-longitudinal acceleration
    2. Damper firm-low vehicle velocity
    3. Damper firm-long wave

Checked #2, leading to the next screen

1. Error messages [SCP]
    2. left damper firm
    3. override active

Checked #1, leading to the next screen with only one choice.

1. RIGHT DAMPER FIRM.

I then went back to SCREEN NINE and instead of checking #2, I checked # 3, Damper firm-stay firm velocity threshold. This led to the next screen and the following choices

4.Damper firm-longitudinal acceleration
    Which led to:

1. Error messages [SCP]

Which led to:

1. RIGHT DAMPER FIRM

I then backed up to DATA STREAMS and checked

1. DAMPER FIRM -LATERAL ACCELERATION, which led to DAMPER FIRM - LONGWAVE which led to OVERRIDE ACTIVE which led to RIGHT DAMPER FIRM
    2. DAMPER FIRM - LONG WAVE, which led to LEFT DAMPER FIRM which led to RIGHT DAMPER FIRM.

I then backed up to LEFT DAMPER FIRM which led to ERROR MESSAGES which led to RIGHT DAMPER FIRM
    I then backed up to DAMPER FIRM -LOW VEHICLE VELOCITY which led to ERROR MESSAGES [SCP] which led to RIGHT DAMPER FIRM.

There might be some transcription errors here but it would seem that all roads are leading to RIGHT DAMPER FIRM. Knowing little or nothing I would be suspicious of the right damper and its connection.

From these results we checked the manual which told us to check FC001. I have been unable to find any reference to this electrical circuit of manual.

This why I suggested that he ask You guys.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast