Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think that Jaguar will have a "Fire sale"?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that Jaguar will have a "Fire sale"?

My main, everyday vehicle, bought new, is now nearly 10 years old, so yesterday I watched the news and thought that now might be a good time to buy a new Jaguar to last me the next 10 years.

I went in a local main dealer to see what sort of deal I could get as a cash / no PX buyer on an, AWD, Petrol, XF (either saloon or estate), any colour but black must be light leather interior, 18" wheels, minimum spec. Willing to consider a demonstrator.

The salesman was incredibly helpful but sadly could not offer me anything, and as a new model is due, could not even order what I wanted!

I had hoped that they might have a "Fire sale" to shift some stock.............I did well 10 years ago at the bottom of Crash Gordon's Credit Crunch and got 35% off a new Nissan X Trail.

No luck yesterday so sit on my wallet for a while, as a second choice, I quite fancied the Audi A6 Allroad especially for reliability, but the interior looks like a coal shed.

Do you think that Jaguar will be forced to knock out some of the unwanted diesels cheap?

A diesel would be OK but would need to be very cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess only time will tell !
    Mercedes CLS AMG design Shooting Brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    what sort of deal I could get as a cash / no PX buyer
    There's your problem. No salesmen want to waste their time on a cash / no PX "buyer".
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

Post Thanks / Like
    No wonder that the company are in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    The XF X260 isn’t due a facelift till 2020, the XE facelift is this spring though. The current XF sportbrake has only been out since 2017. There are some good deals about if buying new, not so much on used cars.

Most people who want to buy cash, take out the finance deal, this gets the extra savings then pay off the balance immediately when its all setup.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    The XF X260 isn’t due a facelift till 2020, the XE facelift is this spring though. The current XF sportbrake has only been out since 2017. There are some good deals about if buying new, not so much on used cars.

Most people who want to buy cash, take out the finance deal, this gets the extra savings then pay off the balance immediately when its all setup.

That is odd Ian, the salesman was very experienced and keen to help, yes he suggested that dodge with the finance, which was fine with me. If it is truly 0% I might let it run as I can get 5% tax free in my ISAs ...........BUT he could not take and order for either the XF saloon or the Sportbrake in or near the spec that I wanted due to a significant model change in March / April. he said that I had to choose from vehicles "In the build program" or wait. Nothing in that program matched my preferred spec.

Jaguar / Land Rover are badly over committed to diesels at the moment and need to move rapidly on that one. Perhaps that has pulled plans forward?

One of you must be wrong????????

Not sure what to do now, as I am in no hurry I will probably wait and hope that there is a "No Deal Brexit" economic crash and a fire sale, or that the choice of petrol engines increases with the new range?

Maybe I should have a look at alternatives in the meantime? ..........But what to look at? Audi / BMW seem the main alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jaguar should make an electric E-Pace.
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
    That is odd Ian, the salesman was very experienced and keen to help, yes he suggested that dodge with the finance, which was fine with me. If it is truly 0% I might let it run as I can get 5% tax free in my ISAs ...........BUT he could not take and order for either the XF saloon or the Sportbrake in or near the spec that I wanted due to a significant model change in March / April. he said that I had to choose from vehicles "In the build program" or wait. Nothing in that program matched my preferred spec.

Jaguar / Land Rover are badly over committed to diesels at the moment and need to move rapidly on that one. Perhaps that has pulled plans forward?

One of you must be wrong????????

Not sure what to do now, as I am in no hurry I will probably wait and hope that there is a "No Deal Brexit" economic crash and a fire sale, or that the choice of petrol engines increases with the new range?

Maybe I should have a look at alternatives in the meantime? ..........But what to look at? Audi / BMW seem the main alternatives.
    Mild hybrids with 48v batteries are coming very soon, this switches the engine off completely under 17 kph/11mph and has 140Nm of torque to move about in the city. The XE is the first saloon to get this, the Evoque 2 is the first JLR vehicle with this technology. Next is the 1.5L ingenium petrol 3 cylinder hybrid which will have the same power output as the 20t 200Ps model.

As regards to the E-Pace that sits on the previous Evoque platform and would have to be significantly revised to be an all Electric vehicle. I can see the E-Pace going to the new Evoque platform in the next couple of years to lower costs further and perhaps bring it back to Halewood using the same assembly line as the new Evoque 2, they can currently use the old platform as it’s built under contract in Austria which lowers production costs for now.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

9. Likes Zero123 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't expect so. All manufacturers might need to be in on it, and there might not be the market.

I think that although the design end of the car manufacturing business has withdrawn on diesel development, there will be a slow natural parting of diesel engines at the consumer end.

That's my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    Mild hybrids with 48v batteries are coming very soon, this switches the engine off completely under 17 kph/11mph and has 140Nm of torque to move about in the city. The XE is the first saloon to get this, the Evoque 2 is the first JLR vehicle with this technology. Next is the 1.5L ingenium petrol 3 cylinder hybrid which will have the same power output as the 20t 200Ps model.

That really has ZERO appeal to me, I have no interest in electric / hybrids............I spend a fair bit of time in the US and still prefer 3.0l + V6s or Better still 4.0L + V8s petrol of course. You can get them there in many cars / SUVs that only offer a 2.0l (or less) oil burner in the UK.

I would actually like something like the "ground up remanufactured" Range Rover. Proper V8 with dual ratio box and diff lock.......NO unwanted electronics ABS, SRS, DSC, Cats / DPFs, keyless entry, pedestrian air bags etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast